Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

arguablysamson
arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
This is a thread to let others know you are beginning again on OMAD. Get involved by posting...

...your name or preferred username
...your weight
...your height
...any past struggles you've faced or are facing
...your goal weight range
...the time of your OMAD
...and your OMAD start date.

You might elaborate on what brought you around to OMAD as opposed to other weight-loss methods. This thread lets others know they are not alone in the struggle.

Replies

• vlland
    vlland Posts: 55 Member
    My name is Vicky. My current weight is 145lbs (5'6") I have struggled with my weight since my teens (49yrs old now) I have always weighed about 30lbs more than i want to and even though it doesnt seem like much it was enough to make me feel fat. I have never been successful in losing and keeping off the weight. I have done all sorts of dieting over the yrs - weight watchers several times - fad diets etc... About 7 yrs ago i lost about 30 lbs and keep it off for about 4 yrs. I had gone through a divorce and started dating again. I actually got down to 118lbs but then went up to 125 and stayed around that amount for years. I finally felt good about myself and getting dressed in clothes that fit (without muffin top) was wonderful. Over the past 2 yrs i put on about 20 lbs and started mfp about a year ago. I havent lost but havent gained ( i lose 5lbs - then gain 5lbs) I want to get back to 125-130 lb range. It is harder as i get older and my stomach area is a problem - genetically i am apple shaped. To add to my problem area - my appendix ruptured last summer and i have a 5inch vertical scar on my stomach. What little stomach muscles i had were cut and now im left with mush and look continually pregnant :( I want to lose 20lbs and be able to fit into clothes comfortably without muffin top.
    I think OMAD is perfect for me. I read about someone successfully losing weight this way yrs ago. I never eat breakfast (not hungry) and rarely eat lunch when at work (too stressed and busy then). I usually eat from the time i get home (4:00 til bedtime 11:00) I eat to feel better and cause it tastes good - not because im hungry. I need structure and discipline to limit myself. I need outside limits to stop mindless eating. I plan to eat from 5:00 - 6:00 daily. I am not an exercise fanatic but i do like walking/hiking or yoga and my job is physical so i will do what i can in that area. I have found diet plays a bigger roll in weightloss for me than exercise however.
    I log on daily and i hope starting this journey with others will help me be more accountable and successful. BTW - im a single parent of a teenage boy. Im a special ed. teacher from Pittsburgh Pa (altho - ive lived all over as my ex was in the air force)
  • arguablysamson
    Welcome, Vicky! Interesting story. We all have different reasons and situations, but the key is to stay with it while not developing an eating disorder or body image issues. Be quick, but not in a hurry, as they say.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Sorry, lost my post.
  • LinDiSm26262
    Name: Linda
    Weight: 204
    Height: 5' 4"
    I have had a thyroid problem for a long time and take a high dosage of medication. I had Hashimoto's disease and cancer which caused me to gain a lot of weight because I was bed-ridden for six months. I've been trying to lose since that time and it has been a challenge for sure. I began drinking Zeal shakes last October 2013 when I weighed around 240. I lost 28 pounds as of July 20th and weighed 212. Slow loss but I didn't give up.

I began eating one meal a day on July 20, 2014 but have been drinking a Zeal shake before leaving for work in the mornings. I have two more weeks of the shakes left and want to finish them off before I'm an official OMAD-er. I have my meal from 4:30 - 5:30 pm every day. I have lost 8 pounds since I began eating one meal a day. I know I would have lost more without the shakes, but that's okay. They were expensive and I don't want to waste them.

Goal Weight: 135 pounds.
    OMAD time: 4:30 - 5:30 pm (after work)
    Non-Official Start Date: July 20, 2014 (with shakes)
    Official Start Date: September 10, 2014 (no shakes)

I have tried all the popular diets. I always lose a few pounds over a week or two and then the weight loss stops, I get frustrated and give up. I've been on Weight Watchers, Lindora, Belly Fat Cure, Medical Weight Loss, the Low Carb Diet, Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, calorie counting, and on and on. I don't eat red meat and I'm not a lover of yogurt, cottage cheese, and many other 'diet' foods.

My doctor always tells me I don't have a metabolism that works property because of my bad thyroid and I need to exercise twice as hard as the average person does. I've never loved exercise and don't mind walking 30 minutes a day or working out with a video, but twice as hard as the average person.......that's just not going to happen!

When I read your post and how you lost weight, I knew immediately I could do this and had to give it a try. I love it! Other than getting dizzy a couple times and my stomach growling that first week, OMAD has been a perfect fit for me. Also, because I'm not totally on OMAD yet and have already lost 8 pounds in one month, I'm excited to see how much I'll lose when I'm only eating OMAD. It just blows me away that I continue losing weight on this program.

I still haven't told my MFP friends yet because I just don't want to read negative comments. I will tell them but I want to lose more weight first.

I want to encourage anyone who has had a difficult time losing weight to give OMAD a try. I think you will be surprised like I was. After the first few days you don't think about food as much and it seems to give me a little more energy. I look forward to my evening meal and enjoy my dinner more than I used to. I can eat at restaurants without guilt. I'm excited to see where I am in six months.

I am a single mother of a 34 year old mentally disabled son who lives with me. I work full time and dedicate the rest of my time to him. He is overweight (morbidly obese due to his medications) and I'm hoping when he sees me losing on OMAD that will encourage him to try this way of eating as well.

I log on everyday and will be here to cheer everyone on to victory!!
  • arguablysamson
    Name: Linda

Hi, Linda.

You are not alone with thyroid issues. I have a friend in Indiana who has it bad--and she is 295 on a 5'3 frame! I am working on getting her on OMAD, but so far, she's been too kickative. Such is life.

Good to hear you are taking control. Life is always better that way.
  • LinDiSm26262
    I wish your friend would just try this way of eating. I'm serious when I say that I'm losing faster than I have on any other program. I've lost 8 pounds in one month and prior to this program I lost 28 pounds in 10 months. If I lost 8 pounds a month when I started last October I would have lost 80 pounds on this program by now. I understand there could have been plateaus and water retention but overall, I would have lost a lot more weight on this program than what I was doing AND I'm more satisfied now.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You are a God send to me. You don't know how much your post has meant to me. I've read it over and over until I've almost memorized it.
  • BrittyBee82
    BrittyBee82 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello Everyone! I'm Britt. I recently read about the OMAD plan and am excited to have been doing it for a few days now.

Height: 5'6
    Weight: 319
    Goal Weight Range: 200-215lbs
    Time of OMAD: 6-7 pm
    Start Date: August 23, 2014

The first day was definitely the hardest. I'm definitely one of the binge eaters and can eat food and not really even realize how much. I can definitely say, that after the first 2 days... I don't have the urge to eat until after I get off work in the evening. I just knew I'd feel like I was starving but so far that's not the case. It's not as hard as you'd think. I also would like to say before I read about the rules for OMAD, I was weighing in everyday. (I actually weighed in this morning before I read the post lol.) I don't know if my lbs lost are from my dieting before starting this or because of starting this? But either way I have lost some. Anywho... Good Luck to everyone out there and Thank you for the advice and motivation!
  • arguablysamson
    Hi, Britt. Welcome!
  • geniab4
    geniab4 Posts: 3 Member
    I just read your OMAD on the discussion forum...and I really think it might work for me. I'm a really picky eater so my food choices are limited. I don't like salads at all....very few veggies....fruits I can take em or leave em...and they do nothing to stop my hunger pains.

I just started today for the 9 millionth (slight exaggeration) time. I've struggled with my weight all of my adult life. I lost 97 pounds when I was in my late twenties counting calories....kept it off until I got pregnant with my first child....then slowly they start finding their way back on. Since then it's been a downhill spiral....

My weight is 255
    My short term goal weight is anywhere under 200
    My long term goal weight is wherever I FEEL GOOD! I feel horrible at this weight.

I had breast cancer in 2008 and have probably gained 50 pounds since then. I'm on several different meds....one of which is known to cause weight gain. I have thyroid problems and am on synthyroid.

ZERO energy and LOTS of pain....

Not sure I will be able to stick to OMAD...but I can sure try it. So far nothing else has worked since the 80's. lol
  • arguablysamson
    I just read your OMAD on the discussion forum...and I really think it might work for me. I'm a really picky eater so my food choices are limited. I don't like salads at all....very few veggies....fruits I can take em or leave em...and they do nothing to stop my hunger pains.

Hi,

It will work. I, too, am a picky eater and really never liked healthy stuff. I was meat and potatoes all the way. But things can and do change...if you will change them. Just start by taking back control.

Thing about hunger pains is, when you expect them, you can better handle them. So just be mature about your efforts, and you will stay on it and lose the weight.
    I just started today for the 9 millionth (slight exaggeration) time. I've struggled with my weight all of my adult life. I lost 97 pounds when I was in my late twenties counting calories....kept it off until I got pregnant with my first child....then slowly they start finding their way back on. Since then it's been a downhill spiral....

My weight is 255
    My short term goal weight is anywhere under 200
    My long term goal weight is wherever I FEEL GOOD! I feel horrible at this weight.

I had breast cancer in 2008 and have probably gained 50 pounds since then. I'm on several different meds....one of which is known to cause weight gain. I have thyroid problems and am on synthyroid.

Sounds like it's high time to take back control. Let's do this! :-)
    ZERO energy and LOTS of pain....

I know those feelings.
    Not sure I will be able to stick to OMAD...but I can sure try it. So far nothing else has worked since the 80's. lol

Yes, you will when you are ready. Just be mature about it and do what must be done. You won't die. In fact you will live -- and live better!
  • geniab4
    geniab4 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks so much for the encouragement!
  • JoeyCage
    JoeyCage Posts: 8 Member
    Joe or Joey
    5'9
    8am-11am
    10-7-2014 :D
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Name: Gayle
    Weight: 250
    Height: 5' 10"
    Goal Weight: 175-160 pounds
    OMAD time: 12-4 pm
    Start Date: October 13, 2014

I feel like I have tried every diet program out there....but I haven't. And some may work, but I can't stick to any program long enough to see results. This idea appeals to me because once I start eating, it is VERY hard for me to stop. I often think if I could NEVER eat again, all my issues would be solved. I picked lunch time for my OMAD because my job is super sucky right now and I have been going out for lunch most days, and typically by 6-7pm I am not hungry but eat with my family anyway.

I am sick and tired of feeling crappy all the time. Hopefully this is the answer for me!!
  • OMADJay
    OMADJay Posts: 2 Member
    My name is Jay, and I am coming back to take control of myself. Living with obesity is like living sideways, not very practical or comfortable.

I recognize that I have always had food control issues (i.e. emotional eating, binging...), but it is really the past 8 years or so that I have been stuck in a serious rut with my obesity. I am tired of living in quiet desperation, and believe that perhaps the secret weapon is the one meal a day plan.

I feel highly fortunate to come across the inspirational weight loss success story of Arguablysamson. We have many similarities with the 'before' stats. I started OMAD on Nov 1, 2014. My stats on this day was 353lbs at 6ft. My ultimate goal weight range is between 200-220 lbs. My OMAD time is between 5 pm - 9 pm.

Let's do this by taking it One Meal A Day.

Jay
  • OMADZombie
    OMADZombie Posts: 15 Member
    Name: Jayme
    Weight: 261.4
    Height: 4 ft 10
    Struggles: Binging for sure. I've lost touch with my body and hunger signals and I hope to reconnect with them by doing OMAD.
    Goal weight range: 90 to 105 pounds
    Time of your OMAD: 4:30pm to 5:30pm
    Your OMAD start date: March 5th, 2015

If anyone would like another friend or more support, feel free to friend me! :)
  • arguablysamson
    Struggles: Binging for sure. I've lost touch with my body and hunger signals and I hope to reconnect with them by doing OMAD.

Welcome!

Please feel right at home. Our society of way, waaaay too much food has done a good job at creating a surplus of bingers. I was one for many years. It's time to take back control. Just stick with the principles and you'll be a new person before too long.
  • LinDiSm26262
    OMADZombie wrote: »

Hi Jayme
    Welcome!
    Linda
  • OMADZombie
    OMADZombie Posts: 15 Member
    OMADZombie wrote: »

Hi Jayme
    Welcome!
    Linda

Thanks Linda! :D
  • supernova1967
    supernova1967 Posts: 2 Member
    Name: Diane
    Weight: 285
    Height: 5' 7"
    Goal Weight: 140-160 pounds
    OMAD time: 5-7 pm

Hi, Im a newbie here and came upon the OMAD diet by happy accident and been following for about 4 weeks or so.
    - My current weight is 285 and being 47 and 5.7 this is about twice the weight that I should be.
    - I started this journey following a really restrictive milk diet, 8 weeks ago, which was prescribed by the NHS- (I am waiting for revisional bariatric surgery). I found the milk diet impossibly hard (and I was bloated all the time) and so with advise, swapped milk in the evening for a small meal. I was still suffering from painful and very stinky wind (sorry. TMI) so cut out the milk altogether and increased my meal size in the evening. (I aim for about 1000 cals)
    - I also started exercising and have doubled the distance I can go in a really short time.
    - I have lost 21lb, possibly 5 or 6 more. (I am due a fortnightly weigh in tomorrow.) Weekdays are super easy. I don't get hungry during the day at all, not even when my work colleagues are munching on their sarnies and crisps. Weekends are a bit of a struggle but still manageable and I eat low cal snacks throughout the day but do not go over my cals limit.
    - I really do think this is the way for me to go forward. It takes away so many struggles and decisions and makes sticking to a low cal diet really easy.
    - Im so glad to see so many others who are willing to fly in the face of convention and are succeeding. xx
  • arguablysamson
    Welcome, Diane. As I've said to others, get ready for "bigger" and better changes. :p