College

Does anyone else feel like its hard to lose weight in college? My groceries are on a budget and I do not want to just eat rice and bland foods. Im busy so working out is difficult too. Any advice?

Replies

• GlamourVintage
    GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member
    It will be difficult at times. I say give yourself 30 mins to workout. We can't make excuses. My budget is extremely low like 25 dollars a week low, you can get can goods or a bag of rice and beans. Then add some frozen veggies for like a dollar and a family size chicken legs packages (that can last you a month). It's all about counting calories. Eat what you want just portion control.

Add me if you need advice and help when it comes to food. Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    That's just life. It's always difficult and you can't make excuses if you want to lose weight or improve your fitness

What do you think will happen after college? Travel, work, home building, social life, relationships, children etc etc

• ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    It will be difficult at times. I say give yourself 30 mins to workout. We can't make excuses. My budget is extremely low like 25 dollars a week low, you can get can goods or a bag of rice and beans. Then add some frozen veggies for like a dollar and a family size chicken legs packages (that can last you a month). It's all about counting calories. Eat what you want just portion control.

rabbitjb wrote: »
    That's just life. It's always difficult and you can't make excuses if you want to lose weight or improve your fitness

What do you think will happen after college? Travel, work, home building, social life, relationships, children etc etc

These...bump
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member

^ This.
    Also eggs, lentils, peanuts and peanut butter, almonds, oatmeal, canned tuna, pasta, potatoes, apples, grapes, chick peas, canned tomatoes, kale, cabbage, onions, garlic.

Shop the bottom rows in the aisles. The eye level items are the most expensive.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Guys, consider that this is college. It's possible stuff like raw chicken and frozen foods can only be gotten in small amounts, assuming a dorm setup, since those usually only have a mini-fridge.

Canned tuna, canned chicken, potatoes, pasta, dry fruits, peanuts, oats (I make mine more exciting by adding some whey protein and frozen/dried fruits), beans, rice, and all that. For a superfast meal, I like to keep a few cans of turkey chili on hand, just pop half the can (Or the whole thing if you can fit it into your macros) into a bowl, nuke it, and you have a meal that has tons of protein, and fiber. Canned sardines are ~$1 here, and they come in water, oil, mustard, or hot sauce, taste great on crackers, and are chock full of omega-3 and protein.

If you're on a meal plan, go for salads and grilled chicken burgers, if available, are the obvious choices.

Buy tons of seasonings and condiments, they're cheap in the long run, and they can make the difference between bland and delicious. Really, just eat less in general and you'll lose weight. Losing weight should SAVE you money.

As for working out, just wake up earlier in the morn. You have time. Don't say you don't, you have plenty of time.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Can catch good deals on the large hamburger meats and things like pork chops and just portion em out
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Food doesn't have to be bland when dieting. You just need to use the right seasoning/condiments.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

This.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    I am a full time student (15 units) and also have one on-campus job and one off-campus job. If I can find time, you can! You just have to make it a priority :)

Pre-portioned snacks and freezing foods like chicken and some meals really helps! Definitely meal prep :)