What diet plan works best for you?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    No Diet™.

Counting calories and macronutrients.

Setting realistic goals.

Taking personal responsibility, everything that goes in my mouth is put there by me, I have the choice as to what I eat.

No deprivation of food groups.

Realising food is food, "junk/healthy/bad/good/fattening/processed" are all relative terms, and that with a bit of thought anything can be fit in to a balanced diet.

This works for me as well.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    The life style that works best for me (I don't do diet) is CICO.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Yeah ive stopped eating crap too!!

what is crap?
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    What worked best for me in the past was the old Weight Watchers exchange diet. It's a good guide to a balanced diet. Now I'm doing MFP measuring and logging with an eye toward including all the good foods like whole grains and lean proteins, saving the "junk" for little treats and special occasions instead of mindlessly sucking them down. I really slow down and savor my treats now.
  • auddii
    ndj1979 wrote: »

what is crap?
    The stuff that comes out of your bum. I'm personally surprised so many people eat it...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    auddii wrote: »

what is crap?
    The stuff that comes out of your bum. I'm personally surprised so many people eat it...
    me too!
  • gentryatkinson
    gentryatkinson Posts: 28 Member
    I aim for 160g protein. 70-80g fat. 60g fiber. Rest falls where it falls.

It's pretty close to what is suggested for me.

And thank you :-)

Edited again lol I do have a lot to lose and I'm 6' tall so I have a lot of calories to work with.

Can you please list what protein you eat. I have a hard time getting my protein @ 60 grams. I need ideas for adding more protein. Thanks!
  • Calorie counting and making sure I get my protein in everyday so I can feel energized for gym time :) Down 14 lbs so far! Also- If I feel like a sweet I have it, just in a small quantity. Drinking lots of tea helps me feel fuller and helps me to not be bloated as well.
  • auddii

Edited again lol I do have a lot to lose and I'm 6' tall so I have a lot of calories to work with.

Can you please list what protein you eat. I have a hard time getting my protein @ 60 grams. I need ideas for adding more protein. Thanks!
    Chicken, beef, pork, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, tuna, tilapia, etc. There are tons of protein sources.
  • ndj1979
    auddii wrote: »

what is crap?

LOL
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited February 2015
    5:2, combined with cico. I fast 2 days (500cals) and make sure not to eat over maintenance the others (I average this weekly...I may be over one night if we go out, but under the next). Maintenance for me is 2200kals. Eating 500 on 2 days gives me an automatic deficit of 3400cals....just under a pound.

I love how easy it is and prefer short term drastic deprivation (500 cals max) to mild long term deprivation (tdee-500cals or 1700cals per day, everyday).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I eat within my calorie limit while still getting adequate protein. Everything else that goes in is whatever I want it to be.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited February 2015

I can never get over 75g protein thru food. I dont like meat very much, which limits the options.

I almost daily have a scoop of protein powder. My favorite is body logix chocolate. 24g protein, 122cals and its the only one I have found to actually not taste bad. I drink it mixed with water, or if I have the calories, a frozen banana and milk. I buy it at Meijer. $24.99 for a big tub. Mu kids like it too and I often add thd vanilla flavor (which is slightly lower cals) to breakfast smoothies for them. Also, its made with milk from cows not given hormones/antibiotics.

Other good protein sources

Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Cheese
    Eggs
    Jerky (I make my own....easy and cheap!)
    Tuna
    Fish/beef/poultry obv.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,005 Member
    edited February 2015
    I cycle my calories.
    I can't "diet" for too long before I feel deprived, so:
    (I'm 4'11", TDEE = 1550)

- week 1 = lower calories = AVERAGE 1200/day
    - week 2 = maintenance cals = AVERAGE 1500/day
    - and back.

Even w/in each week, I have lower and higher cals.
    cut-week: I do 5:2 intermittent fasting: so only 2 days do I really eat at low cals, and the other 5 are close to maintenance.

Cut-week: focus mainly on protein/veggies.
    I schedule my treats/snacks into my no-cut-week.

Also helpful is to pre-plan/log in dinner, then I work with the remaining calories/macros to see what I can eat for lunch/snack (I hardly have breakfast anymore).

And no more night-time snacking. I used to eat ~100-1000calories EVERY night after dinner. It's been 55days of no night-time snacking!

Working out every other day, lifting heavy, Zumba, HIIT, etc.; I love my REST days.

Amanda
  • thecraftinista
    thecraftinista Posts: 66 Member
    Like a lot of people, I'm not on any set diet. I count calories, weigh food and watch my portions. I haven't cut anything out of my diet, I'm still eat carbs including pasta and bread but I limit how much I eat of them. I even had cake this weekend! I am not eating out at fast food restaurants a couple of times a week like I was and I'm making all of my meals from scratch while allows me to know exactly what goes into each meal.

I've lost nearly 28lbs since the beginning of January. I haven't gone to the gym yet but I do play sports three times a week and I walk just about everywhere....although this constant ice and snow we are having on the East coast isn't helping matters.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    I have a food addiction problem. So I do my best to stay clear from processed and packaged foods. It's a battle that I will have to deal with for the rest of my life. I stick with whole foods and lean meats. I'm a believer in finding what works best for you and your body. I can't eat sugar, bread, pasta or packaged meals. I end up feeling horrible and it triggers me to start binging, but others can eat that stuff without any issues and that works for them.
  • shreyashiganguly
    shreyashiganguly Posts: 30 Member
    I have only eliminated added sugar/ sweeteners. Other than that I eat everything and anything as long as it meets my calorie and macro needs. I try to eat whole food and avoid processed ones. However, that is the way I feel best.
    I have set aside Sunday to have a serving of any of the desserts that catches my fancy. And also have a take-out or go out for dinner. I have scheduled the cheat treat so that I maintain the change without any feeling of deprivation.
  • ndj1979
    OP what do you define as "processed"????

here is what I would say ...

set MFP to one pound per week loss, or half pound per week
    log all your foods
    get a food scale and weigh all solids and as many liquids as possible
    set your macro in MFP custom settings to 30% carbs/35% protein/35% fats...
    realize there are no "good" or "bad" foods, just food that your body uses for energy. Make sure to hit your calorie/macro/micro goals for the day and you will be fine. yes, this means you can incorporate some ice cream, cookies, pizza, etc into your day; just make sure that everything balances out.
    repeat until you get desired results.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I guess the closest I can say is a combo of IIFYM and CICO. I count calories and exercise burn in order to determine how much to eat, and I set my macro targets to help me decide what to eat. Unlike many who calculate their macros, I had to start with my carb macro (diabetes) and then fit the protein and fat around that. (Most start with protein, then fat, and use carbs for the remainder). When I eat back my exercise calories, I cannot keep the same percentages because I have a carb maximum so discretionary calories have to be mostly protein or fat.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    I don't diet. I eat food at a calorie deficit. Sometimes I go over. I try to eat healthy foods because I like them and the way my body reacts to them. But I also eat junk here and there.