Toning tush without squats?

OKay, I've heard that squats are the most important exercise for building a nice tush, but what about all the other exercises you can do? I've tried squatting. Many, many times. I've had someone try to teach me, I've spent hours on instagram and googling how to do different squats. Sumo, high bar, low bar... but I just don't feel like I'm getting the proper form correct. When I try them in the gym I feel like a complete idiot, like people are watching me and thinking, "What is she doing?" I do not feel comfortable at all.

So, I will use the machines. I will do lunges, donkey kicks, flutter kicks, and one move I don't know the name of. I hold a bar on top of my shoulders, place one foot on a bench and dip with the other leg and push back up with that side of my glutes, then switch. Most of the time I will get a nice sore feeling the next day. Do I absolutely have to incorporate squats or can I get a nice big, round booty doing these other exercises? I don't see why not, I am using my glutes after all...

Replies

• Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    The book "strong curves" has a lot of glute exercises, in fact that's pretty much the focus of the whole book. Not sure how effective they are as I haven't tried them yet, but it definitely has more focus on glutes than any exercise program I've seen.....
  • roldanis
    roldanis Posts: 4 Member
    Deadlifts are an excellent exercise that target your posterior chain. Glutes, hamstrings, and back. If you're wanting to target your glutes more use stiff legged deadlifts
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Great Thanks guys!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Try the goblet squat. Great way to learn the movement.
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/goblet_squats_101&cr=
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Agree with the strong curves recommendation.

Also, hip thrusts are probably the single best lift for your butt. Look up Brett Contreras for more recommendations/info.

Lastly, maybe you need to get over what you think other people are thinking and just do the lifts? Maybe it's all in your head?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    without squats?

hip thrusts, deadlifts.

also, stop overthinking it and just do some squats. If you want a good butt, you gotta earn it. You also have to want it.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Deadlifts and squats are your best bet. Here is the video I would use for proper squat form
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnV7vEi7Sz8

Also, once you get the proper form, make sure you are lifting heavy.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Brazilian Butt Lift. I love it. It's a lot of bodyweight lunges, squats and more.
  • leg press is also good.
  • helen8328
    helen8328 Posts: 36 Member
    If you google kettle bell squats you should find lots of easy tutorials for squats without using bars. I made loads of progress doing these and you can also use Dumbbells for some exercises. Just remember to constantly squeeze your butt for the best results whatever you do.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    taunto wrote: »
    Deadlifts and squats are your best bet. Here is the video I would use for proper squat form

This is so helpful, thank you! Every time he paused the tape, I was getting anxious for the guy doing the squat - looked like he had to stay in that position while the guy talked, lol! Thanks for sharing!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    interesting, though - I note he is wrapping his thumb around. I understood that I was not supposed to do that. Is this a preference thing?
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member

So, I will use the machines. I will do lunges, donkey kicks, flutter kicks, and one move I don't know the name of. I hold a bar on top of my shoulders, place one foot on a bench and dip with the other leg and push back up with that side of my glutes, then switch. Most of the time I will get a nice sore feeling the next day. Do I absolutely have to incorporate squats or can I get a nice big, round booty doing these other exercises? I don't see why not, I am using my glutes after all...

That sounds like a Bulgarian Split Squat. I'm doing them now with a weighted backpack as a bodyweight progression that should one day end with one-legged, unassisted squats. Here's a youtube on the BSS. Note that if you place your front leg further out, it engages more of your glutes. Also note that you should work one leg at a time and THEN switch legs.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2C-uNgKwPLE

And if you're interested, here's a link to the bodyweight squat progression. Note that the BSS is the 5th progression in a total of 13. startbodyweight.com/p/squat-progression.html
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    4leighbee wrote: »
    interesting, though - I note he is wrapping his thumb around. I understood that I was not supposed to do that. Is this a preference thing?

For me its a preference thing. Different people have different grips that work for them better.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Agree with the strong curves recommendation.

Also, hip thrusts are probably the single best lift for your butt. Look up Brett Contreras for more recommendations/info.

Lastly, maybe you need to get over what you think other people are thinking and just do the lifts? Maybe it's all in your head?

This, Storng Curves did wonders for my butt. Hip thrusts FTW. Also lunges, split squats and other single leg variations might be a good idea. Dead lifts. Step ups. Don't forget about your smaller glute muscles either (glute med and min). Try x-band walks, cable abductions etc.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited February 2015
    Also, before you do any of those exercises, activate your glutes by squeezing them for like a minute. Both sides together, and then one at a time. And when you're doing any of the above exercises, focus on your glutes. Make them work.

Bret Contreras' blog has lots of info too.
  • taunto wrote: »

Hi if I want to do the squats as you showed in your vidio and I alrady have knee pain ( got it from doing squats the way you said its wrong