Lifting and calorie consumption, help please?

I just started lifting this past week for the first time and I am SORE. I've been excited to start lifting and am getting help from my boyfriend on what to do. My question is, I've been really bad at putting in my foods lately and need to start back up. My current goal that map gave me is 1290 calories/day. I do want to lose weight while lifting, its one of my main goals along with gaining muscle, but I've heard people talk about needing more calories when lifting, even though it doesn't initially burn a ton a calories. Is 1290 too low if I'm lifting 4-5 times a week? (Heavy lifting, at least heavy for myself haha) or is that a good level? I would love your advice!

Replies

• trump1674
    trump1674 Posts: 7 Member
    Bodybuilding.com has a good calculator based on your stature.goal.workout routine. Its a good indicator on whats needed. 1290 seems low if your working out that much and remember protein intake is key.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    trump1674 wrote: »
    Bodybuilding.com has a good calculator based on your stature.goal.workout routine. Its a good indicator on whats needed. 1290 seems low if your working out that much and remember protein intake is key.

I agree. Bodybuilding has a great calculator as well as thousands of excellent articles and free programs to get you started.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    What are your stats? Height/current weight/how much do you want to lose? If you set your goal too aggressive, you are not going to have fun lifting on 1290

You have to work on losing fat before you build muscle, by the way. I cannot tell from your original post if you knew that or not.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Figure out the correct calories you need to lose weight at a reasonable rate. You didn't provide any stats so I can't comment on if 1300 is the right number for you. But once you have the right, I wouldn't suggest adding anything for lifting. Just make sure you're getting enough protein.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    185 pounds, 5'8, would like to lose 30-35 pounds as an end result.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    1290 is ridiculous with your stats. Lowest I would recommend would be 1500-ish (not quite a pound a week). And you're going to put on minimal muscle at that deficit...really the best you can expect is muscle sparing (which is still way better than losing muscle)