Favorite boneless, skinless chicken breast recipes!

lisawinning4losing
lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
edited February 2015 in Recipes
Lately as I've been trying to adopt healthier eating habits, I've been making a lot of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I know they're a favorite go-to source of lean protein, so I'm sure many of you must have some favorite recipes. I'm pretty lazy, so I usually just thrown them straight in the skillet with a little bit of olive oil or butter, some seasonings like dried onion and garlic powder, or whatever I want, and maybe some low calorie marinade. I'm looking for more quick, easy ideas on how to prepare boneless, skinless chicken breasts. How do you like yours?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    I like to take a chicken breast and brown it on both sides then melt some mozzarella cheese on it and add spaghetti sauce. I serve it with a small portion of angle hair pasta.

I usually cut the breast in half to make it thinner to make up for the cheese calories. It's suppose to be a mock chicken parmesan. It would probably be healthier with spaghetti squash instead of pasta.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    pesto chicken with whole wheat pasta or zuchini noodles.........baked chicken with panko breading or whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs ......buffalo chicken ....I get a lot of ideas from skinnytaste.com....emilybites.com .....canyoustayfordinner.com and chef-in-training.com
  • lisawinning4losing
    Ohh, I love pasta with spaghetti sauce, but had to cut way down on it! But that's a great idea to make a mock chicken parm, with just a small portion of pasta on the side, and some veggies!
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Sometimes I boil my chicken breasts instead of bake them. Then, when I want a really quick, tasty meal, I shred one, warm it in a pan with some butter, and then sprinkle it with a tablespoon or two of Parmesan cheese. Mix it up and enjoy as is, or serve it on noodles, or add cooked peas or chopped broccoli for some healthy fiber.
  • Atagi73
    Atagi73 Posts: 96 Member
    I use Mccormick's Grill Mates - Montreal Chicken Seasoning but sparingly it is high in sodium sadly, but the flavor is awesome, especially if you Bake the chicken wrapped in foil to keep the juices in.
  • Barbs2222
    I also like to marinade the chicken in different sauces. My favorite is mesquite but my hubby likes Asian ones. Sorry I don't have the recipes, I have to look something up every time. I don't usually buy the ones from the store because my hubby has to avoid salt because of high blood pressure. But when I used too I really liked them.
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    I love making a "Slow Cooker Chicken 'Curry'".
    1 1/2 c chopped onion, 1 med bell pepper chopped, 1 lb boneless chicken bite sized, 1 c. salsa, 2tsp fresh ginger grated, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2tsp red pepper flakes, 1/4 c. chopped cilantro, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp salt, cooked rice (optional)... Also optional is a 1/2 cup-1 cup bite-sized potatoes and/or cooked chickpeas... Basically, in your slow cooker, you layer down chicken, onion and bell pepper. If you want to add any potatoes or chickpeas, you can put them over this layer. Mix the ginger, garlic, red pepper into your salsa and pour it over. As for the cook time, it seems like it was about 3-4 hrs on high or 5-6 on low. In your last half hour of cooking, mix the cilantro, curry, sugar, and salt together and sprinkle over the top. Serve over rice, if you want, but you can shave calories by eating it more as a stew.

I also love making slow cooker white chicken chili, too.
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    There are soooooo many ways to make chicken. Sometimes I'll fillet the breast (so it's nice and thin), then sprinkle it with salt, pepper, cumin, chili pepper, and some lime zest. Saute it in a fry pan that's been sprayed w/cooking spray until browned on both sides. I serve it with a squirt of lime juice on top. Goes well w/salad, as meat for tacos, etc.....
  • pianoman1703
    pianoman1703 Posts: 4 Member
    Quick, easy, fail safe, 1 week supply. You can season each individual breast differently.
    thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-the-best-chicken-breasts-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453
  • lisawinning4losing
    Atagi73 wrote: »
    I use Mccormick's Grill Mates - Montreal Chicken Seasoning but sparingly it is high in sodium sadly, but the flavor is awesome, especially if you Bake the chicken wrapped in foil to keep the juices in.

Yup, me too! Like I said, I'm lazy! Lol! But they're pretty good, actually. I usually add a little extra garlic powder and black pepper. It even goes good with some marinades, like a garlic and herb marinade.

I usually like to have it with steamed vegetables. Recently I made a teriyaki chicken and broccoli stir fry with just a little bit of brown rice. Trying to cut down on carbs.

• Usually I cook them as is, make some jasmin rice on the side with some veggies. Then add some peanut sauce to them. DELICIOUS!
  • Barbs2222
    edited February 2015
    Atagi73 wrote: »

^^This, I think I'm just a very slow at typing :)

CariJean64 wrote: »
    Sometimes I boil my chicken breasts instead of bake them. Then, when I want a really quick, tasty meal, I shred one, warm it in a pan with some butter, and then sprinkle it with a tablespoon or two of Parmesan cheese. Mix it up and enjoy as is, or serve it on noodles, or add cooked peas or chopped broccoli for some healthy fiber.

^^This sounds delicious and may be what's for dinner tonight.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    edited February 2015
    I prepare Sunday dinner for my kids and grandkids and then use the left overs for lunch at work. I never cook the same way twice and only use cookbooks for ideas that I change. Here are some recent ideas that I had.

Chicken in bean soup. I diced the chicken breasts and added it along with diced veggies and spices to beans that I had cooked through the night and then simmered the lot on Sunday until dinner time. Vary the beans and the flavor varies a lot. My granddaughter and one of the grandsons are particularly partial to large lima beans. I also add diced chicken to split pea soup and lentils instead of ham. Modern grocery store ham has -0- flavor anyway, so you are not missing anything but the sodium that is pumped in with the injected water. (When you were raised on a hog farm modern pork sucks.)

Diced boiled chicken, cooked barley, frozen peas and green beans, mixed with seasonings and a white or red sauce and topped with bread crumbs baked in a casserole.

Use chicken breast strips instead of beef strips for a stoganoff like dish.

Grease, oil or PAM the bottom of a casserole pan. Line the pan with corn tortillas. Place layers of diced boiled chicken breasts, cooked beans, enchilada sauce, green chilis and tortillas. Top with cheese to seal in the moisture and bake.

I cut chicken breasts in strips and boil and then store in fresh cold water in the refrigerator. Take several strips to work in a zip lock baggie to use in a sandwich, wrap or salad.

Other lunch-on-weekend ideas when I am solo, or there are only a couple of us, are chicken breasts baked with garlic cloves and either broccoli or zucchini.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Sometimes I shred them and put them into or with just about any flavored anything like soups, stews, tacos, sandwiches, mix with an egg or egg white, some chopped sun dried tomatoes and italian herbs and make a quick rough patty and bake.

I like making my own chicken nuggets too. Sometimes I do kind of an asian flare using some soy sauce (to get wet for breading or just to flavor), drop or two sesame oil, ginger, citrus of any type, touch of heat, etc. It is never the same twice and if you want them breaded, try grinding oats or flax or something of that nature. It doesn't take much to make a little light crust. I also sometimes just salt, pepper and lightly bread with the oat or flax, then make my own honey mustard with just favorite mustard and some honey. You can also brush the chicken with mustard, then bread or not and cook. Then drizzle with honey. Dang now I want this LOL. I think it's time for lunch...everything sounds good.
  • jenlew217
    jenlew217 Posts: 2 Member
    I put chicken breast in the crock pot with a jar of salsa and a packet low sodium taco seasoning. Cook on high 4 hrs. Then use my kitchen aid to shred it. It is great on corn tortillas or with a big pile of lettuce, a little cheese, and other veggies. I have it cooking now! :smiley: stores great to for lunches for the week.
  • Pecan crusted chicken. Super easy and delicious. Dip thin chicken breast in egg white, then coat with mixture of ground up pecans and parsley. Bake for an hour on 350°.
  • honeyvee89
    honeyvee89 Posts: 74 Member
    I love to either bash out, season, grill and then slice them or throw them in the slow cooker. Salsa is my go-to added ingredient in the slow cooker as I can use the chicken in wraps, on salads, with eggs, with pasta/rice/potatoes etc. Curry powder and low fat coconut milk, a can of cream of mushroom soup or a little BBQ sauce bulked up with some stock have also been great additions.

If I use the slow cooker I tend to shred the chicken as it keeps the macros more accurate.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    Our latest addiction is super simple and so tasty.

I fry up a good 2 tablespoons of minced garlic until fragrant, then brown 2 chicken breasts (cut in half lengthwise to make thin chicken steaks) in the same pan. Once both sides are browned, add half a cup of chicken stock or broth then simmer covered until the chicken is cooked. Take the chicken out, add more stock to make it back up to about half a cup (if needed) then add 2 tablespoons of sour cream mixed with 2 teaspoons of corn flour. Stir until it thickens, scraping up all the garlic and crunchy bits, then pour the garlic sauce over the chicken. We have had it with mashed potato, or pasta salad, or just steamed veg and it is absolutely delicious!
  • lisawinning4losing
    Our latest addiction is super simple and so tasty.

I fry up a good 2 tablespoons of minced garlic until fragrant, then brown 2 chicken breasts (cut in half lengthwise to make thin chicken steaks) in the same pan. Once both sides are browned, add half a cup of chicken stock or broth then simmer covered until the chicken is cooked. Take the chicken out, add more stock to make it back up to about half a cup (if needed) then add 2 tablespoons of sour cream mixed with 2 teaspoons of corn flour. Stir until it thickens, scraping up all the garlic and crunchy bits, then pour the garlic sauce over the chicken. We have had it with mashed potato, or pasta salad, or just steamed veg and it is absolutely delicious!

Mmm, I love garlic, so that does sound delicious!

Thanks everyone, I got some good ideas. I like the idea of cooking them in salsa, because I love salsa, and it's low in calories. I bet you could just cook it in salsa in the skillet. Why not? Same thing with curry powder or curry sauce. In fact, I might already have some curry powder. Curry is a very healthy thing to eat, too.