Should I lose weight first then do body building, or do them at the same time?

Hi everyone,

First of all, let me introduce myself and I thought it would be nice to share something.
It's been a year since I started my diet, I was almost 300 pounds (294 pounds to be precise) when I first started and thought I'm going to die with this much of a weight, thanks to constant hard work and plenty of motivations I am now 167.5 lbs, 5"8'.
I managed to get to 159 lbs at some point last December, but you know what happened during Christmas break. Haven't been exercising lately due to exams and stuffs. I'm 19 btw.

I now have quite some time to start going after my goal of 143 lbs that needs to be achieved before mid-May (planning on doing 2 lbs of weight loss in a week for 11 weeks). I don't have lots of stretchy skins, doesn't mean I don't have any, probably because I was taking it slow and ate healthy. Also, I didn't take any kind of medications, purely healthy food and plenty of exercises.

My exercise was only running, and I use Nike Running to track my run. Managed to run 10K everyday for two months last August and September. Now, my fitness level has dropped and I could barely run 5K. I could wear size S on clothes now. My not-so-pretty belly doesn't show when I'm on clothes, obviously, but it doesn't look as pretty as I expected beneath, yet. I want to be skinny but healthy looking, like Ryan Gosling. Don't want to look like Dwayne Johnson with that plenty of muscle, just don't fancy the look, maybe that's just me.

Enough with the story.

My original plan was to keep losing weight by running till I get to 143 lbs and then start body building. But I'm not sure whether that's the best choice, should I start body building as I lose some weight? If I do body building alongside with running, will it hinders my weight loss? Since I probably have to consume proteins etc.
The university accommodation that I live in has a gym facility, although it does not have as many equipment as a proper gym does, it probably would suffice for my needs.

If it's best to complement weight loss with body building, can you advise me on what exercise I should do to start with? Since all these equipment look very unfamiliar to me, except the treadmills of course :). Should I consume some protein shakes? What I'm afraid with protein shakes is it is intended to consume to gain some weight which is contradictory to what I'm trying to do. Then if this the case, why do people even bother to lift weights and diet at the same time. Since it seems to be contradictory. I mean what's the benefit.

Here's the equipment available on the facility provided by my accommodation:
(Sorry for the big pictures)
IMG_20150221_041321.jpg
IMG_20150221_041355.jpg
IMG_20150221_041409.jpg
IMG_20150221_041453.jpg
IMG_20150221_041502.jpg
IMG_20150221_041515.jpg
IMG_20150221_041529.jpg

Replies

• mahoganybrowne
    mahoganybrowne Posts: 88 Member
    I'm no expert, but honestly, I think you should maintain your slimming and lift weights at the same time to wake those muscles up so then when it's time for you to get brolic, you will be used to it already and you'll be ready!
  • Jyve
    Jyve Posts: 4
    If you haven't used weights before I'd say a couple of sessions with a personal trainer would be a top idea. Technique and posture are really important - you can easily injure yourself if you're not doing something right. :)
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    First and foremost, your body is pretty simple in terms of its "mode". When losing weight you can't gain muscle. Sorry, hope I don't get my head bitten off but seriously, look it up. Most people with long term success start by losing weight and getting to their ideal size. Then they work at maintenance and THEN add 200-500 calories with weight lifting.

On a side note, running is a great way to get into shape but only doing one activity is not ideal. Cross training with strength and another form of cardio is the typical aproach. Even though you wouldn't be building muscle you could make serious gains in strength and maintain the muscle you have now by starting on strength training.

Congrats on your success so far, I hope this helps :)
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Simple body weight exercises are easy to start. You can do them anywhere and they require no equipment. Over time you will find what works best for you. There are a lot of options.

No, it will not hinder your weight loss goals.

I use protein shakes. After every workout I drink a smoothie- 1 scoop muscle milk, 1c kale, 1c spinach, 1 large banana, 1/2 apple and 1/2c mixed berries. Depending on the workout, a 40 mile bike ride I would use muscle milk as fuel before and after. It is always best to get your nutrients naturally but sometimes it is just convinient. I typically intake 100-150 g of protein a day.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Weight lifting while losing weight will make you look better. You may not needto be 145lbs to look the way you want to.

I am currently 188lbs at 5 ft 2in tall. I wear a size 12 pants. I've been lifting weights for 3 years. 10 years ago I wore a size 16...at 160 lbs.

You cannot build major muscle while losing weight, but lifting weights will help you maintain what you have.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    I have no advice that won't be given by someone else with far more knowledge but wanted to say very well done on the lose. Congrats!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Weight train to maintain muscle as Herrspoon says but also, I'm not a runner but from my understanding, specific weight training methods can compliment/enhance your running so win win!
  • Basically what everyone else said, although if you're a newbie you could make some muscle gains at first. I'm at the point that you are (i.e., around 170 and about 5'8". I'm going to do P90x3 classic to lose more body fat and build a small amount of lean muscle mass (but mostly to lose the fat, as I know I won't gain much muscle). Then, I'm going to do body beast to work on building muscle. If you're looking for free programs, I really like what Arnel Ricafranca puts out. He has a variety of weight loss, muscle building, and overall fitness programs. Good luck!
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Definitely weight train at the same time.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    You don't have to bulk up or use protein shakes to get in good shape and work your muscles. Protein shakes are just easy quick sources of protein that have come to symbolize bodybuilding. Nobody NEEDS protein shakes.

If you're running and losing, keep at it. Most machines have descriptions and/or pictures on on how to use them. Even if you don't get a trainer, someone at your gym can show you how to use the machine. Weight training will help your weight loss and also help you to avoid injury-something you're just asking for with no cross training. And you won't look like the rock. You actually have to try to look like that. He's a professional "athlete" it doesn't happen by accident
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Yes, you can build muscle at the same time. They call it "newbie gains" but who cares what they call it. People who had a previous base of muscle can build in a deficit too. And like Mahogany said, you can wake up the muscles and prep them for more serious work.

Building a good base of muscle can help your weight loss because it burns calories faster, will ramp up your metabolism, and helps prevent injuries. You also burn calories while doing it and it gives your workout needed variety to prevent overuse injuries.

I do not recommend protein bars and shakes in general... too much carbs and calories. I do carb cycling where I allow myself more carbs on the days I lift which allows me the energy to lift big & heavy & to failure. I drink my creatine and eat half my protein bar about an hour before my workout. On cardio days I more limit my carbs.

• ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Excellent loss!
    This doesn't pertain to the lose weight and build muscle part but the motivation part.
    As you get closer to your goal it may be harder to stay as motivated as you were in the beginning. By adding in some weight training you will see improvements that aren't scale related and it will help to keep you motivated.
    Good luck!
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    I started at 159lbs and am now at 146lbs after 3.5 months. I can tell you that you won't be able to get in a such a large enough deficit to do a 2lb rate anymore. It's too fast of a weightloss anyways in this range. Aim for max 1lb per week or less. Lift heavy weights. Eat around 90g protein or more per day, no need for protein shakes if you can do it with meats and other sources (greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, etc.). Look up some beginner weight lifting programs and follow one.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    You can keep losing weight and by lifting can maintain strength and muscle. The equipment available to you is limited, but should work for you for the time being.

BTW, no worries on looking like Dwayne Johnson, it took him years of dedicated, intense training to get a body like that. Plus he has good genetics.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    As far as your question regarding the machines and exercises.

I had a book from the library called "workouts with weight" S. Karony that was a good intro. "Core performance" Verstegen is also really good.

With the diagrams on the wall [make sure you use good form], your biggest concern might be how to decide which of them to do. Those two books have good programs you can do. You could probably find something on the web too.

I am thinking simple to start so I would say a modified form of Stronglifts 5x5 (whole body workouts). Or Dr Paul Kennedy has "quickset" system (like dropsets) that I like and his list of excercises is very straightforward. If you message me Ill send you a link to his PDF or just google it.
  • Go for bodyweight exercises and classic calisthenics routines. Then I'd say find a proper gym and by proper gym all I mean is a squat rack, a bench a pull up bar and a bar with weights. Then all I'd do is hit heavy compound lifting to build a solid foundation. The book Bigger Leaner Stronger is extremely good for this as it is similar to 5x5 but with more emphasis on physique development.
  • shelbyowjohn
    shelbyowjohn Posts: 5 Member
    you can lose weight lots of ways, in my opinion and experience, building lean mass muscle in addition to creating a calorie deficit everyday makes the process so much easier. your body has to burn calories just to support your muscle mass, so the more muscle you build through resistance training, the faster your metabolism will be. I lift weights, do cardio, yoga, etc. and when i started lifting, i started losing 3 pounds per week as opposed to 1-2.
  • soonillbehot
    soonillbehot Posts: 26 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Do resistance training whilst losing. You can't build muscle, but you can maintain it. This is especially important given your aggressive rate of planned loss.

Although the equipment isn't ideal, you can do a three day full body workout. For example:

Mon: Front squats, chest press, lat pull down (3x8 each)
    Wed: Cable deadlift, shoulder press, face pulls (3x8 each)
    Fri: As Mon.

I will definitely be doing this starting today as this seems not that complicated and doable with the equipment available. Thank you for all the trouble helping me get started. Also does 3x8 means 3 sets of 8? or 8 sets of 3?

My plan atm is to run at least 5K a day. With the complement of a three day full body workout on Mon, Wed and Fri just like you stated. Also I walk approximately 2 miles every day go back on forth from my home to my campus.
    Jyve wrote: »
    If you haven't used weights before I'd say a couple of sessions with a personal trainer would be a top idea. Technique and posture are really important - you can easily injure yourself if you're not doing something right. :)

As for personal trainer, I don't think I could afford one at the moment, and none is available really since this mini-gym is operated by my accommodation. I supposed I could call one, but that probably would cost lots of money.

I'm no expert, but honestly, I think you should maintain your slimming and lift weights at the same time to wake those muscles up so then when it's time for you to get brolic, you will be used to it already and you'll be ready!

Will do today sir!
    ChancyW wrote: »
    Excellent loss!
    This doesn't pertain to the lose weight and build muscle part but the motivation part.
    As you get closer to your goal it may be harder to stay as motivated as you were in the beginning. By adding in some weight training you will see improvements that aren't scale related and it will help to keep you motivated.
    Good luck!

Yes it's true, the biggest struggle is to stay motivated, it's just harder as I'm closer to my goal, the weight loss I'm experiencing isn't as rapid as when I first started. And I get this feeling that when I wear clothes I look pretty nice and some of my friends do find me fancy, which of course I appreciate but kinda puts me demotivated to go pursue what I originally after.
    Holly92154 wrote: »
    First and foremost, your body is pretty simple in terms of its "mode". When losing weight you can't gain muscle. Sorry, hope I don't get my head bitten off but seriously, look it up. Most people with long term success start by losing weight and getting to their ideal size. Then they work at maintenance and THEN add 200-500 calories with weight lifting.

On a side note, running is a great way to get into shape but only doing one activity is not ideal. Cross training with strength and another form of cardio is the typical aproach. Even though you wouldn't be building muscle you could make serious gains in strength and maintain the muscle you have now by starting on strength training.

Congrats on your success so far, I hope this helps :)

Thanks for clearing that up. I supposed I should focus on my weight loss and add some other training to it. I don't think I wanted to consume some protein shakes at this point, went to a store the other day and the calories a protein shake contained is just too high, I would rather have a normal meal, or some fruits compared to purely drinking protein.
    Weight lifting while losing weight will make you look better. You may not needto be 145lbs to look the way you want to.

I am currently 188lbs at 5 ft 2in tall. I wear a size 12 pants. I've been lifting weights for 3 years. 10 years ago I wore a size 16...at 160 lbs.

You cannot build major muscle while losing weight, but lifting weights will help you maintain what you have.

Woah did not know that lifting can help weight maintenance, no wonder my weight is pretty volatile whenever I "cheated".
    I started at 159lbs and am now at 146lbs after 3.5 months. I can tell you that you won't be able to get in a such a large enough deficit to do a 2lb rate anymore. It's too fast of a weightloss anyways in this range. Aim for max 1lb per week or less. Lift heavy weights. Eat around 90g protein or more per day, no need for protein shakes if you can do it with meats and other sources (greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, etc.). Look up some beginner weight lifting programs and follow one.

Wow it took you 3.5 months. Man that's long, I supposed I could increase my workout intensity. And see how it goes, my goal is to lose 2lbs a week just like what I've been doing so far. But it's true, it's getting harder.
    You can keep losing weight and by lifting can maintain strength and muscle. The equipment available to you is limited, but should work for you for the time being.

BTW, no worries on looking like Dwayne Johnson, it took him years of dedicated, intense training to get a body like that. Plus he has good genetics.

Yes the equipment is pretty limited indeed. I will try doing what herrspoons suggested and when I'm at my ideal weight, I will be ready and register myself to a proper gym.
    As far as your question regarding the machines and exercises.

I had a book from the library called "workouts with weight" S. Karony that was a good intro. "Core performance" Verstegen is also really good.

With the diagrams on the wall [make sure you use good form], your biggest concern might be how to decide which of them to do. Those two books have good programs you can do. You could probably find something on the web too.

I am thinking simple to start so I would say a modified form of Stronglifts 5x5 (whole body workouts). Or Dr Paul Kennedy has "quickset" system (like dropsets) that I like and his list of excercises is very straightforward. If you message me Ill send you a link to his PDF or just google it.

Woah reading a book seems too much of a work since I read too much books lately for my university course, adding another one would leave me miserable. But I seem to like Dr Paul Kennedy quickset system, watched several video and I would love it if you could sent me the pdf. One question though, does his workout intended for people who want to lose weight or people who want to grow some muscle?
    Go for bodyweight exercises and classic calisthenics routines. Then I'd say find a proper gym and by proper gym all I mean is a squat rack, a bench a pull up bar and a bar with weights. Then all I'd do is hit heavy compound lifting to build a solid foundation. The book Bigger Leaner Stronger is extremely good for this as it is similar to 5x5 but with more emphasis on physique development.

That exactly what my plan is. Once I'm done with the whole weight loss thing, would start hitting a proper gym.
    you can lose weight lots of ways, in my opinion and experience, building lean mass muscle in addition to creating a calorie deficit everyday makes the process so much easier. your body has to burn calories just to support your muscle mass, so the more muscle you build through resistance training, the faster your metabolism will be. I lift weights, do cardio, yoga, etc. and when i started lifting, i started losing 3 pounds per week as opposed to 1-2.

Does faster metabolism means I would get hungry easier? What I did before was to space my meal accordingly so I never feel hungry, I really hate it when I study and suddenly feeling hungry and ended up cheating lol.

Thanks for the help everyone, woah, managed to reply you one by one. Took a bit of time.
    So just a quick recap of what I'm going to start be doing today, probably after today's lectures all finished.

As herrspoons suggested, I will be adding this to my daily 5K run.

Mon: Front squats, chest press, lat pull down (3x8 each)
    Wed: Cable deadlift, shoulder press, face pulls (3x8 each)
    Fri: As Mon.

I also walked approximately 2 miles everyday just to go back and forth from my campus.
    However, I have no rest day from running as I'm fine doing it on a daily basis.

My meal plan is
    Breakfast: Usually cereals with banana and some berries.
    Lunch: Meat and veggies, sometimes with rice or baked potatoes.
    Dinner: Fruits and sometimes I add some snacks depends on how many calories I have left for the day.

Am I doing it right?

Also, might not supposed to ask this here but does anyone here also having trouble running indoor? It just feels longer to finish when I run indoor as opposed to when I run outdoor.

Another thing I experienced is when I'm not eating enough, mostly because sometimes I ate too much the day before, typically after a cheat day, I experienced some kind of dizziness when I stand up. Is this normal?
  • Simply speaking you can increase your metabolism and accelerate weight loss by doing weight training. Make sure you also have a diet with enough protein in it to build your muscles.

I personally make sure I do a combination of cardio and weights and I know people who do cardio or running on its own and struggle to shed the pounds and keep it off.

You also need to be aware that whilst running and once the sugars in your body have run out will start eating into the protein to get energy so it's counter productive.

You are better off doing some.running but supplement it with some brisk walking which burns fat rather than sugar and then muscle.
  • bmanlatour
    bmanlatour Posts: 48 Member
    To lose fat you need to have a caloric deficit. To gain muscle you need to have a positive nitrogen balance. You can absolutely have both. Keep your calories below your maintenance level. Increase your protein intake, supplement with shakes if you need to. You won't grow as fast as people who eat eat eat. You absolutely should build strength when trying to lose weight. The more muscle you have, the higher your resting metabolic rate. You will burn more calories all the time. Don't be scared of an initial increase in weight. You muscles are going to hold more water now that they are being worked.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz3AG-oCXTE