What's it like to have your body?

tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
in terms of height, weight, shape, physical capacity, sports preferred? what's the view like where you are? what are your goals? i'll start

basics:
- i'm 5'7, 5'9 in my boots. broadish shoulders, kind of a rectangle shape or whatever. i like being this height :) i can reach things on most shelves. most people where i live are my height or (often) shorter, so i can usually see over people's heads when i walk around
- somatotypes are kind of bull, but say they're not - meso-endo, with normal consumption

capacity:
- not a marathoner, or any good at endurance, like at all - tend to fatigue quickly (although i've been building this up a bit and want to try rowing when i can)
- much more of a short bursts of power person.
- before my joints started sucking, i'd have considered myself fairly strong, without having to work too hard at it. i didn't mind helping people move furniture, for example.
- very flexible; hypermobile in a number of joints (could do high kicks to the head, splits, no problem).
- good at dance, volleyball, and baseball (really good at catching)
- was good at horseback riding for the time i did that
- absolutely terrible at running.

goals:
- right now my body is vulnerable because of mild osteoarthritis and a few soft tissue injuries. i'm hoping i can be smarter about my workouts than i've been in the past. i want to protect my joints and get them as functional as possible
- working on getting rid of 15 of 20 lbs regained after a 50-lb loss
- last time, i didn't lift enough and wasn't thrilled with the results from cardio. this time, want to build muscle however i can, for health (and looks, ok).

but a good thing to have come from the injuries - i'm much more accepting of whatever kind of body will result. last time, i think i was caught up in the idea of totally reshaping my body into something really different. now, i'm going to be totally ok with carrying some fat. i've put 15 lbs as my amount to lose, because i am more comfortable when i'm sleeker and lighter, but if it's less than that and i just feel strong and light, i'll be happy.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Love my body, but I always did even when I was 48lbs heavier :open_mouth:

I weigh heavy for my size eg I'm 165lbs at 5'8 but in a size 6-8 US (10-12 UK) ...the only reason I'm annoyed at that is that it's making my ability to master a single pull-up a total and complete ar$e

I love how fit and strong I've become, that I've no need for asthma meds and have almost knocked my anxiety issues on the head

I still have a chronically lazy, overweight sod in the background of me but she's so much smaller than she was 9 months ago ...if I can keep her there for another couple of years she may well disappear
  • I don't like my body too much at the moment. But I'm working on it. I'm 5'2, and a cross between a rectangle shape (no hips) and an apple (portruding belly). Being short is a challenge. Esspecially when it comes to reaching things on upper shelves, although my "methods" are quite amusing to other people.

I'm also quite weak. Well very weak. In my opinion. But my PT says its not as bad as I think it is.

Right now I have to lose 5kg. After that, I will do a bulk and build some muscle and improve my strength. Hopefully change my bodyshape as well.
    My endurance in exercise is subjective to my environment. When I'm at home, I don't push myself so hard. But when I know other people are watching me (like my personal trainer) I push myself much harder, and will exercise until failure.
    My trainer finds that amusing, since I'm one of those suffer in silence types...I usually make a squeek or something to let him know I need his help now. Haha
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    I'm 5"4, 95kg and a pure hourglass. My huge boobs (16G) make me look a lot skinnier than I am, because they stick out way past my belly. I'm very very celulite-y, and have skin that's very pale and scars/stretchmarks very easily. I'll never be the tanned, smooth skinned one that's for sure!

As for capacity, I'm surprisingly bendy for my size and lack of activity, and pretty quick. That's why I got rather good at Taekwondo rather quickly (looking at competing this year). I'm reasonably strong, though nowhere near what I used to be when I worked hospitality and could lift a full keg to chest height to stack them.

My goals are not to be slim. My husband likes bigger women, and I'm fine with being bigger, so I'm aiming for a size 12-14, probably about 10kg above my "healthy" BMI. The fact that my boobs don't shrink when I lose weight makes me feel better about aiming for that. But while not slim, I want to be fast and strong and fit. I need to get working on that with a little more dedication.

As for how I feel about it, I've learned to love my body, no matter it's size, in recent years with the help of an amazing partner. Right now I feel about it the way I'd feel about a project car in the garage - rusty, not in good shape, but its full of potential and will be a labour of love rather than a bleak obligation.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    My body is fine if not a little heavy at the moment. I just need to move a lot. Putting down the fork however isn't too difficult.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I love my body. It's an hourglass shape and I have broad shoulders and definite hips. My calves have really nice definition - My chiropractor is jealous of them. ;) I'm 5'3", but people think I'm taller until they come close to me - posture.

I have always had the basics, but I didn't just wake up one morning with a fit body.
  • Im 5"2.5, 140lbs. I'm an hourglass but now that I'm heavier its not as exaggerated. When I got married and was about 130lbs my measurements were 37-27-39 and I would love to get back there, although my ultimate aim is to get my waist down to 25 inches. I weigh about 10lbs more than I look, maybe thats because of my muscle. I love my body even now and I'm confident carrying it, but I'm in this to improve myself more :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    My body frustrates me.

My brain likes to go fast and live hard, riding that line of overtraining/overuse/bad decisions/adrenaline rush hard. My body can't always keep up. Sometimes it just gets tired. Sometimes it can't deal with outside pressure. It's normal. It is...human. For some reason I do not think I should be human. I think I should be able to push myself as hard as I want.

It's frustrating.

(ETA: This probably had more to do with what it's like to have my brain than my body, hehe.)
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    6'3" 158lbs (71KG) Great being able to reach almost anything and put christmas decorations up etc. Terrible for finding clothes that fit (long arms/legs - skinny)

I race bikes, my height means i have a higher center of gravity so thats bad for cornering. Good for endurance, terrible sprinter (though that is due to muscle build rather than height/weight)

Skinny hips and elbows can annoy my SO... being tall makes it hard to share a blanket and airplane seats can be annoying, though they're getting better.
  • desika8787
    desika8787 Posts: 99 Member
    I am 5'6'' and started with 167lbs - guess I was even around 170ish... I always had a very "female" body - hourglass for sure with some extra pounds on it. But I never disliked myself. The only thing I really did not like was my shape and fitness - both inexsitent that times... And that I looked ridiculous in a dress - but in a way I still do because I think I am just not the girl who is supposed to wear those dresses at all :smiley:

But I am happy that I started getting in shape with a lot of Jillian Michaels "help", a new cookbook, a new lifestyle. I love it! I LOVE my life now even I am far from perfect. I'd love to get some muscles, especially arms and calfs but when I look in the mirror I still like it. It is a different "me" than a year ago. A fitter one. A healthier one. And this is something very precious. :smile:

And I really hope that all of you start, re-start or are doing it already: loving yourself! :smile: Because it is worth it and every single person out there has a lot of great abilities. Sometimes you just have to find them :smile:
  • I'm 5'10 and have been told i'm mesomorph. I am overweight, I have about 42 inch waist line and want to reduce that to under 40. I have naturally wide shoulders and big legs. My trainer told me I'd be a natural if I were to take up olympic lifting or power lifting. For aesthetic reasons I am both happy and not happy. I like my size because I look strong but I want to lose a lot of body fat.

I have back pain sometimes but suffer of from neck pain due to a bulging disc. I have slight inflammation of the soles of my foot but it seems to be clearing up on its own. My shoulders creak and crack and I'm stiff all over but the workout program i'm doing called p90x has been awesome to balance out my body, lots of yoga and stretching in the program and I am moving better than I did last year.

My goals are basically to lose the bodyfat, i'm between 25-35% as a guess and i'd like to get down to a percentage where I can see my abs. Also want to be able to do 10 pullups in a row, start running again. add size to my arms, basically increase my strength in all bodyweight exercises since I don't go to a gym now.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    It's pretty good living in my current body. Strong, mobile, and decent endurance. Nothing like when I ran marathons, but good enough. I have a little bit of back tightness, I'm planning to get that worked out with a chiropractor though. It's not really pain, just stiffness when I wake up in the mornings before I get loosened up from moving around. My goals are to continue to get stronger and build my endurance back up, maybe lean out a little more, but that's not critical
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited February 2015
    I am ... sturdy, strong, consistent. My body can steadily move in one direction for hours. My shoulders and upper back were probably made for carrying things, which made buying prom dresses a source of great teenage angst (the zipper stopped mid-back). My legs are solid and strong from gymnastics, then running. I ask a lot of my body.

I am not ... dainty, lithe, graceful. I am pure entertainment in a fast-paced fitness class. I am the mother of three beautiful children. Consequently, I do not have a flat tummy. I'm learning to wear it with honor, because despite that ...

My body performs and I am blessed to be moving every day.

Edited to add goals: As I get older (43 now), I want to protect that which I love to do most - move steadily in one direction for a long period of time. The longer my distances are, though, the more my back is compromised. So - remove some weight, perfect my running form and strengthen my glutes/core so it can withstand the next 40 years. I am optimistic. xo
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    I'm happy with my body, after all it's the only one I've got. Regardless of how you look the human body is an incredible feat of engineering, and I feel sad for people who don't like their own body.
    I'm 5'7 but my excellent posture, and (over)confidence make me seem taller, I'm also an hourglass even at my highest weight (185lbs) but as I lose weight this time round I seem to be becoming more pear shaped, which I'm OK with. Most people don't realise I'm technically overweight still because I'm mostly T&A, But I still have about 15lbs left to lose to get to my goal.
    I felt so uncomfortable with my body when I started putting on weight at about 16, and overcompensated by being the sassy, fat, fun girl (especially when I started working in a pub at 18). It wasn't until after I was comfortable in my personal and financial life, that I addressed my emotions about my body and thought 'Eff this, I'm great! I have a house, an education and a (now)husband who would crawl over broken glass just to touch me, I'm in charge of everything!' So I just kind of fell into body confidence when I started taking care of other parts of my life.
    Really the only thing that frustrates me is my athleticism, I've never been fit not even as a lanky kid, or healthy even during my 12 years of vegetarianism. So exercising is a huge hurdle, I started running due to my interest in the bio-mechanics of it all and I'm still waiting patiently to catch the running bug. I find it easiest to 'fake it till I make it' and keep signing up for races and pretending I'm a runner.

That was huge, so umm, in answer to your original question, It's great to have my body because it and I have got to know each other a lot recently and it turns out it's capable of literally anything.
    Also, because I'm fine as hell.
  • whatyouwill
    whatyouwill Posts: 71 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    in terms of height, weight, shape, physical capacity, sports preferred? what's the view like where you are? what are your goals? i'll start

basics:
    - i'm 5'7, 5'9 in my boots. broadish shoulders, kind of a rectangle shape or whatever. i like being this height :) i can reach things on most shelves. most people where i live are my height or (often) shorter, so i can usually see over people's heads when i walk around
    - somatotypes are kind of bull, but say they're not - meso-endo, with normal consumption

capacity:
    - not a marathoner, or any good at endurance, like at all - tend to fatigue quickly (although i've been building this up a bit and want to try rowing when i can)
    - much more of a short bursts of power person.
    - before my joints started sucking, i'd have considered myself fairly strong, without having to work too hard at it. i didn't mind helping people move furniture, for example.
    - very flexible; hypermobile in a number of joints (could do high kicks to the head, splits, no problem).
    - good at dance, volleyball, and baseball (really good at catching)
    - was good at horseback riding for the time i did that
    - absolutely terrible at running.

goals:
    - right now my body is vulnerable because of mild osteoarthritis and a few soft tissue injuries. i'm hoping i can be smarter about my workouts than i've been in the past. i want to protect my joints and get them as functional as possible
    - working on getting rid of 15 of 20 lbs regained after a 50-lb loss
    - last time, i didn't lift enough and wasn't thrilled with the results from cardio. this time, want to build muscle however i can, for health (and looks, ok).

but a good thing to have come from the injuries - i'm much more accepting of whatever kind of body will result. last time, i think i was caught up in the idea of totally reshaping my body into something really different. now, i'm going to be totally ok with carrying some fat. i've put 15 lbs as my amount to lose, because i am more comfortable when i'm sleeker and lighter, but if it's less than that and i just feel strong and light, i'll be happy.

That reminds me of a brilliant quotation from Mike Leigh's 'Naked' when the protagonist is asked "what's it like to be you?". What a mad thing to have to answer that is.

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    I'm 6'4" 280 lbs. Due to my size, people think in really strong and ask me to help with heavy crap all the time. But in reality I have zero upper body strength. I also suck at basketball.

For most of my life, I'd be slightly winded going up a flight of stairs. My moobs are prominent, and have a large gut and a double chin.

But on January 1, 2016

I actually am strong, due to a year of lifting. My moobs, gut, and double chin are gone. No longer winded easily, I have finished several 5k, a 10k, a sprint triathlon, and a mud race.

My friends and family barely recognize me, and I enjoy my training, as well as outdoor hobbies like camping, hiking, rafting, and trail running. I am training for triathlon season, where I hope to complete a full distance and an xterra, starting to eye ironman distances.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    edited February 2015
    I'm 5'2 as well. Currently 189lbs and working on it! I guess I need to lose another 50 lbs to be the 'ideal' weight, so we'll see how that goes. I am very much a believer in slowly, slowly...

Shape-wise, I'm pretty much an hourglass - I pinch right in at the middle, always have, even when I was heavier, which I do like. But my big hips and bum and tum mean I'm bottom-heavy!

Physical capacity is fairly mixed. I had a very serious accident a few years back. I'm a lot better but it has caused ongoing problems with strength overall and flexibility in my right shoulder. I have had problems with my sacrum from trying Zumba and one ill-fated dive, and have had neck problems after doing crunches. My intercostal muscles also still seize easily, and I try to avoid contact sport because I damaged my teeth badly. So I'm still working on that...

Having said that, prior to the accident I cycled, swam a bit and did yoga, and really focused on the last two as part of recovery. I do pool and open water (up to 80 lengths, my dodgy shoulder won't allow more), cycle up to 25 miles and hugely got into Pilates as part of my recovery. I go twice a week at the moment. I also do yoga, Body Balance and am trying other things like Combat, as well as developing a gym/lifting routine. I want to start doing more stuff and pushing myself as time goes by.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I'm strong, think I'll keep it! :p
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I'm alittle squishy at the moment. I used to be 5'3 now I'm closer to 5'2 1/2 and at the moment about 143. Not really happy about that. I try to workout regularly but my laziness rears its ugly head to often. I try to eat well most of the time but I love food and I'm hungry. I am pretty strong for my size I enjoy lifting and light aerobics. Sometimes I have to take it easy, about 5 years ago I blew a disc in my back so sometimes it reminds me to stop. That's what it feel like to be me. :)
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    That's a very interesting question. I have only been losing weight for 40 days so this is very much my "before" body, would be nice to come later and compare how I felt.

Stats: it's 5'5" tall including the head :) and it weights 224 lbs, it is kind of a primeval mother-goddess shape (big belly, big boobs) and it's on the verge of middle age (38).

It can't run at all but it can walk and hike for hours, always could.

It can lift stuff, lifting more these days. Dreaming of the day when it will be able to lift itself once again, say, over a fence or onto a tree branch.

It doesn't like sitting behind a screen all day, neck gets stiff - too bad that's my profession, but exercise is helping.

It can do a lot more in general than I thought possible just 4 weeks ago, and that's not just from weight loss, it's more from actually moving a bit to remember its balance and whatever strength it did have. I mean, I thought I couldn't get off the floor in one movement but I totally can, even though I weigh 40% more than when I last tried it before, and I was half my current age. I can climb stairs that would kill me just a while ago. It's definitely remembering things it used to do and loves doing them again.

It can also learn new things - I always though it had horrible balance but it's learned to ride a bike and ice-skate in the past six months.

It loves food and hasn't regretted eating less of it as long as it can have anything it craves. It does have cravings, I think it is a very hedonist body in general, capable of great pleasure from food, movement, rest and, well... pleasure :)

Oh and thankfully it hadn't gotten to a stage to have any health issues yet, although it did have a BMI of 39.5 a few weeks ago. Writing that makes me feel so bad for neglecting it - what would it have done in a few years if I hadn't started taking care of it ?!

You know, overall I think it's not bad as bodies go, it was definitely worth saving and looking after :)
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    I'm 5'9" and haven't weighed myself in awhile but would guess I am holding steady at about 148lbs. and about 16-17% body fat.

I bounce between feeling really happy with my body and hating it. I am pear shaped, no boobs. Sometimes I want to take all of the $ in my savings and get a boob job and/or lipo on my saddlebags, thinking it would make me feel 100% happy with my body. But I know deep down that I would just find another "flaw" in myself. I am finding that as I get older, my body is more resistant to do the things I ask of it. I used to run long distances, but now am really only interested in running 4-5 miles once or twice per week just for cardiovascular fitness. Lifting is where it's at for me now.

Although the paragraph above sounds depressing, in reality, I feel like I am probably in pretty decent shape for a 46 year old woman.