Daily Check-in : It's the Fitness Fever-ary

Replies

• DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    edited February 2015
    I never lift on weekends, so yesterday I did cardio (two workouts from Turbo Jam, I think I missed the genuine motivation of Chalene Johnson), and today, I did a mix of cardio and yoga, with 30 day shred (level 2) and the Stretch DVD from T25.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    symba1130 wrote: »
    Sad part...I cried more because I hurt myself and this is derailing my program than the actual pain. 6mths of this and now I injure myself!!!

injuries are so hard :( resting them is okay while they're still hurting you, because then at least you know you're doing the right thing for them. but once they start to feel better and you're trying to re-strengthen them, it's so darned hard to know how far to push. i've been in that weird uncertainty state for a while, and i don't like it at all.

lots of sympathy.

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Good day overall:
    2x5@45lbs squats, then 1x3@75lbs, then 5x5@110lbs. Tough but doable.
    5,5,5,4,3@55lbs on OHP. Third fail so the app said to go down to 45lbs next time.
    1x5@135lbs on DL, then 1x5@155lbs. What's the best way to handle the grip pain with DL? I feel like my callouses get pinched and HURT during the heavier deadlift.

Followed that with 3x8 inverse rows off the smith machine bar, then 3x5 renegade rows and 10 min of HIIT on the treadmill.

Did day 2 of 100 push-ups app when I got home, so 34 push-ups.

Hopefully all the rows and push-ups will help with my overall upper body strength!
  • symba1130 wrote: »

Going to be taking some time to heal and will be probably looking into something to help strengthen my back before I come back to DL. I have a major love/hate relationship with them at the moment.

I hurt my back many years ago and it can give me problems from time to time. I have increased very slowly with my DLs for this reason (and to get the form down). Maybe you should go to physiotherapist to see what they can recommend? I hope it heals quickly...
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited February 2015
    This morning's workout went pretty well. I have been reading MR's SS book and I think it is going to majorly help me with my lifts!

Warmup
    5 minute bike
    1 minute arm swings
    2 minute kettlebell swings
    1 minute jumping jacks

Lifts
    Squats 5x5 100 lbs (yay!!!!)
    Press 4x5 then 1x4 47.5 lbs (I'll stay at this weight again)
    DL 1x5 80 lbs, 90 lbs, 105 lbs

So, after reading most of SS I realized I was not doing my DLs correctly. I deloaded and did with proper form. I think I will be able to progress now. For the press--the one set where I only made 4 reps, I took a breath between the reps. The other sets I did it on one breath (valsalva maneuver) for all of the reps. This actually worked better. I think I will continue with one large breath per set from now on. So happy about my squats!!!

Accessories
    Bicep Curls 3x10 35 lbs
    Calf Raises 3x20 50 lbs
    Knee Pushups 2x10

ETA:
    When I was done, I went back and did some more squats: 2x10 @ 75 lbs ATG. Just....because!
  • Good day overall:
    5,5,5,4,3@55lbs on OHP. Third fail so the app said to go down to 45lbs next time.
    1x5@135lbs on DL, then 1x5@155lbs. What's the best way to handle the grip pain with DL? I feel like my callouses get pinched and HURT during the heavier deadlift.

Followed that with 3x8 inverse rows off the smith machine bar, then 3x5 renegade rows and 10 min of HIIT on the treadmill.

Hopefully all the rows and push-ups will help with my overall upper body strength!

Your overall strength is pretty awesome!!!! Great job.
  • DaivaSimone
    This morning's workout went pretty well. I have been reading MR's SS book and I think it is going to majorly help me with my lifts!

Warmup
    5 minute bike
    1 minute arm swings
    2 minute kettlebell swings
    1 minute jumping jacks

I like this warm up! Not sur I am able to do one minute jumping jacks, but still, I will probably try it.

• DaivaSimone
    Workout B this morning. I thought that the diet break would help with the load, but no, I was repeating and failing things I had done before. It was a little bit sad in some ways.

Warm up: 12 minutes on the bike

Squats: 2x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 85, 1x5 @ 100, 5x5 @ 110. First set hurted my elbow a little bit, and I remembered I had the same issue next week. My grip is to narrow and I am breaking my wrist on the bar, and that puts pressure on my elbow. I took my time to adjust my grip­, and it felt way better, but my elbow is still a little bit sensitive, so I'll have to watch that. Not sure I'm ready to jump to 115 pounds.

OHP: I did 1 sets at 45 pounds and barely finished it. Failed on my first attempt at 50 (did four reps, was not able to lift the fifth), then I did 4x5 @ 50. I was able to do 5x5 @ 50 last week, so I was a little bit sad to fail on that one.

Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 50, 1x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 115. The first two sets were easy, the last one needed some sumo rep to be completed. I don't know what I will do with that one, I feel stalled.

Accessories:

60 secondes plank on the BOSU.

Then, foam rolling and stretch.

I took a little longer than usual too. Maybe I'm just tired.
  • fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 59 Member
    I was supposed to do A saturday morning but had worked night shift Friday night and was really busy and really tired so didn't as we had a load of family stuff on later in the day. I worked night shift last night-manic again- and then I had a dental appointment for a filling on the way home.

I went and started the warm up and squatting when I got home but it felt so heavy (was doing 62.5kg) and my form wasn't going to be great so I just abandoned it and went for a nap for a couple of hours instead. It is now going to be WEdnesday so that will almost be a week break. At least then I should have caught up on sleep and be more prepared mentally.

I feel a bit of a failure but better that than injuring myself.

Oh well :(

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Good day overall:

Your overall strength is pretty awesome!!!! Great job.

Thanks! My side goal (aside from progressing in Stronglifts) is to do a pull-up. We will see..I don't feel strong but thanks!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    symba1130 wrote: »
    So first off...I AM SOOOO MAD AT MYSELF!!
    Sad part...I cried more because I hurt myself and this is derailing my program than the actual pain. 6mths of this and now I injure myself!!!
    I totally get this! As someone who has been sidelined at my job by several back injuries, I know how frustrating it is. I feel like I know better, but it happened anyway, and then there seem to be a lot of people who don't believe you're really injured, and the best one was the doctor that told me I'll just have pain for the rest of my life and live with it.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    This is for yesterday

I did 30 minute treadmill workout C25K workout 2.

Lifts:

Squats: 5X5 75lbs
    OHP: 5x5 40lbs
    DL: 5X5 100lbs (I'm fairly certain I'l have to deload the n ext time)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    @symba :( So sorry to hear about your back. It really sucks when you get hurt. Always seem to happen when we hit a good a stride, too, doesn't it? Don't let it get you down! I'm sure you'll come back stronger!

I see everyone is still killing it! I'm really happy about this morning's session. It was basically a repeat of last week's, but with a slightly diff rep range and 1 more round of the interval.

I worked up to a heavy 235x2 on the deadlift (I'd only previously done 225 AND 235 for singles before. So the 2 doubles were awesome!)
    AND an 87.5x2 on OHP! My tested 1RM being 90, this is pretty big!

Went up in weight on the DB RDLs (30 lbs) and rows, and managed a few more reps per round on the power cleans and thrusters. intervals were 30/45 today, for 5 rounds, so less rest than last week, and more reps. That's cool, right? =D

And I finished with a 3min AMRAP of burpee broad jumps. From 20 last week which I was disappointed in, I got 24 this week. I started getting light headed and super shaky around the 11th rep, so it was all I could do to keep moving. I was shooting for at least 25. Guess I'll take it! Last night's cheat might've very well been worth it (but also the cause of my lightheadedness... Ah well)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Workout B
    Squat 170 lbs 5/5/5/4/5 I am starting to be fussier on my form so I didn't count my last rep of my 4th set.
    OHP 75 lbs I did really good on this last time but today I did 1 rep and knew it just wasn't happening this week. Loaded it up for 65 lbs and did 5/5/5/4/4 not sure why but my upper body was just a lot of not having it
    DL 205 lbs 1x3 blah I feel like I will never get passed this. I think I need to re-evaluate my form. Maybe that will get me passed this wall I keep hitting.

I am thinking that March I will move on to a program that's more geared toward conditioning rather than pure strength that 5x5 seems to focus on.
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    No workout today because the gym is closed for President's day or whatever stupid holiday. Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    I started c25k today. Today was week 1 day 1. I've done the program before and it was always very hard, even the first day, but today was actually pretty easy for me. I think it helped that I've been walking for 3 miles twice a week for the last four weeks.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    So I learned (maybe relearned) a big lesson today... regarding how many of our limitations are truly in our head. Essentially, the whole "clear your mind of can't" sort of philosophy. I guess the other lesson learned is don't go to the gym when the trainers are bored. Same trainer who spotted me for a 100 lb bench last week, apparently had time to kill again today, and wanted to see if we could close the gap on my squat/bench discrepancy. And well... we did... 2x5 @105 squat!!! It was not spectacular, and required some pep talking, and although he was assuring me I was getting low enough... I feel that there was a BIG form difference between 65 and 105... so I know I need to settle here for a while... but still.. I felt 65 was hard... and apparently it's not really and was just in my head as a limitation..

Other than that... I need to work on cardio more... my lifting gains have been AMAZING the last 6 weeks... but cardio has definately been ignored.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited February 2015
    Awe, hope you heal up and get back to it soon symba. Back injuries are one of the worst.

Workout B today.
    Squats 5x5 at 170#.
    OHP 5x5 at 95#. First time I've gotten 95# for 5x5. I usually normally fail on a set or two.
    Deads 1x5 at 195. These felt heavy yet easy today. I'm thinking 200 might be next workout b day.

Did some accessory work as well.
    Dumbbell Arnold press 5x10 with 25# each hand.
    Lat pull down medium grip 3x10 with 70#.
    Lat pull down with wider grip behind the head 3x10 at 70#.
    Walking lunges 3x24 at 60#.

Did some stretching in the sauna for my tight hips. Then walked a mile to cool down.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Reno break over, back to it.

Workout B (Mon)

Dumbbell Skis - 5 x 10 - 40

squats 5 x 5 - 145

Deadlifts 1 x 5 - 165

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 65

Underhand Bicep Curls - seated 5 x 5 - 90

Reverse Curls 5 x 5 - 90
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Thankfully I recovered with the bar without injury but it really upset me. I started panicking which led to me having trouble breathing which led to me starting to tear up which made me even more upset… In the few minutes it took to calm myself down, the other rack opened up so I moved over.
    Which makes you a winner, because you kept at it and didn't quit, go you!