Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Replies

• kimzy132124
    kimzy132124 Posts: 75 Member
    I had always been skinny growing up. Played 4 sports, and ran 10 miles a day. As I got older and started to work instead I gained weight from lack of working out and an unhealthy diet. I went up to a size 22 after had had my daughter. Once I found out I was pregnant with my son I freaked. I was not about to gain another baby and a couple of pant sizes. So I changed my whole diet, and walked a lot. Only gain 1 lb during the pregnancy and came out of 25 lbs lighter. My son is 1 1/2 and I'm down around 60-70 depending on the week lol and still going.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Kimzy- great you decided to change your diet on 2nd preg., and even better 25lbs lighter and a new baby, plus losing 60lbs more, you have done wonderful, keep up the good work.
  • dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    None of my clothes fit and I couldn't afford a new wardrobe, let alone random pieces. My kids are young and I want to be around for them for a long time. Down 43 lbs since the end of September and within 5 of maintenance!
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    I've got a kidney transplant (16 years! Whoo!), and while looking into best care for it, I found out that transplant recipients are at a much higher risk for cardiovascular disease than the rest of the population. So I decided to start changing my lifestyle a little to see if I could reduce some of my risk factors.
    Also- and this is pretty big- I had a moment one night where I literally heard my brain say "I'm bored, let's eat something". And I was like waaaaaaaait a second here...I wish I could bottle that second of realization, it was pretty huge.
  • I woke up one day and decided that I wanted to live my life instead of just exist in it.
    I've yoyo dieted my entire life but this time I feel the change. I want to be healthy for my husband and my future kids. We are both on this weight loss journey together and it makes it way easier! :D
  • dougl004
    dougl004 Posts: 98 Member
    dawnsnarks wrote: »
    None of my clothes fit and I couldn't afford a new wardrobe, let alone random pieces. My kids are young and I want to be around for them for a long time. Down 43 lbs since the end of September and within 5 of maintenance!

Great job!!
  • My original moment last year was when I weighed myself after Christmas and realised I'd gotten to my heaviest point. I then shed about 20lbs

I changed jobs after that and went from a really active job to a desk job. This time it happened when I weighed myself and found I had gained 2 stone in 6 months and was even heavier than my previous peak!
  • bryandynaxus3
    bryandynaxus3 Posts: 51 Member
    Curls for the girls ;) haha all my friends are hot and have sexy girlfriends. Meanwhile I'm the only fat guy in my group of friends and have been single for like 3 years.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Sick of being skinny fat. Plan on dropping a few more pounds and toning up. :D
  • dougl004
    LoL......please explain skinny fat??!!
  • polkadont
    polkadont Posts: 12 Member
    Two words: KARATE BODY ;)
  • dougl004
    I hope everyone has a great week with wonderful results.
  • julesderamos
    julesderamos Posts: 36 Member
    I knew I was overweight. I decided it was time to lose weight after I gave birth because I want to be there for a long time for my kids and mainly for myself to watch them grow. I was astonished to find out the info about my weight when I went for a checkup at the doctor's office (I knew I was overweight but I didn't think it was that much). So I changed my way of thinking and said to myself that everyone has the same thing to start with... 24Hrs in a day. Instead of saying I didn't have the time to do exercise, I made time
    For it and since then it
    Comes naturally. I thrive for those moments. I am still far from the goal I set myself
    To but I know I'll reach it, one tiny step at a time :-)
  • taraphannaford
    taraphannaford Posts: 49 Member
    It's crazy because I've had many moments that should have been wake up calls. The time when my Dad told me just how horrible it would be on my small frame of I got pregnant at the size that I was and gained even more weight (I was pregnant at the time and didn't know it.) Or when I had get my gallbladder removed and the doctor said a contributing factor was a high fat diet and that I really needed to change my lifestyle. But, it finally happened when I stepped on the scale and saw that I had gained weight WHILE BREASTFEEDING! Breastfeeding had helped me lose most of the baby weight and the fact that I was eating so badly that I was actually gaining while breastfeeding was astonishing to me! I said "that's it!" I started two weeks ago and have lost 7lbs so far! About 50 more to go!
  • taraphannaford
    taraphannaford Posts: 49 Member
    Also when I went into Forever 21 to treat myself to a new piece of clothing, I walked out empty handed and so embarrassed. My husband was with me and he was like, what?!? Why aren't you getting anything?! I was so humiliated.
  • GlamourVintage
    GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member
    I realize I had to lose weight because I was unable to sit/fit in the classroom seat, (the chair was attached to a table style). I had to ask the teacher for his chair that he wasn't using. I felt so embarrassed.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    So many reasons... One of the most heart breaking was waiting in line for a ride at an amusement park for two hours only to be turned away because the safety harness thingy would not engage properly.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Walked up 5 flights of stairs with my daughter at her dorm and started having strange pains in my shoulder along with huffing and puffing. We were carrying large baskets and boxes and made several trips up and down. But I knew something was wrong when this pain wouldn't go away. Went to emergency room later that night on my doctor's advice. Thankfully the tests showed no heart problem but it sure scared me.

A few years later, I found MFP and got serious about my health. Turning 50 was a real eye opener. I also was very active and thin most of my life. Had my 3rd child at 31 and weighed 155...my heaviest to that point. But after that, I just kept gaining a few pounds a year. You can't keep doing that and expect your health not to deteriorate--I felt and saw it happening in my 40s. Now I'm almost 54 and feeling so much better, wearing size 8/10 clothes again. And I climbed 50+ floors tonight on the Power Climber at the gym tonight, too :)
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    I went to the doctors office after my second year in college and the scale said I had gained over 20 pounds. I walked into the waiting room and told my mom and best friend that I thought the doctors scale was wrong and they just looked at me like 'uh no...'

That summer I lost 17 pounds but then I gained it back :/