what's up w/ the scale?

Sometimes I get on it and I weigh a certain amount, and then sometimes I obsess and get on it the next day and I've gained 2 or 3 lbs, but I've done nothing wrong w/ my exercise and eating. Especially since I am burning around 500 calories a day and always eating about 300 cals under my limit. Maybe its because I'm gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat? Maybe its because of water weight? Anyway, I'm switching over to measuring my waist/hips because those don't lie! (haha, horrible pun, I'm sorry.)

Replies

• Sometimes I get on it and I weigh a certain amount, and then sometimes I obsess and get on it the next day and I've gained 2 or 3 lbs, but I've done nothing wrong w/ my exercise and eating. Especially since I am burning around 500 calories a day and always eating about 300 cals under my limit. Maybe its because I'm gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat? Maybe its because of water weight? Anyway, I'm switching over to measuring my waist/hips because those don't lie! (haha, horrible pun, I'm sorry.)
  • likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    This is the reason I ONLY weight first thing in the morning before the clothes come on. That way I am good and refreshed and prior to any food, drink or added weight. Try that too. I measure about every 2 weeks too. I can only be obsessive a little at a time ...... baby steps to avoid frustration...that is my moto. :drinker:
  • Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Good idea to stick to measuring if you're getting discouraged because of the scale. Most of it is probably water weight. But also you said you are eating under your limit?? That's not the best idea, your body could be going into starvation mode, and that will slow down or maybe even stop your weight loss completely. You should start eating all of your daily calories, and also eating your exercise calories.

:drinker:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I think my scale is broke because it won't go any lower than 148. :angry:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Oh man, if the body could build 2lbs of muscle overnight, we'd all look like Arnold! Unfortunately, just like fat, muscle needs calories, so if you're in an 800 calorie deficit, it's close to impossible to gain much, if any. You'd have to eat just under maintenance with very specific macro ratios and very hard training to gain in a deficit.

What you're seeing is the weight of food in the stomach, waste in the intestines, blood sugar stored in the muscles, and its associated water. If the scale number bothers you that much, it's good to stop weighing. Or just understand that weight fluctuations are normal and should be expected.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    The scale is overrated and only tells a small part of the story. Weight isn't everything, and there are many other gauges of success. How do your clothes feel? Do you feel healthy? How's your energy level? Are you developing a healthy relationship with food? How much water have you been drinking? When is the last time you ate or went to the bathroom? Did you do a big cardio workout the previous day and sweat a lot? Are you putting on muscle? Have you been eating a lot of salt, sugar, or processed foods? Etc., etc.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Oprah. Dr OZ says we can fluctuate up to 5 lbs of water!!! 5 lbs!!! If you've being eating well and know you haven't gained...let it go. Check back in a few days or a week. It'll go down. :happy: