can it be done after 40

MzzNorma
MzzNorma Posts: 22 Member
Norma here I have always been active and fit. Because of a car accident I had to stop all my routines. Slowly back at it not doing much of abs, or anything that will harm my back and shoulders. Lots of cardio. I am 41 and been told it will be hard to loose the 17 lbs I wish to.

Replies

• rkulich
    rkulich Posts: 22 Member
    You were told it would be hard? Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. You can absolutely lose the weight you want to. It's true that it is easier for a youngster to lose wieght, but you can do it. It's just a matter of calories out > calories in... Good luck!!!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Age doesn't make as much a difference as some folks think....certainly not at 40 anyway. If you eat healthy and move some, you're going to get fit. In 2011, I turned 40 and I lost 80 pounds that year. Kept it off for most of 2012 until some ugly life events happened and I lost focus. Gained back 70 pounds between Sept 2012 and the end of 2013. So now I'm 43 and I've lost 42 of those 70 pounds....and I will lose the rest of it this year. Its a matter of commitment and healthy decision making.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    I lost 95 lbs at 45. No reason you can't too.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    I'm 48 and I lost 25 lbs - where there's a will.................!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    53 and over 200lbs lost so yes it can be done
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    edited March 2015
    That's absolutely not true. I am 47 and have lost close to 50 pounds. You don't stop burning calories after 40. Just exercise...a LOT!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    53 years young. Down 72 lbs. Who ever told you that - they need an ******* adjustment.
    - Self edited so the MFP Police don't wag the naughty finger at me.
  • kksmom8
    kksmom8 Posts: 19 Member
    57 here, and I've lost 47 lbs so far. Yes, it's a bit slower, but I lost a lot fast in the beginning. So, just do it!
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    I didn't put much effort into fitness AT ALL until I was over 40. I had cancer in my late 30s and was told I would "never" do a lot of things.

Clearly people underestimated me, and I'm sure they've underestimated you. People who tell you that you can't do something tell you that because they don't want to do something or they're just stupid. Either, or.
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    People say its harder because your metabolism starts to slow down later in life...as well as medical issues that arise from age and years of abuse (not saying that you did that, but in general).

It is not wholly just calories in vs. calories out...there are so many other factors involved that there is no way to generalize it (for instance, I have hypothyroidism and pcos, which are metabolic issues that make it harder for me to lose weight on top of being over 40). Its just different for every single person and age is a part of that factor.

The key is to figure out what works best for you (forget about age and all that stuff) and find something you can do for the rest of your life....that is the hardest part...and why so many people "yoyo" diet.

Good luck! I'm glad to hear that you are getting back into. I bet it feels great after not being able to workout for awhile.
  • jmzelaya
    jmzelaya Posts: 1 Member
    Yes it can be done in June 1 of 2014 I weighted 262 today I'm at 200 lbs yes it can be done
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    17 lbs ? please LOL Losing weight is 90% in the mind, if you believe that you can't you won't. I'm 49 and lost 102 lbs so far and I'm getting better every day. 48 more lbs to go. If I can do it, YOU CAN DO IT !!
  • MzzNorma
    Thank you fo much for the encouragement
  • MzzNorma

Thank you fo much for feedback and the encouragement
  • MzzNorma
    DragonMeat wrote: »
    People say its harder because your metabolism starts to slow down later in life...as well as medical issues that arise from age and years of abuse (not saying that you did that, but in general).

It is not wholly just calories in vs. calories out...there are so many other factors involved that there is no way to generalize it (for instance, I have hypothyroidism and pcos, which are metabolic issues that make it harder for me to lose weight on top of being over 40). Its just different for every single person and age is a part of that factor.

The key is to figure out what works best for you (forget about age and all that stuff) and find something you can do for the rest of your life....that is the hardest part...and why so many people "yoyo" diet.

Good luck! I'm glad to hear that you are getting back into. I bet it feels great after not being able to workout for awhile.

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Turned 40 last July and have lost 66lbs since then. Total of 247lbs since August 2013.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    It's a myth that many women buy into - it circulates and is accepted because it is, in a way, an excuse. You can lose it if you want to. I am 45. I have lost 14 lbs since January 25 of this year. I have had 3 kids. (Of course the last one was born 15 years ago....). It can be done and don't let anyone tell you any different. You can do it if you want to and if you do the things you need to do to lose. You don't have to exercise to lose - that is also a myth. Exercise helps you burn more calories and helps keep your body healthy, but it is not needed to lose weight. Eating at a deficit causes you to lose weight.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    (*) Hi everything is hard! lol You can do it if you want to. It may take a bit longer than when you were 20, but you can do it! Good luck to ya!
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Well, I am 55 and started January 27. Not a lot of exercise but have religiously logged on MFP and stayed within my 1200 calories a day 99% of the time. I have lost 5.5 pounds, and 4 pounds of that was the first week. (Less exercise due to problems with my feet and shoulder). I cannot tell you how discouraged I am.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I've lost over 100lbs in my 40's and pre-menopausal. Now I'm lifting weights and my metabolism has shot through the roof at 48. This spring I'm looking to try strongman training.