eggs vs egg whites ?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Egg whites make me sad - all those good yolks wasted. :disappointed:

Some people go with the whites to save cals I guess, but I eat the whole egg. Heck, if use egg whites in a recipe, I'll save the yolks and add them to my eggs the next day for breakfast!

Three large whole eggs, (or just two if I have bacon), toast and black coffee is a regular breakfast for me.

pretty much this.

I generally won't eat straight egg white anything- it tastes like disappointment to me. But- because I'm getting a lot more detailed with my food- i'm cutting/saving calories but fluffing the omelette as it were- and doing either 2 eggs with 3 egg whites- or 3 eggs and 2 whites.... saves me some calories.

And yes- I throw yolks out. It's 3.49 for 2 dozen eggs it's 5.69 for a cartoon of 14 egg whites.

yeah- sorry I'm wasting the yolks. And no my effing cats won't eat them- I tried- it just makes a mess. if I had dogs I feed the dog-but I don't. So I'm a waster. oh well. Anyone know if they are any good for the garden? LOL
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited March 2015
    I will eat egg whites mixed with a whole egg, but the whites plain are kind of rough to eat.

I prefer the whole eggs when they fit my goals
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    I love egs and I eat a mix of the whole/whites when trying to reduce fat calories. When trying to gain muscle I eat the whole egg.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    the egg yolk is the part of the egg that is "high" in cholesterol. If you are watching cholesterol intake than one whole egg and several whites is your best option.

It has recently been found that eating foods high in cholesterol does not increase the cholesterol in your blood stream. The two are completely unrelated.

There is no longer a legitimate reason to watch how much cholesterol you eat.
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    I don't believe it's better to just eat the whites. Plus, I feel it's a huge waste. I have no issues with cholesterol or really any health issues besides my thyroid being busted and Celiac disease.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    I eat the whole egg and just fit it into my calories for the day.
    A lot of the calories come from the yolk, so if you want more "food" and less calories, and you are fine with the taste, go for it.
    As with most things we eat, moderation and portion size.
  • kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member
    It does cut your calorie intake but it is a waste nonetheless.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    People tend to eat egg whites either because they're afraid of eating cholesterol in the yolk (nonsense), or they want more volume for the calories. However, volume means nothing if you're still hungry, which you are, so eat the yolks and work them into your calorie goal. Quite frankly they're my favorite part.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    All the nutrients (except the protein) are in the yolk. It's hard to get a more nutritionally dense food than an egg, so eat the whole damn thing and love it lol
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Whole eggs for me, yummy runny.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Egg whites by themselves are one of the least satisfying foods I have ever tried. So much flavor and texture missing, and science has changed its mind (again) and decided that dietary cholesterol isn't important when it comes to cholesterol levels in your blood, so except to save calories, there isn't much reason to toss the yolks.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Quite frankly they're my favorite part.

Same here. When making eggs I try to keep them intact best I can, and when I succeed, I always hold the yolks for last - after I've eaten everything else.
  • unlikelyathlete
    unlikelyathlete Posts: 62 Member
    I switch back and forth depending on what I'm eating in the rest of my breakfast. If I want to have enough calories to also eat oatmeal or an english muffin, I'll have a few egg whites instead of an egg. Sometimes I'll have a real egg. Both have protein.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    I usually make my breakfast sandwich with one whole egg and one egg white. I started adding the egg white as a way to increase the protein with a minimal calorie increase. I do buy the carton of egg whites though.
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Guess I'm a weirdo, but I prefer just the whites. The texture and taste of yolks grosses me out. Always has. Oh well, my dogs like them.
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Sometimes I'll do like two whole and then a white or two when I'm making something like an omelet but I usually eat the whole egg. So much nutrition in the yolk.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Egg whites make me sad - all those good yolks wasted. :disappointed:

Some people go with the whites to save cals I guess, but I eat the whole egg. Heck, if use egg whites in a recipe, I'll save the yolks and add them to my eggs the next day for breakfast!

Three large whole eggs, (or just two if I have bacon), toast and black coffee is a regular breakfast for me.

pretty much this.

I generally won't eat straight egg white anything- it tastes like disappointment to me. But- because I'm getting a lot more detailed with my food- i'm cutting/saving calories but fluffing the omelette as it were- and doing either 2 eggs with 3 egg whites- or 3 eggs and 2 whites.... saves me some calories.

And yes- I throw yolks out. It's 3.49 for 2 dozen eggs it's 5.69 for a cartoon of 14 egg whites.

yeah- sorry I'm wasting the yolks. And no my effing cats won't eat them- I tried- it just makes a mess. if I had dogs I feed the dog-but I don't. So I'm a waster. oh well. Anyone know if they are any good for the garden? LOL

Where I live it is the opposite, a dozen free-range eggs are$4.99 and a carton of free-range egg whites (16 eggs) is $3.29.

By the way my grandmother used to swear by beer and egg yolks as a hair conditioner.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    the egg yolk is the part of the egg that is "high" in cholesterol. If you are watching cholesterol intake than one whole egg and several whites is your best option.

It has recently been found that eating foods high in cholesterol does not increase the cholesterol in your blood stream. The two are completely unrelated.

There is no longer a legitimate reason to watch how much cholesterol you eat.

If you hadn't said it, I would have :)
    When my sister-in-law went on a low cholesterol diet years ago her numbers went very high - her body over compensated.

Eat the whole egg!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Protein and fats have satiety value. The yolk contains most of the fat and most of the nutrition. If you have the calories - eat the yolks! If you don't maybe do 1 whole egg and a couple of egg whites.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    I eat the whole egg minus that squiggle white thing, that disgusts me. I think it might be the umbilical cord if it was a fertilized egg.