Gluten free oats?

Best brands for gluten free oats? Ones that are not cross contaminated. :)

Oh btw Hi! New here - Gluten free for over a year now for an intolerance, still navigating the waters!

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    GF Oats are GF oats, there shouldn't be any other ingredients of course. As far as BRAND difference, I don't see any. Steel cut make the best chewy-firm oatmeal, but make sure whichever one you buy states on the label that it is GF certified clean.
  • Perhaps I should have tossed in an affordable brand lol I have only ever gotten one kind and it was like $7
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Adding on to this question - does anyone know of where to get them in Australia (online because I'm rural)? All I can find is shipping them from the states and that's just not affordable.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Am I the only one who can't eat them? I have no idea why, but GF oats set me off.
  • canadjineh
    Am I the only one who can't eat them? I have no idea why, but GF oats set me off.
    You are certain they are certified and not just assumed to be GF? You may have other issues with them (allergy and not celiac disease issues).... Just thinking out loud, lol.

• duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member

The Australian Coeliac Society says that 4 out of 5 people with Coeliac disease can tolerate oats, meaning 20% of all people with it will react to them.

This mess will take you to a pdf on how they classify gf. http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http://www.coeliac.org.au/uploads/65701/ufiles/Position_Statements/CAPSOats.pdf&ei=tnnvVNysKZTo8AWGrYGICA&usg=AFQjCNGtlGsuUQctJB5Kr2SQ3BKUKnqJNQ&sig2=kUJRxEpgr-zx-ye2n1tK8g&bvm=bv.86956481,d.dGc

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    You are certain they are certified and not just assumed to be GF? You may have other issues with them (allergy and not celiac disease issues).... Just thinking out loud, lol.

Actually 15% of coeliacs cant tolerate oats. The protein is very similar to gluten and unfortunately I'm one of the unlucky ones who cant have oats either ( and have tried using certified GF brands).
  • canadjineh
    edited February 2015
    Flab2fitfi wrote: »

Actually 15% of coeliacs cant tolerate oats. The protein is very similar to gluten and unfortunately I'm one of the unlucky ones who cant have oats either ( and have tried using certified GF brands).

Bummer! That'd suck!
    The Canadian Celiac Association's take on oats here: http://www.celiac.ca/b/?page_id=858
    It does say that "Research suggests that intolerance to oats occurs but is quite rare. The mechanism for this is unknown."

• sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    Trader Joes offers gluten free rolled oats that are affordable. Chex started making gluten free quick oats that are also affordable. They go on sale frequently at my local Safeway.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Flab2fitfi wrote: »

Yes, I've tried the GF certified too, it made me sad as I was looking forward to oat muffins, cookies, homemade protein bars etc :(

I kept thinking I was getting gluten'ed somehow, but after enough times, the pattern became very clear, which I then tested, and bam, sick again.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    I second the new Chex oats. They are great. I heat mine up with Coconut Milk and add fresh blueberries and craisins. This is my go to winter breakfast.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I buy Bob's Red Mill GF oats. It does annoy me how they are more expensive than their potentially cross contaminated ones...
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    Bob's red mill <3
  • juniper68
    juniper68 Posts: 93 Member
    I like Trader Joes GF Oats