Daily Check-in : It's the Fitness Fever-ary

Replies

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited February 2015
    Each of you are so inspiring, just amazing! Simply visiting, with *each* of you, gives me motivation! All of you are helping me overcome the intimidation to start StrongLifts. And I thank you for that!

Finally did it, so excited! Just ordered a few pieces of equipment to start: olympic poll, squat sponge, 2.5 plates and spring clip collars. Searched but couldn’t find any local deals so thought this was a good start!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited February 2015
    glwerth wrote: »
    Small personal Victory...and most people don't care, so here it goes.

I did 5x5 OHP at 100 pounds. I've had to deload several times, but this time I did it. I'm gonna stay there for another workout, but I'll be over

Squats: 5x5 173
    Deadlift: 1x5 228 (working up from deload)

What? 5x5 at 100? I just did 90x2 this morning and I was ecstatic! Damn OHP! xD (Your numbers are impressive!)

So, btw, this AM's sesh looked like this:

Deadlift
    185x10
    215x2
    195x8
    225x2
    205x6
    240x2

OHP
    60x10
    70x2 (too light, really)
    65x8
    82.5x2
    75x6
    90x2

5 rounds of 30s work 30s rest intervals w/30lbs DBs (25s for the thrusters) [gonna note the approximate range of reps as I don't remember offhand)
    - Romanian Deadlifts 12-15
    - Power cleans (this is 5lbs more than the last 2 weeks here, they were tought.) 10-11
    - Thrusters 9-11
    - bent over rows 13-16

And 3x 60s burpee broad jumps AMRAP w/ 15s rest in-between
    10 / 9 / 10 (29 total)

Whew! I have the deadlift hungries naw
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member

how could anybody 'not care' about a 100 pound ohp? holy AWE, that's amazing! and actually, so encouraging.

me, i probably won't gym today. i have a meeting in the afternoon that will probably be seriously horrible, and so i've already built in my psychological damage control. cookies and unloading scheduled with my favourite ex-colleague of all and his wife. i'm gonna strategically deploy a few people who actually like me and aren't at all shy about saying so.

Good luck with the meeting. Those things can be brutal! Glad you have a strategy. Hope it goes well.

Most people in my life just aren't interested in lifting, but you guys understand how huge it is to make those personal goals. I've been lifting for almost two years now and I've worked hard to get where I am, through injuries and the daily trials of raising three boys. I'm pretty proud of myself.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Good luck with the meeting. Those things can be brutal! Glad you have a strategy.

thank you. yeah, it's amazing how much it helps when you're feeling like the one goat among all the sheep, to be able to expand your perspective a bit and think 'okay, so i realise you guys don't get me, but there are others who do.' it makes you realise you're just mismatched with your environment, compared with being actually whatever the unmatching environment thinks of you as.

i am just never, ever going to be even tolerated by the kind of woman i seem to be working 'for' here. sigh. and i'm like a kid who has no defence against viruses they've never met, because 'skilled administrators' like her just don't exist in the real software world.

anyway. /end derail. i'll probably think power cleans now and then while the Awful is on.

• glwerth
    krokador wrote: »

I did 5x5 OHP at 100 pounds. I've had to deload several times, but this time I did it. I'm gonna stay there for another workout, but I'll be over

What? 5x5 at 100? I just did 90x2 this morning and I was ecstatic! Damn OHP! xD (Your numbers are impressive!)

So, btw, this AM's sesh looked like this:

Deadlift
    185x10
    215x2
    195x8
    225x2
    205x6
    240x2

OHP
    60x10
    70x2 (too light, really)
    65x8
    82.5x2
    75x6
    90x2

5 rounds of 30s work 30s rest intervals w/30lbs DBs (25s for the thrusters) [gonna note the approximate range of reps as I don't remember offhand)
    - Romanian Deadlifts 12-15
    - Power cleans (this is 5lbs more than the last 2 weeks here, they were tought.) 10-11
    - Thrusters 9-11
    - bent over rows 13-16

And 3x 60s burpee broad jumps AMRAP w/ 15s rest in-between
    10 / 9 / 10 (29 total)

Whew! I have the deadlift hungries naw

Power cleans terrify me. I lift at home alone and am afraid to even try with just the bar, because if something goes terribly wrong, I'm alone and hurt!

Oh, and burpees are the devil! :smile:

• fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 59 Member
    edited February 2015
    @glwerth‌ Amazing OHP numbers- I am in awe- Huge congrats!! I really struggle with them.

@canadianlbs‌ Good luck with the meeting x
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    @glwerth - Totally awesome numbers for OHP!

I managed a walk/jog last night, did about 2mi. Not sure about time, maybe 30 minutes. I wasn't really keeping track. Felt nice to get out and stretch my legs.
  • @glwerth - of course we care! That is so AWESOME!!! (I guess I won't speak to loudly about finally being able to move past 50 lbs on my OHP...)

Today's workout:

Warmup:
    5 minute bike
    1 minute arm swings
    2 minute kettlebell swings
    1 minute jumping jacks

Lifts:
    Squat 5x7 105
    OHP 5x5 50 (a very quiet yay)
    Deadlift 1x5 100 (moderately loud YAY)

Other fun to do things:
    Convict Conditioning Pullups Step 3: Jackknife Pullups 3x15
    Convict Conditioning Pushups Step 3 Knee Pushups 3x10
    Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell 3x10 35

Power Clean 2x10 50 lbs
    Today was my first go at power cleans. I tried 40 lbs first but it seemed to light. I chose to go at 50% of my DL weight. I need to improve on my form I think--the elbows up at the end kind of throws me, but overall I think I did okay. It really got my heart beating. And it was pretty fun too. I was told by an elite male lifter I know that women "of a certain age" shouldn't do any dynamic lifts due to potential for injury. After hearing so much about them from you all and other lifting buddies, I thought I would give them a try. I feel great today. Hopefully no DOMS tomorrow!
  • giusa wrote: »
    Each of you are so inspiring, just amazing! Simply visiting, with *each* of you, gives me motivation! All of you are helping me overcome the intimidation to start StrongLifts. And I thank you for that!

Finally did it, so excited! Just ordered a few pieces of equipment to start: olympic poll, squat sponge, 2.5 plates and spring clip collars. Searched but couldn’t find any local deals so thought this was a good start!

So exciting!! BTW--what in the world is a squat sponge??
  • giusa

lmao, guess i should have called it a barbell pad, lol but the item name is squat sponge -
    http://www.amazon.com/Squat-Sponge-diameter-Olympic-Barbell/dp/B00KGCHSHA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424888947&sr=8-2&keywords=squat+sponge
  • ^^Yes, inquiring minds need to know.

Thanks all for the kudos. @Crabada am I Mr. Colbert and are you the disembodied hand or is it the other way around? :wink:

@‌glwerth 100 lb OHP is crazy good. That's like an 8th grader.

• glwerth
    giusa wrote: »

lmao, guess i should have called it a barbell pad, lol but the item name is squat sponge -
    http://www.amazon.com/Squat-Sponge-diameter-Olympic-Barbell/dp/B00KGCHSHA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424888947&sr=8-2&keywords=squat+sponge

Oh, I use a chunk of pipe insulation for that!
  • glwerth
    @glwerth - of course we care! That is so AWESOME!!! (I guess I won't speak to loudly about finally being able to move past 50 lbs on my OHP...)

It is the people in my real life who just shrug and go on about their business, not realizing how big this is to me!

I celebrated at 50 pounds too. That is the hardest lift. My beloved husband can't even move my bench press and OHP weights.

Thanks!

• Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Cardio today. Started off with 15 minutes of squat stretches, then did a 3.2 mile walk/jog in 54:19. Today was w2d1 of c25k. It wasn't as easy as week 1 but I still managed to get through it.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    most people don't care...

I did 5x5 OHP at 100 pound

I guess I'm not "most people," because my jaw dropped when I read that. Wow.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    @glwerth - of course we care! That is so AWESOME!!! (I guess I won't speak to loudly about finally being able to move past 50 lbs on my OHP...)

It is the people in my real life who just shrug and go on about their business, not realizing how big this is to me!

I celebrated at 50 pounds too. That is the hardest lift. My beloved husband can't even move my bench press and OHP weights.

Thanks!

Yeah, no one in my family really seems to care about how much I lift or how happy it makes me. And when I try to celebrate they tell me I'm working out too hard and should take things easier, that I don't have to exert myself so much and eat the way I do. I get flack for putting my videos of PRs on facebook...

It would be a lonely, lonely world if it wasn't for MFP and the online lifting community in general...
  • I know right! When I share my milestones with my parents or if a coworker asks, I'll get "Uh wow. Don't hurt yourself." It's not negative, per se, they just don't get it. Friends get it more but aren't doing/haven't done this program so yeah. You ladies are the best for support :heart:
  • giusa
    edited February 2015
    scrittrice wrote: »
    most people don't care...

I did 5x5 OHP at 100 pound

I guess I'm not "most people," because my jaw dropped when I read that. Wow.

Felt the same way! OHP are evil!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member

Triple digit OHP is something to celebrate!!!! That's awesome!!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Holy *kitten* - did I just see a 100lb OHP?!?? @glwerth that is incredible!