Fun Weight Loss Facts

#1:
it takes 3500 calories burned to lose 1pound!

#2:
Current weight×10 = the caloric intake your body needs to maintain current weight

Goal weight ×10 = the caloric intake you need to be at (should not be under 1100 for women and 1300 for men)

Subtract the 2 caloric intake values and that is how much you "burn" just from dieting!

Add your calories burned from exercise and divide by 3500 and that is your estimated pounds lost.
(This is just rough estimate calculations... often times weight lost is more than estimated value.)

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    The things people consider to be facts...
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Oookaaay... whatever makes it easier for you to stay at a deficit.
  • AllieMitchell15
    AllieMitchell15 Posts: 21 Member
    My doctors told me this. And i thought i would share that information. No need to be rude to someone for trying to be helpful
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    Nope...I'm actually losing eating at current weight x10 (weight 188, TDEE-20% is 1875)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Yeah, not facts...
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    My doctors told me this. And i thought i would share that information. No need to be rude to someone for trying to be helpful

Why the X 10 though? I mean, there's calorie calculators all over the internet that are way more complex than X

I was going to say that no... you're not "burning" calories when you aren't consuming them... they just disappear. You've stopped maintaining, and started eating at a deficit.

Also, I think for a lot of people here that I have noticed, the word diet seems to be synonymous with "fad" or something temporary. Many people here including myself are making a lifestyle change. I certainly don't want to maintain at 209, I have bad eating habits that need to be rectified so I never gain the weight back again.

I mean, it's a good ledge to jump off of in regards to starting a health journey because it makes you become aware of how much you're eating. But it doesn't take into account BMR, eating habits, food attachment/detachment, and lifestyle.
  • AllieMitchell15
    I was told this by several doctors and a licensed nutritionist and in my opinion it was interesting information. Its just an estimation and doesn't apply to everyone. Please dont be rude about it... if you dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all thank you.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Yeeeaaah, that would make maintenance only 1580 calories for me. Plus, if the calculation for what you need to be at to lose was right, that would mean that becomes your maintenance level when you get to it. This also doesn't take into account height, gender, activity level...

Sorry, but your doctor is way wrong.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I can maintain on more than 1460 calories. That would be pretty sad to know I had to eat no more than that to maintain.
  • Nony_Mouse
    I was told this by several doctors and a licensed nutritionist and in my opinion it was interesting information. Its just an estimation and doesn't apply to everyone. Please dont be rude about it... if you dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all thank you.

Sorry, but flat out misinformation shouldn't be allowed to stand. I'm very sorry that you've been misinformed, and I'm sorry that your feelings are hurt by being corrected. Personally, I'd rather have someone tell me that something is hogwash than not say anything and let me continue with a false belief.
  • Nony_Mouse
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I can maintain on more than 1460 calories. That would be pretty sad to know I had to eat no more than that to maintain.

OMG I know right!! Also, I know for a fact I can maintain at a higher intake than that at my goal weight, because I have (and then I ate more, and...).
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited March 2015
    Nevermind. My sentiments have already been better stated by others. Being helpful sometimes requires correcting misinformation. We're all human, and make mistakes. Medical professional are not immune to this human flaw.
  • AllieMitchell15
    Im feeling attacked and hurt.... you guys are being rude about what doctors told me. Have any of you talked to your doctor's and a nutritionist about your weight loss goals and got professional help???
    The Internet is not always correct either.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    2vg1kb32rlsi.jpg
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nobody has attacked you. All they've done is tell you you've been misinformed.
  • AllieMitchell15
    You guys dont have to be so MEAN about it... god... i get it... ALL OF YOU ARE BEING SO MEAN!!
    I went out and got professional help and advice and you disagree. Agree to disagree and let it go!
    You dont have to keep pestering and attacking me... do you want me to cry?? Well good cause you got that....
  • GlamourVintage
    GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member
    I don't think this is a "fact"...more like an opinion that is inaccurate from a doctor on weight loss. A fact is that you need to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 pound.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Im feeling attacked and hurt.... you guys are being rude about what doctors told me. Have any of you talked to your doctor's and a nutritionist about your weight loss goals and got professional help???
    The Internet is not always correct either.

Yes I have. And I received very different information, that did not include arbitrary x10 calculations. My dietary food choices were suggested based on my medical needs (high cholesterol and BP), and intake level was recommended based on my tested RMR and activity level. This plan was given to me by the registered dietician to whom I was referred by my GP, and verified by my school's RD. Never was body weight x 10 ever mentioned.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    You guys dont have to be so MEAN about it... god... i get it... ALL OF YOU ARE BEING SO MEAN!!
    I went out and got professional help and advice and you disagree. Agree to disagree and let it go!
    You dont have to keep pestering and attacking me... do you want me to cry?? Well good cause you got that....

If this thread made you cry, perhaps the MFP forums aren't the right fit for you.

No one attacked or insulted you and I didn't see a single mean post. People were just trying to point out that the information you posted is a very loose estimate and that there are more accurate ways to get the the information, and eat more! Yay for eating more!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Again, I don't see anyone being mean. To the point, maybe, but just because it's not sugarcoated doesn't equal mean. Hell, I even said 'sorry' more than once!!

Now what your doctor may be talking about is basal metabolic rate (though even then that calculation doesn't work, I just did mine to check). But that rate is for someone in a coma, ie the amount of calories required to maintain your essential bodily functions while doing absolutely nothing else.
This discussion has been closed.