What's Working (Or Not Working) For You?

Hi! I'm pretty new to the group, and was wondering what fellow PCOS'ers have been doing to see success? (And if this has already been discussed, then I'll happily follow a link!)

I'm finding it extremely difficult to lose weight (and this week I didn't do myself any favours by eating Chinese food two nights in a row...), but I've lost weight before (pre-PCOS) and it was do-able. This time it feels...impossible? Three weeks of counting and watching and I still weigh the exact same.

Any ideas? Suggestions? What works for you!?
Thanks! Xox

Replies

• rowclic
    rowclic Posts: 19 Member
    Hi there!!
    Nice to see someone else from Ottawa on here!
    Two suggestions...
    1- Cut out those carbs - anywhere you can! I'm doing 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs - it's tough but doable!
    2- Have you researched Inositol? I'm only on day three but very hopeful based on the studies!
    You can do it!!!!
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Paleo, Low carb - slow carb (food combining to minimize the GI effects of higher carb foods)
    Inositol
    Moderate exercise

Following those 3 things, first 30 pounds (of about 60 to lose) came off pretty much 'by the numbers' it's been vv slow going since. I'm losing a few pounds a month currently, and I'm ok with the slower pace atm, as long as I'm not gaining.
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    Loving the replies!

Re: Carbs/Macros = I've got mine set to (I believe) 25% carbs, 40% protein, and 35% fat. Sometimes I go a tiny bit over the carbs, but I don't think that's so crazy since it's already only at 25%!

Inositol? = What does it do? Do I need a prescription? Can anyone vouch for it doing...anything? Hahaha. I don't really want to drop money on something if it's not going to do anything for me.

Paleo = I recently found out I'm allergic to dairy, so I'm already halfway there, I suppose! :p

Exercising = I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing with that. For a while I'd been doing calisthenics (sit-ups, push-ups, squats, etc) and I wasn't budging on the scale or even in measurements. I'm going to try more cardio stuff now to see if that helps?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited February 2015
    Loving the replies!

Re: Carbs/Macros = I've got mine set to (I believe) 25% carbs, 40% protein, and 35% fat. Sometimes I go a tiny bit over the carbs, but I don't think that's so crazy since it's already only at 25%!

Inositol? = What does it do? Do I need a prescription? Can anyone vouch for it doing...anything? Hahaha. I don't really want to drop money on something if it's not going to do anything for me.

Paleo = I recently found out I'm allergic to dairy, so I'm already halfway there, I suppose! :p

Exercising = I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing with that. For a while I'd been doing calisthenics (sit-ups, push-ups, squats, etc) and I wasn't budging on the scale or even in measurements. I'm going to try more cardio stuff now to see if that helps?

I'm personally a fan of the higher fat/ketogenic way of eating - 60-70% fat, 20-25% protein, 5-10% carbs. It's worked the best for me for not continuing to gain weight (still working on the "losing weight" part).

Inositol is a vitamin (B8, to be precise) supplement. You can get it over the counter for about $15 per half pound in powdered form from Amazon. It can help with insulin resistance, hormone balance, and cycle regularity. The effective dose is anywhere from about 2g on up (so the half-pound canister will last you about two months), and it has pretty much no side effects.

As for exercise, I'm a big fan of heavy lifting programs and similar progressive, challenging strength training. Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for Women are awesome resources for heavy lifting, and You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning are the usual go-tos for bodyweight training. The thing with these programs is that they help improve hormone balance, as well. Heavy lifting and Inositol are the only two things that have allowed me to have my period more frequently than once a year or so.

Cardio is hit or miss with PCOS. Interval training is okay, but sustained endurance cardio is counterproductive, due to the hormonal effects it has (increased cortisol being the biggest one). If you want to do "cardio," far be it from me to stop you, but favor high intensity intervals over sustained mid-level intensity. Or, as Mark Sisson (author of The Primal Blueprint; great read, by the way) puts it -- move frequently at a slow pace (ie - walk a lot), lift heavy things, and sprint once in a while.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Carbs are your enemy, especially if you have Insulin resistant PCOS, which many many women do. So you might have to lower your carbs even more, but you wont know for sure until you try.

With PCOS it is all about the individual. What works for me might not work for you and probably wont be the same for someone else. You have to find a balance of carbs/protein/fats that works for you and your weightloss and your lifestyle. Just remember, if you lower carbs, up your fats. Your body uses carbs, then fats for energy and protein is basically used as a building block, not fuel or energy.

My macros are 5% carbs, 30% protein and 65% fat, and if i stick to that, ill lose weight and feel awesome. But I had to work down to that realization thru trial and error. I started with higher carbs and the metformin let me know right away that wasnt going to fly. So ive lowered till ive found a good place to be.

There are good paleo boards here on MFP, search them out. I know @dragonwolf is part of those boards and very knowledgeable about Paleo/Primal.

Cardio will help with insulin which might help with weightloss. If you have IR, cardio is a huge plus against high insulin levels. But with PCOS lifting heavy is a HUGE benefit. You wont get bulky but it does help a lot with hormone levels and changing your measurements.

Inositol can be purchased from places like Amazon. It has no side effects even at higher doses. It helps with many things, mental health, egg quality, insulin regulation, etc. It is actually a compound your body already makes, you just often dont make enough of it. You can get a powder form off Amazon for fairly cheap and can adjust your dosage as you need to. I take about 6g a day, split into two doses. I believe @Dragonwolf takes a higher dose but takes it all at once. It is probably one of the best things for PCOS and most women who have tried it have found some or a lot of success on it.

There are other herbs and such that can help depending on your needs and if you are TTC or not.
  • Alliwan
    Also forgot to add, i take a few other suppliments for insulin and hormone balance. I take cinnamon, chromium, magnesium, Vitex and Evening Primrose Oil. All help with either insulin or hormone balance.
  • rowclic
    rowclic Posts: 19 Member
    Hi ladies. In most of the studies I read they require folic acid be taken with the Inositol. I'm taking both along with Omega3 and vitamin D. For this using Inositol - are you taking folic as well?
  • Alliwan
    rowclic wrote: »
    Hi ladies. In most of the studies I read they require folic acid be taken with the Inositol. I'm taking both along with Omega3 and vitamin D. For this using Inositol - are you taking folic as well?

I take it in a prenatal vitamin I take. I take GNC's prenatals because it is in 3 liquigels so i digest it easier and it doesnt upset my tummy. The prenatals have the higher doses of things i am low in, calcium, d3, b12, folic acid, etc. I also have to suppliment d3, b12 and fish oil in addition to the prenatals.

So i actually take a lot of pills, but most of them ive tested low in and was recommended by the doctor to take.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I do not take anything to help the absorption of the Inositol, but I also do not take it in the dosages others do. A smaller dosage (1-500 mg tablet) works well for me for wakefulness. Anything more makes me tired (which I know is one of the helpful side effects for some).

If/when I take my multivitamin, which admittedly is not as often or as much as recommended, I'm sure it has folic acid in it. I don't take Omega 3's right now. For vitamin D3, you should be taking calcium to aid absorption (which is why it was added to milk - ready calcium source!). I usually take it before a walk out doors or around lunch time, which for me almost always includes some kind of cheese.

Overall, as supplements, I take Inositol, Iodoral (thyroid support), and D3 usually together. Later I take B12 and cranberry extract (aids absorption). A night I take the multi (many things in it conflict with an am medication I must take by itself), and about every other night, magnesium (there is potassium in the multi).

Other than Rx's, I can't think of anything else I take off hand.
  • 42carrots
    42carrots Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2015
    Nice idea for a thread! I started using MFP and taking Spironolactone for PCOS at roughly the same time, 4 and 3 months ago respectively (wow feels like it's been longer). I started at a 100mg dose of spiro, and increased it to 200mg about a month ago as I've read that this is an optimal dosage, and my endo agreed. Both have brought about significant improvements in my life, physically and mentally. I've lost about 12 pounds in that time which I think can be attributed to both (one of the effects of Spiro is that it seems to have reduced my appetite to what feels like a more "normal" level, making it easier to follow the calorie deficit needed to help me lose those pounds through tracking on mfp) and am very close to what I think is my ideal weight at this point.

I used to eat more erratically, before using MFP and tracking my meals, I would often eat past the point of fullness which would lead to feeling bloated and tired and I think sometimes even depressed after those meals. I've figured out generally what the right amount of food is for me to have at a meal, to where I feel satisfied without that 'uugh' feeling afterwards. Some days I'm hungrier than others, and I use snacks to bridge the gaps between meals to greater or lesser degrees depending on my hunger level (which is usually related to my cycle). I was already getting better at ensuring that I was eating enough protein throughout the day, now I'm working on reducing carb intake as low as I can, and increasing healthy fats. Most days I'm coming in under 100 net carbs, would like to get it down to around 50 or less on a consistent basis eventually. I do have insulin resistance which I wasn't really formally aware of before, and this knowledge is helping me stay committed to a sustainable low carb lifestyle. This is hard because like many people I grew up on bread and a carb heavy diet (my dad could live entirely off of carbs and peanut butter, I think), my favourite foods are things like pizza and sandwiches really, but maintaining as high a level of physical and mental wellness as possible needs to take priority.

Fortunately I've been learning that there are some pretty good carb substitutes out there - I made cauliflower crust pizza the other day and it was way better than I had anticipated, and I'm looking forward to trying some low cab friendly bread recipes soon, most seems to have almond flour, coconut flour or flax meal as a base. Making egg muffins loaded with vegetables and eating lots of cottage cheese has been a staple. Drinking less beer and wine has helped I'm sure too, that mostly came about when I started tracking calories because I never really gave much thought to how many calories they had in them! (and they also would usually lead to an uncontrollable urge to eat way too much late night pizza)

From reading about it on this forum, I recently started taking myo-inositol in powder form, only started about a week and can't tell if it's helping yet, but I haven't noticed any negative effects, and it tastes surprisingly delicious!I Sometimes I take a multivitamin, but not consistently since I take Spiro twice a day with food and Inositol once a day with food, and am not always sure if I should have a multivitamin along side any of those, need to look into that with my doctor or pharmacist (also if anyone has any input, that's definitely welcome as well)
  • Annette_906
    Annette_906 Posts: 44 Member
    The paleo lifestyle has been my biggest help, I try to do the 80/20 version. I find that dairy makes me painfully bloated, especially milk, so I try to stay away as mush as I can. I have never taken any meds for my PCOS and hopefully I can keep fighting it with healthy eating and exercise :)
  • I was thinking about trying Whole30, but the PCOS list is so incredibly restrictive that I'm not sure I'd mentally be able to yet.

I do a 40% carb, 30% fats and protein and it works for me. I'm not insulin resistant, though. Most of my carbs come from fresh fruits and veggies, not the starchy kind.. those are limited to once or twice a day, but a serving on my plan is around 1/2c, so I try to stick with that. -9lbs and -13.75in in 2 weeks. We are all different though
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I was thinking about trying Whole30, but the PCOS list is so incredibly restrictive that I'm not sure I'd mentally be able to yet.

Huh? Whole 30 isn't any different for PCOS than it is for anyone else -- eat what works for you within the framework. For the most part, the only appreciable difference is that you probably don't want to eat as many root vegetables as someone with a better metabolism.
  • ShrinkingBerry
    ShrinkingBerry Posts: 27 Member
    There are foods we aren't supposed to be eating? (Besides watching carbs, I mean.)
  • Alliwan
    There are foods we aren't supposed to be eating? (Besides watching carbs, I mean.)

Depends on your macros and what works for you. Most of us PCOS women need to LCHF to some degree to lose weight, so there are quite a few fruits and some veggies you would have a hard time fitting into your WOE. Wheat/gluten and dairy also can cause some issues with some PCOS women, both in how they feel and in weightloss, so many avoid those too.

But if you havent noticed a problem, you arent starving or even very hungry while you lose weight steadily, then you probably dont have to worry about changing anything.

But if you bloat, or potty, or feel sick, or see a slowing in weightloss if you eat too many carbs or wheat or dairy then you might need to cut something back or down. If you are just hungry then up your fats and lower your carbs.
  • mhulgan
    mhulgan Posts: 101 Member
    Some people may think it's cheating, but Metformin has been exceedingly helpful for me. My ob gyn put me on it when I was diagnosed with PCOS/insulin resistance three years ago. I started losing weight like I never have (1 lb a week or so), and my periods became regular for the first time in my life. I was already exercising daily and eating a balanced diet, and the medication seemed to make a big difference.
  • Alliwan
    mhulgan wrote: »
    Some people may think it's cheating, but Metformin has been exceedingly helpful for me. My ob gyn put me on it when I was diagnosed with PCOS/insulin resistance three years ago. I started losing weight like I never have (1 lb a week or so), and my periods became regular for the first time in my life. I was already exercising daily and eating a balanced diet, and the medication seemed to make a big difference.

Taking Met would be cheating how exactly? It is made so your cells recognize the insulin you make as insulin, so you stop over producing it. This means you have less chance of getting diabetes since your pancreas stops being over taxed. Met is often the first go to for Insulin Resistance because it works, and it is cheap.

I dont think it is cheating anything except your chances at diabetes and non-existent weight loss. Many many of us here take it or have taken it in addition to other things that help.
  • softballmonkey45
    softballmonkey45 Posts: 11 Member
    I was just recently diagnosed with PCOS and will soon be starting spironolactone in a few days. I have read a lot about the benefits of losing weight with PCOS and have about 30 pounds to loose. I'm looking for some MFP friends who share in the same struggle that I am about to embark upon. Not only the struggle of loosing weight but also struggling with the idea of having yet another health problem like PCOS and all the random systemic side effects that aren't exactly in the name :-)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Alliwan wrote: »
    mhulgan wrote: »

Taking Met would be cheating how exactly? It is made so your cells recognize the insulin you make as insulin, so you stop over producing it. This means you have less chance of getting diabetes since your pancreas stops being over taxed. Met is often the first go to for Insulin Resistance because it works, and it is cheap.

I dont think it is cheating anything except your chances at diabetes and non-existent weight loss. Many many of us here take it or have taken it in addition to other things that help.

I agree with @Alliwan, @mhulgan - how is taking a prescribed medication for a verifiable medical condition cheating in any way shape or form? That's like saying, you have diabetes, but you're cheating because you're taking insulin -- or -- I'm sorry you're bipolar, but I'm not going to give you anti-psychotics, because that's cheating, etc.

Whoever tells you that you are cheating to treat your diagnosed medical conditions is nuts. You keep on doing right by yourself and you're golden.
  • mhulgan
    mhulgan Posts: 101 Member
    Thanks :blush: I guess I'm around a lot of people who think "natural remedies" are the way to go, so I felt a little guilty when taking the medication made such a drastic improvement. Crazy, I know!