Wow, so not worth it!

I caused myself to have a (very) minor setback last night, and instead of dwelling on it, I am choosing to view it as a great reminder of what works and what doesn't work for me, and for my success- so I thought I would share.

So I attended a grand opening party for a hotel yesterday evening (I'm a blogger) and I ended up drinking more than a few drinks over the course of the evening. With each drink, I guess my self-control continued to wane, because by the end of the night I had devoured a full-sized cupcake, and then went home and ate TWO bowls of sugar cereal for "dinner" (after grazing on finger foods all night long and pouring hundreds of calories of craft beer down my gullet). Um, oops. To make matters worse, today I of course feel completely rotten, which is bound to interfere with my ability to give it my all when I hit the gym after work this evening. All of this was to say, this was a valuable reminder for me how much it JUST ISN'T WORTH IT!!! I am sure I would have had an equally good time if I had only consumed two drinks, limited myself to the amount of food I had originally planned on allowing myself to eat, said "No thank you," to the stupid cupcake, went on home, drank some water, and gone to bed. And I would feel just fine today, and still be able to bring some intensity to my much needed workout. From this point forward, I am making the decision that with the VERY RARE exception (I'm looking at you, Jimmy Buffett concert B) ), I will not be consuming more than two alcoholic beverages in any setting or situation. I'm not a college freshman any longer...anything more than that is just not needed!

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Lesson learned! :D Accept that there may be some bloat, and the scale might be up a bit, but that next time, you'll plan for it and make it work :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    It happens. If it's a weekly thing, make adjustments. If not - roll with it. Just start fresh again today. It's better to enjoy times like that then beat yourself up over it. Life is short and precious. Yes you are working towards an awesome, healthier you....but you gotta live a little here and there ;)

I find the more pressure and the more can't do this and can't do that's I put on myself, the more likely I am to spiral out of control.

Brush it off and hit the gym tonight. You got this!
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    One day of what you did, fortunately, didn't ruin you. That's why I love this quote... "Saying I ate like crap today so I might as well quit is like saying I dropped my phone so I might as well smash it into a thousand pieces." Lol. Not suggesting you thought about quitting, it just reminded me of the quote because I've done that twice. (Ate like crap one day so just gave up) good for you for putting it behind you. Get in the gym & attack it! :smiley:
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    One day of what you did, fortunately, didn't ruin you. That's why I love this quote... "Saying I ate like crap today so I might as well quit is like saying I dropped my phone so I might as well smash it into a thousand pieces." :
    Thanks for sharing that quote- I'll keep it in mind the next time I fall off the MFP wagon.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    For me in a drinking situation I try for a glass of water between each drink. If you are with people who won't let it rest that you are not drinking, sparkling water usually pacifies them :D At least it looks like a cocktail.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    This post makes me so happy that I gave up alcohol! For me even one drink isn't worth it anymore.
  • Mapes84
    Mapes84 Posts: 60 Member
    One day of what you did, fortunately, didn't ruin you. That's why I love this quote... "Saying I ate like crap today so I might as well quit is like saying I dropped my phone so I might as well smash it into a thousand pieces." :
    Thanks for sharing that quote- I'll keep it in mind the next time I fall off the MFP wagon.

Yes, awesome! Thanks for sharing!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I'm so out of practice it only takes me two drinks to be that drunk!!
  • Mapes84
    Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not beating myself up that I had "one bad day"- more like, just reflecting on the ripple effect over-indulging on drinks can have! I'm already taking in all of these extra empty alcohol calories, which YES, is fine on occassion- but then that lowers my inhibition, so I end up eating a bunch of garbage I never would've touched if my wits were about me- and here it is nearly 24 hours later and I still feel lousy and "off"! I know it's OK if this happens once in a blue moon, it's just amazing to think that I used to do this kind of regularly.
  • Mapes84
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    For me in a drinking situation I try for a glass of water between each drink. If you are with people who won't let it rest that you are not drinking, sparkling water usually pacifies them :D At least it looks like a cocktail.

Great idea! I do have some friends who are kind of drinking "bullies," but I think if they see something in your hand they aren't going to stop and think to hard about what that something is.
  • Mapes84
    Francl27 wrote: »
    This post makes me so happy that I gave up alcohol! For me even one drink isn't worth it anymore.

Right on!
  • Mapes84
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I'm so out of practice it only takes me two drinks to be that drunk!!

That's the thing- I definitely had a nice buzz going somewhere in the middle of that second drink, because I do drink so infrequently now- so stopping there would have been JUST FINE!
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    This has been me almost every weekend! Enough is enough. I need to be as accurate as I possibly can. I can't just ignore the alcohol calories. Lol
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    I agree. For me, I rarely have more than 1 or 2 drinks now because of the damage it is able to do. Not only do I end up drinking more, but eating more and then I tend to slack at life the following day...

It is never "just a night of drinking" when it comes to weight loss.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Not something I could get excited about. Stuff happens. Seems like a lose lose to ear calories you dont want and then get stressed about it.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    I learn the same lesson every Friday night :)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    I learned that lesson on Christmas day. The day after I was a total sloth and didn't do anything. For me it was crackers and water the next day not because I wanted to restrict my calories but because i felt the earth spin on its axis. I have not made that mistake since. I am not 18 years old any more and my bounce back time is the worst. HAA
  • scar47
    scar47 Posts: 56 Member
    Don't sweat it. Sometimes, you just have to let off some steam. Me, I'm never going to pass up a good Scotch, or a good steak.