Sometimes I really hate being a woman...

Replies

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited March 2015
    elphie754 wrote: »
    KrisAZ000 wrote: »

To be honest, I haven't read through the responses since I'm at work.

I have to say though, I absolutely HATE this mentality. Sure pms can be bad and we joke/complain about it constantly, but to say you hate being a woman because of it? Ridiculously over dramatic and not needed at all.

She specifically said sometimes she hates being a woman. Not always. Maybe your periods aren't that bad, but no need to get all judgy on women who just want to commiserate with other women who understand what they're going through. You can nonchalantly say that sure PMS can be bad, but how do you know exactly how bad it is for every woman? For me, it's really bad. I get horrible migraines and cramps that make it hard to function, frequently leave me in tears and unable to sleep, and negatively impact the quality of my life for multiple days every month, sometimes causing me to miss work or other important engagements. So if in the moment, I say I hate being a woman, the last thing I'd need is some judgy comment from a woman who thinks I'm being "ridiculous." Seems to me that it's your comment that wasn't needed. Why even respond to OP's thread if you found it so unneeded?

Oh yes. Mfp. I forgot you can only comment if you agree with the OP.

Seriously. How do you know it isn't bad for me? It used to be living hell. iy sometimes still is. Especially when I have a job that I don't always get the liberty of knowing the next time I get to use the bathroom. During that time of the month? Yeah- it sucks. Carrying someone down 6 flights of stairs when my abdomen feels like it is recreating a war zone? Not fun at all. Not to mention I had to stop BC pills (and all BC medication) for a bit and had periods that could literally be compared to Niagra falls(thankfully back on it).

All that said, I still find it absolutely ridiculous to state that you hate being a woman because of that. It is overly dramatic and not needed. I am sorry if that hurts your precious feelings, but it's the truth. I'm not exactly known for being nice.

Hey, it's fine if you disagree. I have no problem with that. I'll be the first to admit that I've learned a lot on this site by people disagreeing with me and challenging what I have to say. It's the personal attacks that aren't really necessary. Anyway, moving on...:) I'm not really here to argue.

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited March 2015
    GPHX_GEEK wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say, most of us share your pain. Not having that cake or cookies that you are just dying for doesn't even help when you go into craving overdrive; at least not for me. One time I was craving chips so badly (didn't have any) and I held off for as long as I could, but my brain just couldn't focus on anything else...I ended up eating a whole bag of croutons :'( ...yeah...it didn't make me feel better.

Lately though, I've been getting better at learning how to distract myself. First, I'll get as far away from the kitchen as possible will a full bottle of water. Sometimes, when my cravings are too much, that's the time I'll work out instead, or if I already worked out I'll do a relaxing stretching routine like this one. Tea also works for me (usually a chamomille, herbal blend) because I have to drink it slowly. And whatever you do, don't watch the Food Network :) .

Sounds like me. I do fight against it every month or at least find ways to manage it, but those cravings can be so strong they're distracting. And the hunger. It is literally stomach growling hunger and makes it hard to focus on anything else. Sometimes I get so hungry that I literally feel ill. I checked in to why this happens a while back, and found out it's because we as women are burning extra calories during that time since our bodies are working harder to prepare for our cycle, and worse yet, our hormones make us crave specific foods. I personally find this to be true, as my cravings are very specific during this time. The problem is we only burn approximately 100 to 300 extra calories per day, so that doesn't allow for a lot of extra wiggle room, lol. It depends on the woman. I'm not sure how true all that is, but that's what I read. Here's the link if you're interested. http://www.thewellpath.com/news/why-do-i-get-so-hungry-before-and-during-my-period/

I've gotten better myself too at not going over my calories. Usually, I can manage it even though it's not easy. But some months, like this one, are brutal. Ugh. Thanks for the stretching routine. I may give that a try. :) Plus, the weather is gorgeous here this weekend, so I can finally go outside and do some activity. We've gone from bitter cold to 60 degree weather. This next week it will be near 70. Yay.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    AWE!!! I love being a woman, esp considering the alternative! SOOOO glad I wasnt born a guy LoL! But then again, I don't get PMS... I do understand in a way though, because my daughter does, and she is *so* miserable! She goes between *eat all the food!* and *I cant even function more less eat!*

She just takes Pamprin curls up and out of frustration, has been known to go "Damn you Eve!!! You just *had* to eat the apple!*... That does crack me up...LoL esp since we aren't even religious, but every month I feel so bad for her!!!

That Ellen gif is gold though!!!
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    edited March 2015
    My TOM and my monthly weight loss summary fall RIGHT on the same weekend. Very annoying. I usually gain 2lbs around that time. Not helping ... -.- I think I need to shift either the cycle or the weight loss summary weekend *lol*
    Yesterday I swapped my planned dinner (salmon, spinach) for pizza. Well, it was made from scratch, including the dough, and I didn't go over my calories, but still, way more carbs than I wanted to eat.

But, as Christina Perri sings:

I'm only human
    And I bleed when I fall down
    I'm only human
    And I crash and I break down (and then eat a bag of M&Ms) :blush:
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    I have never actually understood why we bleed as part of our fertility cycle.

Yes, I get it, the uterine lining has been built up and must shed, blah blah, but if so, then other mammals' uterine linings must "need" to shed if no pregnancy occurs, correct? I mean a uterus is a uterus is a uterus. Yet I've never owned a cat, dog, hamster, etc. that wandered around bleeding steadily for days on end in any sort of cyclical fashion (or at all). As I understand things, some mammals ovulate at only certain times of year, others are stimulated to ovulate in the presence of males and so on, but even given that, surely a percentage of the time, that ovulation must result in no pregnancy so why no blood for them? Or if there's any at all it must surely be minimal as compared to humans, or any owner of a mature female mammal would be seeing it. I never have, personally, in 47 years of owning pets, including females.

If the uterine lining is reabsorbed or whatever for them, then why can't it be the same for us? Or if a shed for them is not actually necessary, why is it necessary for us?

We humans really drew the short straw here.

I wonder whether any of the other Great Apes menstruate and if not, how far back in evolution menstruation began for Homo Sapiens. I mean I can't imagine an Australopithecine female wandering around trailing blood everywhere...wouldn't that make her quite conspicuous to predators?

Things that make ya go hmm.
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    I have known dogs to menstruate if they are not spayed and I think most mammals do but most domestic pets are neutered so if female have had all of their reproductive organs removed so they do not have a uterus to line anyway.
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I have never actually understood why we bleed as part of our fertility cycle.

Yes, I get it, the uterine lining has been built up and must shed, blah blah, but if so, then other mammals' uterine linings must "need" to shed if no pregnancy occurs, correct? I mean a uterus is a uterus is a uterus. Yet I've never owned a cat, dog, hamster, etc. that wandered around bleeding steadily for days on end in any sort of cyclical fashion (or at all). As I understand things, some mammals ovulate at only certain times of year, others are stimulated to ovulate in the presence of males and so on, but even given that, surely a percentage of the time, that ovulation must result in no pregnancy so why no blood for them? Or if there's any at all it must surely be minimal as compared to humans, or any owner of a mature female mammal would be seeing it. I never have, personally, in 47 years of owning pets, including females.

If the uterine lining is reabsorbed or whatever for them, then why can't it be the same for us? Or if a shed for them is not actually necessary, why is it necessary for us?

We humans really drew the short straw here.

I wonder whether any of the other Great Apes menstruate and if not, how far back in evolution menstruation began for Homo Sapiens. I mean I can't imagine an Australopithecine female wandering around trailing blood everywhere...wouldn't that make her quite conspicuous to predators?

Things that make ya go hmm.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    edited March 2015
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    palwithme wrote: »
    I gave into my PMS cravings last Sunday and ate ALL my calories in cheese. I don't think I will have a craving for cheese for 6 months.

LOL...this is one of the first posts I saw when I opened this up today. Made me laugh. I ended up eating a big salad for supper with lots of protein and went to bed. I somehow managed to stay within my calories just barely...hopefully I'll have the same luck today. Although a bundlet from Nothing Bundt Cakes is calling my name. I may just go out and get one. Hey, they are only 400ish calories per cake. :neutral_face: ...But worth every damn calorie.

rm3n93ivhn68.jpg

I am glad I gave some people a laugh. Sad to say, I still have some cheese left and I am eating it today. So, my attempt to banish my craving for cheese by gorging on it failed.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I gave into my PMS cravings last Sunday and ate ALL my calories in cheese. I don't think I will have a craving for cheese for 6 months.

LOL...this is one of the first posts I saw when I opened this up today. Made me laugh. I ended up eating a big salad for supper with lots of protein and went to bed. I somehow managed to stay within my calories just barely...hopefully I'll have the same luck today. Although a bundlet from Nothing Bundt Cakes is calling my name. I may just go out and get one. Hey, they are only 400ish calories per cake. :neutral_face: ...But worth every damn calorie.

rm3n93ivhn68.jpg

I am glad I gave some people a laugh. Sad to say, I still have some cheese left and I am eating it today. So, my attempt to banish my craving for cheese by gorging on it failed.

No no no!! Do what I do and get rid of it straight away in one sitting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smiley:
  • palwithme
    Ha! I cut it, weighed it, entered it into MFP, and when I reached my calories I stopped. That is "moderation," right? Or, am I wrong? Ha Ha.
  • Christine_72
    Also, we *I* have no one to blame but myself. I have recently discovered hersheys peanut butter cups... They were on special yesterday, so I bought TEN of them :grumble: Long story short, I went over a tad on my calories yesterday.... If they weren't in the house, I couldn't have eaten them :angry:
  • palwithme
    The really funny thing is that I lost THREE pounds last week. I thought for sure I would maintain or even gain because I was so backed up from all that cheese.
  • palwithme
    Also, we *I* have no one to blame but myself. I have recently discovered hersheys peanut butter cups... They were on special yesterday, so I bought TEN of them :grumble: Long story short, I went over a tad on my calories yesterday.... If they weren't in the house, I couldn't have eaten them :angry:

Recently discovered...as in just learned about them or now have a special relationship with them?

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited March 2015
    Ladies, many of you know how it is. My PMS cravings are usually bad, but some months they are in complete overdrive. This is one of them. I feel like I could dive into a 100 pound bag of Cheetos and eat my way to the bottom, lol. Anyway, just venting...:).

I have to say though, I absolutely HATE this mentality. Sure pms can be bad and we joke/complain about it constantly, but to say you hate being a woman because of it? Ridiculously over dramatic and not needed at all.

Agreed. I love being a woman and wouldn't change if for the world. Today is International Womens Day and we should be celebrating who we are instead of making PMS jokes which is a way of making women feel like crap about their bodies but done by both genders.
  • Christine_72
    The really funny thing is that I lost THREE pounds last week. I thought for sure I would maintain or even gain because I was so backed up from all that cheese.

Awesomness :+1: our bodies are just strange, and always manage to surprise us

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    have you ever considered going on a birth control that will stop your periods? I have the arm implant and only get one once every 3-4 months, they're also lighter and I don't get the bad mood swings, food cravings, water weight gain, and other problems like I have in the past.
    Wednesday wrote:
    Those are very dangerous, many women have died from blood clots.
    Period blood is waste, that should always be expelled from the body
    Hormonal conception control does increase the risk of blood clots, esp. as a woman gets older or if she smokes.
    But being on birth control prevents the buildup of the endometrium, so there's nothing to shed.
    I love being a man just sayin... ;)
    jnv7594 wrote:
    Are you sure you want to say that in a thread full of hormonal women?
    Well, his first name is "Dangerous"... :wink:
    There are things which are great about being female: multiple orgasms, curves, strength, higher tolerance for pain, more choice in clothing.
    And there are things which are not great: anything related to having a period, anything related to giving birth, being thought of as weak, being (usually) weaker, being paid less, being expected to take care of the house & children even while employed.
    jnv7594 wrote:
    This is me tonight, lol. I ended up ordering pizza. I think the crazed look I was giving the pizza guy while it took him forever to run my debit card scared him. He now knows the look of a woman on the edge.
    LOL!
    elphie wrote:
    Sure pms can be bad and we joke/complain about it constantly, but to say you hate being a woman because of it? Ridiculously over dramatic
    Regularly being nauseated, in pain (cramps & migraines), wanting to eat every bit of fatty & salty food in sight, etc. isn't reason enough to hate one of the key things which defines being a woman???
    myfatass wrote:
    we should be celebrating who we are instead of making PMS jokes which is a way of making women feel like crap about their bodies
    I don't see jokes, I see a bunch of women commiserating about the horrid things we have to go through.
    And just looking at your user name, I'd venture to guess you "feel like crap" about your body.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »
    have you ever considered going on a birth control that will stop your periods? I have the arm implant and only get one once every 3-4 months, they're also lighter and I don't get the bad mood swings, food cravings, water weight gain, and other problems like I have in the past.
    Wednesday wrote:
    Those are very dangerous, many women have died from blood clots.
    Period blood is waste, that should always be expelled from the body
    Hormonal conception control does increase the risk of blood clots, esp. as a woman gets older or if she smokes.
    But being on birth control prevents the buildup of the endometrium, so there's nothing to shed.
    I love being a man just sayin... ;)
    jnv7594 wrote:
    Are you sure you want to say that in a thread full of hormonal women?
    Well, his first name is "Dangerous"... :wink:
    There are things which are great about being female: multiple orgasms, curves, strength, higher tolerance for pain, more choice in clothing.
    And there are things which are not great: anything related to having a period, anything related to giving birth, being thought of as weak, being (usually) weaker, being paid less, being expected to take care of the house & children even while employed.
    jnv7594 wrote:
    This is me tonight, lol. I ended up ordering pizza. I think the crazed look I was giving the pizza guy while it took him forever to run my debit card scared him. He now knows the look of a woman on the edge.
    LOL!
    elphie wrote:
    Sure pms can be bad and we joke/complain about it constantly, but to say you hate being a woman because of it? Ridiculously over dramatic
    Regularly being nauseated, in pain (cramps & migraines), wanting to eat every bit of fatty & salty food in sight, etc. isn't reason enough to hate one of the key things which defines being a woman???
    myfatass wrote:
    we should be celebrating who we are instead of making PMS jokes which is a way of making women feel like crap about their bodies
    I don't see jokes, I see a bunch of women commiserating about the horrid things we have to go through.
    And just looking at your user name, I'd venture to guess you "feel like crap" about your body.

My username is because I have a very sarcastic, black sense of humor. I actually happen to like my backside and my boobs a great amount. I have no issues with that as my weight loss is for health reasons rather than appearance.

I disagree with hating periods or what goes with them. It is the one time we get reminded how awesome our bodies are.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2015
    Honestly I don't mind my period anymore. It was awful before I lost weight, like... 'needing two overnight pads at the same time and still leaking' awful. Now it's very light and I've had maybe one leak in a year.

It's just the PMS that gets me. Usually it's a couple days before my period, and it hits me around ovulation too. Then one day at the end of my period (it was yesterday, but I only went 300 over TDEE, I had a couple treats that should have fit in my day until I started getting so hungry at 4pm, so I ended up over). It's just bad. I'm so hungry, I crave carbs (and typically it's not even chocolate or anything... more complex carbs) and fat. Typically I don't even crave sweets that much, but last time honestly I had some ice cream just hoping it would stop the cravings... but unfortunately it didn't... hence the 4500 calories that day. I think next time I'm just getting pizza for lunch when it happens... or a big plate of pasta.

Just hoping next month won't be as bad. Now it should be smooth sailing for 2 weeks at least, lol.
  • LAWoman72
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    Ladies, many of you know how it is. My PMS cravings are usually bad, but some months they are in complete overdrive. This is one of them. I feel like I could dive into a 100 pound bag of Cheetos and eat my way to the bottom, lol. Anyway, just venting...:).

Agreed. I love being a woman and wouldn't change if for the world. Today is International Womens Day and we should be celebrating who we are instead of making PMS jokes which is a way of making women feel like crap about their bodies but done by both genders.

I love to laugh. About anything and everything. In my family, we joke around all the time. I can't even imagine how life would feel (this is just me) if I could only feel offended and sour when people were getting through life's ups and downs with a good laugh and a lot of understanding. It seems as if it would feel pretty bleak.

• LAWoman72

Fantastic!

p.s. I'd love to discover ten peanut butter cups.
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2015

Recently discovered...as in just learned about them or now have a special relationship with them?

I just learned about them. I spotted them for the first time a couple weeks ago.
    Peanut butter and chocolate is an evil mix :open_mouth: