Lower cal junk foods

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    lizzocat wrote: »
    There's always one or two people in every thread where someone uses the term 'healthy' or 'junk food' or the like to try to point out that there is no 'bad' food and 'healthy' is relative.

But junk food is a pretty common term, and I'm pretty sure we all know what the OP means when she asks for junk food crap.

So it's not right for someone to explain why foods are just food? We should just continue to label and chastise food based on misconceptions then, huh? Seems fair.

I disagree, food is not just food. Yes, for weightloss, you can lose weight eating doritos if you stay at a deficit, but it's not as nutritionally sound (macro and micro) as someone eating a balanced diet.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating less nutritionally dense food every now and then, an overall healthy diet can (and I think should) include these foods, but that doesn't change the facts.

My main issue is that the OP didn't ask if it's okay to eat junk food, or even about her diet. She used a relatively common term, junk food, to ask for suggestions. We all know what she meant, I don't think it's helpful to point out that 'food is food' and derail her question

See, but that's how you see it. Just think it's totally helpful to clarify that foods are food. It's still a valid statement. I think it was more the excessive "junk food crap" that made me twitchy lol.

Yes, getting proper nutrition is important but I could argue a McDonald's grilled mcwrap has more nutritionally then an avacado and may fit better in someone's day, depending on their goals. I didn't mean to get everyone's panties in a knot.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited February 2015
    There's always one or two people in every thread where someone uses the term 'healthy' or 'junk food' or the like to try to point out that there is no 'bad' food and 'healthy' is relative.

But junk food is a pretty common term, and I'm pretty sure we all know what the OP means when she asks for junk food crap.

So it's not right for someone to explain why foods are just food? We should just continue to label and chastise food based on misconceptions then, huh? Seems fair.

I disagree, food is not just food. Yes, for weightloss, you can lose weight eating doritos if you stay at a deficit, but it's not as nutritionally sound (macro and micro) as someone eating a balanced diet.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating less nutritionally dense food every now and then, an overall healthy diet can (and I think should) include these foods, but that doesn't change the facts.

My main issue is that the OP didn't ask if it's okay to eat junk food, or even about her diet. She used a relatively common term, junk food, to ask for suggestions. We all know what she meant, I don't think it's helpful to point out that 'food is food' and derail her question

I really don't know what "sweet type junk food crap" means. I mean, go in a clean eating community, and they'll tell you brownies are fine as long as they're made from scratch.

ETA: And if I can get my protein requirement eating a chicken sandwich from Wendy's, by golly, that's what I'm going to do.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire

See, but that's how you see it. Just think it's totally helpful to clarify that foods are food. It's still a valid statement. I think it was more the excessive "junk food crap" that made me twitchy lol.

Yes, getting proper nutrition is important but I could argue a McDonald's grilled mcwrap has more nutritionally then an avacado and may fit better in someone's day, depending on their goals. I didn't mean to get everyone's panties in a knot.

jinx.
  • Phoenix_Down

jinx.

:wink:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Wow this post got awfully serious. Thanks for the suggestions, those of you you gave them.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member

I feel you, phoenix. I think your original post came off as "I'm too good to eat junk food" when you actually meant something more along the lines of "I can eat my damned taco bell because I damn well planned for it." Unfortunately, both of those ideologies will get you hated on MFP, but hey, What's life if you're not pissing off someone?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    To those that need clarification my post is called "being facetious" to prove a point but apparently many are still comfortable with labeling foods because it makes it easier mentally to want to avoid such foods if we make them sound bad.

Go ahead though, peek your eye holes in my diary. It is lightly amusing.

I'm well aware of my intake...maybe, unless fairies come fill it for me in my sleep and ads things like "zumba". Damn Zumba fairies.
    Also
    To point out
    I did not call it "junk food" because I want to avoid it.
    Clearly I am NOT trying to avoid, based on my asking for suggestions
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    hesn92 wrote: »
    To those that need clarification my post is called "being facetious" to prove a point but apparently many are still comfortable with labeling foods because it makes it easier mentally to want to avoid such foods if we make them sound bad.

I'm well aware of my intake...maybe, unless fairies come fill it for me in my sleep and ads things like "zumba". Damn Zumba fairies.
    Also
    To point out

Still missing the point.
  • nikkerbob
    nikkerbob Posts: 78 Member
    PaytraB wrote: »
    I like the pizzelle waffle cookies, too.
    Fiber 1 has some low cal and tasty treats. I haven't tried but heard that their brownies are delicious. I recently tried the Lemon bars and they were nice.
    There are some tasty, fairly low cal (130-ish) granola/trail mix bars out there with dried fruit for sweetness. True To Nature bars come to mind (although there are countless options). I look for the ones higher in fiber and lower in sugar.

THEY ARE DELICIOUS !!! I have one every morning, its a nice treat, plus you get your fiber!

Also popcorn is good as well as sun flower seeds are my go to treats. Ice Cream once in awhile..
  • Phoenix_Down
    hesn92 wrote: »

Also
    To point out

The point was you called it that at all is a clear need to make a black and white difference in foods that one can and gas arguably shown can also be functional in a diet. That was my point. And kudos to you for wanting to partake in more of a moderation standpoint
  • Phoenix_Down
    moe0303 wrote: »

I feel you, phoenix. I think your original post came off as "I'm too good to eat junk food" when you actually meant something more along the lines of "I can eat my damned taco bell because I damn well planned for it." Unfortunately, both of those ideologies will get you hated on MFP, but hey, What's life if you're not pissing off someone?

:heart: I think I'm just skilled at the art of "anger all the peoples". It's a sub ability right next to paladin.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Go for 100 calorie packs - Keebler makes some. That way you can still have your cookie indulgence without breaking the calorie bank! Also, fiber one brownies are great with only 90 calories. Smartpop popcorn is a good option too.
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    edited February 2015
    Mini Cadbury eggs: 40 cals each (the chocolate with creme filling kind)
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member

Ok, I totally understand you. I don't think we really think too differently at all, and I get that 'junk food' was a trigger word for you, because a lot of people are crazy about saying that you can't eat this, you can't eat that, some food is bad, some is good, etc. etc.

But, so here's my question- how would you phrase her question then? Snack foods? But snack foods could be like, carrots or string cheese, and that's not what she was looking for. I'm not sure what the better descriptor would be
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    I love an oz of gourmet hard cheese when I want a snack that is tasty and not a lot of cals. An oz is actually quite a lot when it is a really good strong tasting cheese- i can nibble on it for a while while trying TV and be really satisfied for 110 cals. It also provides some nutrition so not sure if it is is "junk" enough. Haha.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member

I really don't know what "sweet type junk food crap" means. I mean, go in a clean eating community, and they'll tell you brownies are fine as long as they're made from scratch.

ETA: And if I can get my protein requirement eating a chicken sandwich from Wendy's, by golly, that's what I'm going to do.

The original OP did use keebler cookies as an example to illustrate what she meant by sweet type junk food crap

I feel like we're arguing two different points. I honestly can't think of a better descriptor for the type of food the OP wants suggestions for. It's all semantics, it's the implication behind the word - is she using 'junk food' to label this type of food as 'bad' or is she using it as a descriptor for a certain type of snack food (i.e, carrots can be a 'snack food' but clearly that's not the type of snack food suggestions she's looking for)
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    For everyone having a hard time with the OP's use of "junk food," I believe she was just using a colloquial term to best convey what she is looking for. She's not intentionally calling any food junk, so don't get your panties in a bunch. I'll further convey that that is an expression for the next internet troll who is pining to say, "I don't wear panties."

On a more helpful note, Tostitos bite-sized round have 260 calories per 50 g or 40 chips, but I find that half that serving is plenty with a good side of salsa (which is very low in calories), so for 150 calories I can have a a 1/4 cup of salsa and 25 g of chips (which I've found always weighs out to 20 chips, as listed).

I remember weighing out Reese's pieces once and being surprised how little calories they amounted to, so those too. I don't have the numbers off hand though.

Wafer cookies are pretty low in calories.

I'm not usually a fan of anything marketed as low-fat or low-calorie but I've had Skinny Cow products (as a previous poster mentioned) at my mum's before and they were pretty good.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    popcorn
    snack size chocolates
    mints
    skinny cow chocolate bars (these are yummy regardless of being healthy)
    skinny pop flavored varieties
    airheads
    small bags of candies
    jelly beans
    single serving bags of chips
    york peppermint patties
  • Phoenix_Down

Ok, I totally understand you. I don't think we really think too differently at all, and I get that 'junk food' was a trigger word for you, because a lot of people are crazy about saying that you can't eat this, you can't eat that, some food is bad, some is good, etc. etc.

But, so here's my question- how would you phrase her question then? Snack foods? But snack foods could be like, carrots or string cheese, and that's not what she was looking for. I'm not sure what the better descriptor would be

Yeah, I figured from your other posts we had similar frames of mind, I just took it more to heart the term "junk ". I do think snack might have been appropriate of a descriptor and while it would have gotten some things like you said, maybe sweet snacks might have helped?

I bounce my snacks from carrots and hummus to girl scout cookies, depending on my palate preference and being on here has made me appreciate whole foods I might have turned down prior, as well as some ice cream (Talenti gelato fiend here).

Eh, either way I hope this has been a helpful unintentional derailment xD
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    How about "high crave snack foods". Or sweet snack/savoury snack?