Newbie - Weigh in Frustration

So frustrating to get on the scale day after day and seeing a difference of .2 or .1 (+/-) knowing I'm putting in the effort. Looking for friendship and guidance along this journey.
Samantha

Replies

• sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Hi and welcome! This journey is alot easier if you weigh yourself once a week. Your weight will fluctuate throughout the week, so the scale might disappoint often. Pick one day to weigh yourself and record it. As long as you are focusing on day to day calorie management, you'll be OK in the long run.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Why are you frustrated? Are you making positive choices and decisions? Are you feeling better? It's not a race.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    14 months.... 72 lbs gone.... sometimes I had big losses (and I had a LOT to lose)... sometimes small... sometimes none..... occasional gains
    Time and patience. Time and patience.
    I weigh myself every day, log it and forget about it.
    If you are tracking EVERYTHING and below your calories for the day it will come off.
  • rissa81507
    rissa81507 Posts: 2 Member
    Take your time. The results will come and you will hit your goal. If you get frustrated you might fall back into those comforting unhealthy habits and that will do so much damage to your emotional state. You can do it!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Do you mean that you're weighing yourself every day? Do it once a week if it's going to drive you crazy.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    My best suggestion - weigh-in once a week at the same time (I like the first thing in the a.m. after I've pottied and right before I shower). This will give you the most accurate and consistent readings. Weighing every day can be extremely frustrating due to differences in water weight, etc.

I used to be a weigh every day kind of girl. But some days I could gain a couple of pounds and I'd been right on task the day before. It just drove me crazy. Now it's once a week and I almost always see a loss - and yes even in a whole week sometimes it's just a .2 lb.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    If you are going to weigh daily chart it! Those .1 and .2's will add up and make you feel better when you have to back out and look at the larger picture.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    There is an app called Happy Scale that you can log your daily weigh-ins. Then it will chart it so you can see your overall progression.
  • Ibknute
    Ibknute Posts: 43 Member
    As already mentioned here, weighing daily can easily lead to frustration and make you more prone to not keep the commitment to a better you. For MFP purposes I suggest, as others have, you pick a day and time (mine is Sunday morning after I get up) to use as you official weigh-in. You weight will fluctuate during the week and even throughout the day so the same time of day is just as important as the day of the week. This gives you a similar context each week.

If you really want to weigh multiple times during the week, you need to recognize that there will be fluctuations. You might see a .5 or even full pound drop over a couple days but then nothing for a couple more days. Being aware of your environment helps you better understand why you are at the level you are.

I do weigh myself 2-3 other times during the week just to see how things are going and I use an app called Libra to track all of these. I heard about it from other MFP members and it helps you track you weight but also give you trend information. .1 or .2 differences do add up quicker than you realize and the trend line will help encourage you that you are making progress.

You can do this and let me know any way I can help you along your journey! Remember that it is a journey and not a sprint. Slow and steady will get you where you want/need to be and you will be better able to maintain a healthier and fitter you by viewing this as a lifestyle change and not just a "diet" or exercise program that has an end date.
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    I didn't lose any weight the first couple of weeks. I've been steadily losing 1 to 2 lbs per week since. I don't weigh every day I'd go crazy with disappointment! - in fact, I usually don't even weigh once a week. I give it enough time to really notice a change.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    I started my weight loss journey on January 19 and by February 11 I had lost 19 pounds. From February 12 - February 28 I did not lose a pound. I was so frustrated but this week I have started losing again. You can do it.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    One year, 40 pounds. Lots of setbacks, frustrations, tears, joys, and NSV's. Feel free to add me... I'm on just about every day
  • irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Just want to say be gentle on yourself your body doesn't know what you are trying to do, and if you focus on living a healthier lifestyle with exercise and healthy eating, it will all happen... for me I started gradually with simple things I knew I could achieve (start exercising 3 times a week 30 minutes each time etc) and built from there. Everyone is different but be good to you - I would also wait to weigh yourself - things like sodium, water can make your weight vary dramatically from day to day. Good luck - feel free to add me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Here is what weighing yourself daily does:

j1rk82gpr25v.jpg