Can you really eat a burger?

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Alidecker wrote: »
    When I started losing weight, I was strict with what I ate. Every session with my trainer, he would look at the last weeks diet. Finally, one night I was out with friends and broke down and had pizza...it had been several months. I was upset with myself. His response to me was "Is it realistic that you will never eat pizza again? This isn't a short term fix, you need to learn how to fit foods you want into your diet now, while you are losing weight. You need to find balance" So, I still eat pizza, burgers, fries, and other foods deemed "bad", but I eat them less often and don't eat the huge portions I used to eat.

Your trainer gets a gold star for giving good advice.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Do it up man. I usually make burgers once a week. I keep it 80/20 and between 6-8 oz. I adjust my day accordingly. I'll either do baked zucchini fries or baked fresh cut fries and a salad with it.

You'll make this whole process a lot easier on yourself, and worth sticking to it if you allow for things that you want if and when they fit.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

That may be one of the dumbest things I have read all year, and certainly today. Overeating is what makes people fat, not what they eat, but how much. I eat burgers, pizza, hot fogs, chips, ice cream, drink soda, and consume a host of other "junk" food all the time, it doesn't make me fat. BMR doesn't change that much from sleeping to awake, what about those six to 8 hours? The body is constantly working off of intake as well as fat and muscle stores, it's not like there's some magic switch to go from metabolizing freshly consumed food to stored fat.

Cheese burgers are almost a perfect food, just look at the macro breakdown, you have your carbs, fat, and protein all in a good balance. Eat up.

Rigger

Bmr has to be less while sleeping, because you are using less energy. How am I wrong in that?
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.

I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.

F No. You were completely wrong. You still are. Just STOP.

Ok, point out my flaws. Educate me?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes

That's not to say eat nothing but Frosted Flakes, pizza, cookies, and cheeseburgers all day every day. A lot of people who tout "clean eating" think those of us who don't only do this. We still focus on nutrients, but a treat in moderation that fits your calories/macros is also good.

Clean eating isn't so much about the nutrients as it is about the lack of chemicals in the food. We know that we are still going to get some chemicals in foods but the less you consume we feel the better your body will feel. I know I've slacked off the clean eating and I'm struggling to control my weight and the cravings. Clean eaters get the same amt. of nutrients that everyone else does we just get less chemicals with them.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    of course you can have a burger.

to me, the calories in the fries are scarier than the calories in the burger! LOLOL
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    OP - Short answer: Yes. You can eat a burger here and there. CICO is important and macronutrient splits are as well. I would suggest you look into Flexible Dieting. It's an excellent tool to really help people sustain weight loss or achieve their dream body composition. There are multiple books on it - Lyle McDonald's "A Guide to Flexible Dieting" is one I would recommend. --> http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Flexible-Dieting-Lyle-McDonald/dp/0967145651/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425397428&sr=8-1&keywords=Flexible+Dieting+-+lyle+mcdonald
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    tmauck4472 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes

That's not to say eat nothing but Frosted Flakes, pizza, cookies, and cheeseburgers all day every day. A lot of people who tout "clean eating" think those of us who don't only do this. We still focus on nutrients, but a treat in moderation that fits your calories/macros is also good.

Clean eating isn't so much about the nutrients as it is about the lack of chemicals in the food. We know that we are still going to get some chemicals in foods but the less you consume we feel the better your body will feel. I know I've slacked off the clean eating and I'm struggling to control my weight and the cravings. Clean eaters get the same amt. of nutrients that everyone else does we just get less chemicals with them.

What do you mean by "chemical"? All food is made of chemical substances.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member

That may be one of the dumbest things I have read all year, and certainly today. Overeating is what makes people fat, not what they eat, but how much. I eat burgers, pizza, hot fogs, chips, ice cream, drink soda, and consume a host of other "junk" food all the time, it doesn't make me fat. BMR doesn't change that much from sleeping to awake, what about those six to 8 hours? The body is constantly working off of intake as well as fat and muscle stores, it's not like there's some magic switch to go from metabolizing freshly consumed food to stored fat.

Cheese burgers are almost a perfect food, just look at the macro breakdown, you have your carbs, fat, and protein all in a good balance. Eat up.

Rigger

Bmr has to be less while sleeping, because you are using less energy. How am I wrong in that?

BMR is your basal metabolic rate - it's what you burn just existing (organ function, etc).

you multiply this by an activity factor to account for daily movement, etc.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.

You aren't gonna get fat if you're on a deficit and eat a bunch of calories in one go. You could eat your whole allotment in a single meal and you'd still lose.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member

You aren't gonna get fat if you're on a deficit and eat a bunch of calories in one go. You could eat your whole allotment in a single meal and you'd still lose.

Truth.

I normally eat 2 big meals a day and I still lose (when I'm cutting) just fine.

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    This made me want a burger so much that I'm making one now....of course I have no ground beef :neutral_face: (when I buy it, I usually eat it all in 1 or 2 days - and still hit my goals lol) so I'm making it with turkey. It will do until I can get a real one in a day or two. I do have yummy cheddar and all the fixings. Yum!
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Watch out for that dihydrogen monoxide. Of all the chemicals that people have consumed, it's one we know has a 100% mortality rate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member

Okay so explain how eating in calorie deficit, but over eating a certain food won't result in weight loss?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    "clean eating" = lololololol
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    My husband bought home Carl's Jr all natural burgers for dinner on Saturday night. He had a coupon for buy one, get one free. I looked up the calories and decided to eat half because the calorie count was 760 calories and I am 5'2" and try to stay on the lower calorie side, especially if I am not going to the gym that day. I had not gone to the gym and had not planned for that many calories! I had the other half for lunch the next day.

To get to the point, I noticed on the bottom of the tracker that I was way, way over on fat. Since it was a burger, I know it was not GOOD fat. Since I have been very careful I will not worry about it, but I will not do that very often, even eating half.

Just as many have said, yes, you can eat hamburgers. Just use wisdom and don't eat them too often. It is not just calories and weight, but your health that matters.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Yeah, you can eat what you want if it fits your calorie goals and still lose weight. You might be eating a smaller portion of higher calorie items than you used to to fit. It in.
    I have not changed the food I eat much and still lose weight. Just watch portion sizes and look at your choices in advance.
    I might have a smaller burger with a salad and unsweetened tea instead of a double bacon cheeseburger, large fries and pop because really I want to eat real meals the rest of the day too.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

jimmer and steven have already started.

You will "metabolize" - your word - the burger or hot dog or whatever over time. It doesn't matter if you haven't fully digested/used/whatever-you-meant-by-metabolize the burger. The same thing applies for any food you still have in your system. As long as you don't overconsume Calories over an extended period of time (not 4 hours), you don't get overweight.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Heck yea you can eat a burger! Well I prefer mine made on the grill at home, I think it tastes way better than any fast food one. I plan on having that quite a bit more often when it starts warming up :D If you have it with some veggies then you arent doing bad at all!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Rigger

BMR only includes basic bodily functions - heart beating, breathing, other organs working, etc. All of this continues whether you are asleep or awake. It doesn't include things like walking, exercise, sitting, etc.
This discussion has been closed.