Daily Check-in : It's the Fitness Fever-ary

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Good day today:

Squats: 2x5@45, 1x3@65, 5x5@100. This was a deload from 115, and I think I figured out why I struggled so badly with 115. I had been using littler plates (10lb ones) and just piling them on, and then when I hit 115 I threw on two 35lb plates instead, and I think I felt unbalanced with just one big plate on each side. Did my 100s with 25lb plates+2.5lb plates and I felt I had a better handle on big plates instead of smaller ones, if that makes sense.

OHP: 4x5@50, 1x4@50. Failed on my last rep. :(

Deadlift: 1x5@135, 1x5@165, 1x5@175! When I saw 175, I didn't think I was going to make that, but figured I'd try one and see how it went. I think my surprise at successfully doing one carried me through the next few!

15 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill: 90 secs walk (3.0), 30 secs sprint (9.0). Managed to not fall off the treadmill while sprinting so that's a plus!
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Thank you @xcalygrl‌ & @krokador‌ !

Reading each post and trying to comprehend, not ask a million questions, learn lingo...yea, it's going to take a while lol
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited February 2015
    giusa wrote: »
    Thank you @xcalygrl‌ & @krokador‌ !

Reading each post and trying to comprehend, not ask a million questions, learn lingo...yea, it's going to take a while lol

You're welcome!

And ask all the questions you have. There are more than enough people here who are happy to help you out :smile:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    fothers365 wrote: »
    I also read somewhere someone recommending thumbless grip so I played around with that but the bar felt less secure.

i don't think thumbless is safe with the overhead press. ohp and bench are the ones where, if the bar does slip, you're the thing that it's going to hit first. don't think it's advice i would follow, myself :p

i'm feeling you on the discouragement though. my ohp seems to go up and down like a yoyo. it's the one lift where my previous time's weight means the least. every time i approach it it seems like a whole brand new day.

I've been doing thumbless grip (aka suicide grip) on OHP for a while and feel as though it's a lot easier on my wrists, gives me better ROM and does not feel unsafe at all. I do use chalk, so the likeliness of the bar slipping from my grip is basically zero, and I've failed enough OHP reps to say that it's really not a danger to drop the weight on yourself. (I'm much more dangerous on the way up than I am on the way down). Unless you have teensy tiny palms of the hands and fingers and the bar rolls around.

If you were to have to drop the bar, you'd drop it with or without the thumb around it. If anything, it'll protect your thumb. Just drop the weight forward and get the hell out of the way of the rebound.

I wouldn't do it on the bench, though. Then angle you press (and mostly lower the weight down) at isn't quite as safe.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    krokador wrote: »
    fothers365 wrote: »
    I also read somewhere someone recommending thumbless grip so I played around with that but the bar felt less secure.

i don't think thumbless is safe with the overhead press. ohp and bench are the ones where, if the bar does slip, you're the thing that it's going to hit first. don't think it's advice i would follow, myself :p

i'm feeling you on the discouragement though. my ohp seems to go up and down like a yoyo. it's the one lift where my previous time's weight means the least. every time i approach it it seems like a whole brand new day.

I've been doing thumbless grip (aka suicide grip) on OHP for a while and feel as though it's a lot easier on my wrists, gives me better ROM and does not feel unsafe at all. I do use chalk, so the likeliness of the bar slipping from my grip is basically zero, and I've failed enough OHP reps to say that it's really not a danger to drop the weight on yourself. (I'm much more dangerous on the way up than I am on the way down). Unless you have teensy tiny palms of the hands and fingers and the bar rolls around.

If you were to have to drop the bar, you'd drop it with or without the thumb around it. If anything, it'll protect your thumb. Just drop the weight forward and get the hell out of the way of the rebound.

I wouldn't do it on the bench, though. Then angle you press (and mostly lower the weight down) at isn't quite as safe.

I did a thumbless grip on my OHP last night, and actually preferred it. I haven't tried it on bench yet, but that will be tomorrow's adventure.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Workout A:
    Squats, 5x5@95 lbs. I'm going to move up to 100 lbs next time.
    Bench, 5x5@55 lbs. Felt really easy, so no qualms about moving up to 60 lbs.
    Rows, 5x5@60 lbs. These felt tough today, even though I usually don't have issues with rows until I get over 70 lbs. Maybe just a bad day for them.

Accessory:
    RDLs 3x10@60 lbs. My hamstrings were tight from my run yesterday. Need to get back on the foam roller!

Cardio:
    45 minutes on the elliptical
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    edited February 2015
    Gym was quiet because we got snow again which was great.

Squat 130 5x5 again. Did a bonus with the real plates at 135 just to see how it felt. I was able to get up. Might try it next time instead of staying at 130 one more time.

OHP 55 5x5. Might go for 60 next time.

Dead 160 1x5 plus a few extras. I am only going up by five now instead of 10.

Chest flies 20 3x8. Felt easy. Think I'll move up to 25 next time.

Side bends 30 3x15 each side.

Row machine 15 minutes.

Didn't feel like doing anything else. Had a good gym session today so I'm happy.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    100 lb OHP, @glwerth‌ ?! Holy shite, Wonder Woman! everyone is doing great!
    I lifted yesterday.
    Squats-2x5@45, 5@65, 5x5@125
    OHP 5x5@55 (don't laugh, @glwerth‌ !)
    Deadlift-5@135, 5@145
    Goodmornings10@45
    Hip thrusts10@45

Today I did 30 minutes of kettlebell cardio. I have a hard time believing the burn from this but even if it's half I will take it! 60 second plank.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Woo hoo...we all rock!

Workout A (Thurs)

Dumbbell Skis - 5 x 10 - 40

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 70

Barbell Row, Bent Over - 5 x 5 - 90

Squats 5 x 5 - 165

Flat Dumbbell Fly - 5 x 5 - 40

Reverse Curls 5 x 5 - 95

Underhand Bicep Curls - seated 5 x 5 - 100
  • barneychavez
    barneychavez Posts: 30 Member
    My weightlifting got derailed last year once marathon training got to be intense. Did the marathon early January, took a break, been lifting heavy since the end of January. Trying to do a weird Strong Curves + Strong Lifts hybrid. Currently, best and most recent stats are:

Squat: 80x5
    Row: 60x3
    Deadlift: 125 lbs!! (96% of my bodyweight!)
    Bench Press: 40x3
    Overhead Press: 40x4

Basically, I feel like a T-rex on top and Beyonce on the bottom.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    lacklustre kind of performance today, with my head not really in it at any point. i also stopped at the alternate gym instead of my regular one, which for some reason always makes it harder for me to find my focus. pre-and-post stretching options are limited which also affects things a lot. i cut it short after a while and came home.

squats: 3x5@45, 5x5@70. up five after a few workouts at 65. still don't really feel like i've got my form together, but i was okay going up. i also tried out 95 again just standing up, and i have no clue how i ever managed to squat that much weight.

bench: 3x5@45. like i said, just not really into it. i went for water after the third set and someone scooted in while i was gone, but i just left them to it.

deadlift: 3x1@100 with the 35lb plates, then a couple more at 120.

i did some one-sided dumbbell work on the left only: 3x5@12.5 of bicep curls, press and rows.

also, a bit of time on the power-clean project and that's how i decided about my left-hand policy from now on. i used the 30lb bar and was just taking it from my thighs up to the rack position, but in really really really slow motion so i could look at my symmetry. fecking awful, that's what. i'm going to keep doing drills at this with every workout, at this speed, for the foreseeable future.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Also wasn't feeling it today. I was exhausted this morning after not getting enough sleep for a couple days, so went back to bed after dropping the kid off at school. Went to the gym after lunch, but everything still felt very heavy.

Squat - 4x5, 1x4 at 130 lbs. This was a repeat weight. I didn't count the last rep as I did it totally half-assed. These felt really heavy today and I will repeat. I do feel like my form is getting better though.

OHP - 5x5 ay 55 lbs. Still barely getting these, so staying here for a while.

DL - 1x5 at 135, 1x4 at 155. I was very cautious with these after my pulled muscle last time. Warm up at 135 felt fine. 155 was difficult. No pain, but I could feel that muscle I pulled, so I didn't want to push it and risk hurting it again. My grip was sucking at the end, so I called at at 4 reps.

Ended with 7,7,6 of assisted pull ups at 55 lbs.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    The not feeling-it-itis seems to be running around. Only had about 5 hours of sleep last night (and the previous night too I think) woke up painfully hungry again (at 4am this time), couldn't go back to sleep, decided to get up instead. And to not eat before the workout anyway because I stepped on the scale and I'm still up 3lbs from last week which does. not. make. sense. But yeah, figured I could save some calories for later...

Front Squats 125x5, 130x5, 135x3, 142.5x3
    Pull-ups -85lbs x 7/4, -65x5/4

Had gotten 2 reps @145 last week but really didn't feel like I had it in me to attempt it again. Even my warm-ups felt heavy and my last reps were all grinders. The pull-ups/chin-ups aren't worth talking about. My shoulder (the back of it) was bothering me and every pull just made the soreness flare up. It's not a muscle pull, just uncomfortable. But not fun.

5min AMRAP
    - supinated barbell bent over row @75 x8
    - push-ups on DB x8
    I think I got in 5 or 6 rounds and some rows. Went a little too heavy. Not used to doing the underhand grip on rows. Also, reps were up from last week which messed with my brain.

5 min AMRAP
    - DB front rack walking lunges x8/leg
    - KB swing x8
    Did 1 round with 2x25, then dropped to 2x20 for the lunges. Legs were not happy and I couldn't find it in me to push for those extra reps from last week, too. Used the 24kg (52lbs) KB and still felt like a rest when I was doing the swings. Meh

5 min AMRAP
    - Recline rows (parallel grip) x10
    - Bear crawl x20ft
    I think I got in 4 rounds and 4 rows. Wanted to get 10 on all sets here despite going to failure. My notebook was too far.

3 rounds for time
    - lateral hop burpee x10
    - sit-outs x10 / side
    - squat jumps x10

Same reps as last week, different round scheme. Similar results. Got to 8 burpees of the last round at the 6min time cap. I figured what the hell and finished in 7:36. Next week is a 30/30/30. Not looking forward to that.

To me, this is a very meh workout. I just wanna go back to sleep and be tomorrow already
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Yesterday was a run day. I did 4 miles in 36:36, so 8 seconds faster than Tuesday's run.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    edited February 2015
    Despite the genereal not-feeling-it feeling, some kickass workoutds have been logged during the last few days. Congrats girls!

I was in the same not-feeling-it mood the last few days and I almost skipped gym and workout AGAIN this morning because of an another crappy night of sleep. I tried to go back to sleep after a three and half hours of sleep night, but I was not able to fall back asleep. so I got up 20 minutes later and went to the gym anyway. I have mixed feelings about this workout. I tought about deloading a little to compensate the lack of sleep, but I finally didn't. Squats were ok, but I had to deload a little on the OHP and I failed my last rep on DL (it just didn't move. not an inch! wtf? I did it four times and then, the last rep? nothing. that was weird). Still, I'm proud because I did it.

Husband called me at the exact moment I was back in the locker room and putting things in my bag, so I could notice the phone ringing. That's probably the reason you marry people, because they feel when it's the exact moment to give you a call. So, I complained a little about my DL fail and all, but he told me: "At this point, going to the gym this morning was the victory. The rest doesn't matter."

So I'll take it this way.

Here's the workout breakdown

Adaptive Motion Trainer: 15 minutes

Squats: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 85, 1x5 @ 100, 5x5 @ 120. 120 still feel really heavy, and my heart pulse at 160 when I'm done with a set (my HRM usually encourages me to stay below 156, so it's intense). Will repeat for sure.

OHP: 1x5 @ 45, 2x5 @ 50, 3x5 @ 45. I did'nt fail at 50, but I would if I had done another set, so I deload to 45. As everyone else, I seem to struggle with this more then everything else.

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 100, 1x4 @ 125.

Accessories:

Farmer's walk: 4 @ 35, 2 @‌ 55

Plank 80 seconds on the BOSU

Then stretch and foam rolling. I was foam rolling like crazy because I just didn't want to leave the gym and get in the trouble of taking a shower and everything. That's how much tired I was.
  • @canadianlbs bummer your workout was meh. I know the feeling. You'll get that weight back up when you're ready.
  • @DaivaSimone --- the farmer's walks sound awesome for improving grip strength. I think I am going to try them!! How far/long do you walk with them?

Squat 5x8 105 (will increase on Monday)
    Bench 5x5 65 (somewhat sloppy; repeat this weight)
    Row 5x5 75

Convict Conditioning Pullups Step 3: Jackknife Pullups 3x15
    Convict Conditioning Pushups Step 3 Knee Pushups 3x10
    Deadlift 1x5 75 (just for fun)

Have a great weekend everyone! I turn 51 tomorrow. Gonna celebrate tonight with Thai dinner out with Hubby and friends over tomorrow night. Spring is coming!!!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Good afternoon! Happy Friday!

I did my 3rd A workout today. Here how it went:

Squat: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 55, 1x5 @ 65, 5x5 @‌ 85
    BP: 1x5 @ 45, 5x5 @ 55 - I have to admit that I had to do a silent pep talk to myself while doing this. I don't know what it is about the BP that scares me!
    Rows: 5x5 @‌ 55

I also did the following:
    Upright rows: 1x5 @ 85, 2x5 @‌ 80
    Horizontal woodchop: 2x10 @‌ 25
    Back extension: 2x10 holding a 25-pound plate

I thought I was going to add more but then I was like never mind. I'm working on about 5 hours of sleep and my body was like chill! Have a great weekend!
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    My workout yesterday was my first fail - technically... although after talking to some of my women friends I was surprised to find that most have failed earlier than this. (I finished week 6 yesterday) I do 5x5 with my husband and he does so much heavier weights than me, its hard for me to keep it in perspective sometimes.

My squat was 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 95, 5x5 @‌ 130
    My OHP was 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 5,5,4,5,3 @ 80
    My DL was 1x5 @ 135, 1x5 @‌ 175

Anyways, cheers to that! I'm already dreading BP and Rows on Sunday, cause I'm on the verge of failing both of those too. However, there is something mentally liberating about failing... i just like, ok... I'll try again next time, and I don't have to increase, so I already know I can at least semi-lift this!

Anyways, two more weeks til my trip, which I will use as a recovery week, with just cardio, and maybe some very light lifting, if the hotels have a Smith machine or something like that in their gyms. Can't wait!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Had a total rest day yesterday - barely even made 5000 step lol

Lifted this morning,

Squat 5x5 @ 155lbs.
    OHP 5x5 @ 60lbs. Still babying my shoulder a little
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 200lbs. Then for fun 1x2 @ 210lbs.

Accessories - latpulldowns, Bulgarian split squats

Decided to try and smoke my arms after that so made a little circuit of super light deadlifts and bicep curls until failure. Not sure I can wash my hair now, feel like I have t-Rex arms lol