High fat or high carb

So I have been experimenting with 40/30/30 through my macros. Started with 40 carbs, which was fine but felt I needed to lower it due to the low carb hype. Moved to 40 fats, but have eating between 40-50. For some reason I am tempted to do low fat or high fat and couldn't keep it down to 40. I was going to try 40 proteins then determine which works best for me, but I simply don't think I can reach 40 proteins through foods I eat. I get close to 30 with lean protein for dinner and a bar a some point during the day.

So, I am wondering if my carbs or proteins have to make up a larger portion of my diet, which should I put at 40%? I am 182 pounds and seeking to loose weight. I am doing 8-10 miles walking/jogging per week and a little lifting with a 40 pound dumbbell set.

Replies

• IFBBRich
    IFBBRich Posts: 99 Member
    It is really hard to say every ones body responds differently. Personally I use 40/40/20 when cutting for a show. Protein, Carbs, Fats. I need the carbs for energy to get through my workouts. I would definitely not put 40% of cals/day from fats.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    I use a 20/50/30 ratio of protein/carbs/fats. Those are general guidelines though and I frequently deviate up to 5%. I know that many of the Kenyan runners have a diet that is only 10% protein and it is hard to make an argument that their performance suffers as a result. For what it's worth, here is an article on the proper balance.
    http://livestrong.com/article/300129-the-best-ratio-of-carbs-protein-fat/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Percentages are a somewhat weird way to measure, as total calories make such a difference. For example, the Kenyan runners obviously do tons of cardio, so 10% protein for them is nothing like 10% protein for a more sedentary person on a calorie-restricted diet.

I've gone from about 33.3% of each to 40-30-30 (40% carbs) when working out more, to 50-25-25 (which I'm trying now, when at a higher goal and exercising a lot still, as anything more than 25% protein gives me a gram number that is way more than I need and I don't like eating more than 50-55 grams of fat). As others have said, the trick is to just experiment and find what works best for you.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Funny you guys mention Kenyans. My husband is one of them but not a runner. He's the odd child.
    Anyway, thanks for your input. I decided to try 35/35/30 c/f/p to try to lower my fats a little.
    I will try to keep my proteins up to help preserve muscles for now but will probably settle on 45/30/25 which is doable long term if I really watch my carbs and fats and am intentional about eating proteins with each meal.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    i am doing a ketogenic diet at the moment, and aim for macros of 80f/15p/5c and have been hitting pretty close to that (my ratios on the pie chart here look a bit off becaise it doesn't calculate net carbs).

entering week three right now, and feel fabulous. my body responds well to low carb. i have great energy again (was tired the past couple weeks while adapting), sleeping well, and though i haven't weighed since i began, my clothes are fitting much more loosely.
  • LuckyMe2017
    i am doing a ketogenic diet at the moment, and aim for macros of 80f/15p/5c and have been hitting pretty close to that (my ratios on the pie chart here look a bit off becaise it doesn't calculate net carbs).

entering week three right now, and feel fabulous. my body responds well to low carb. i have great energy again (was tired the past couple weeks while adapting), sleeping well, and though i haven't weighed since i began, my clothes are fitting much more loosely.

I was reading that your body needs fat to burn fat, so I was okay with trying out 40% fat, but I would have to drop some weight before I consider something drastic like 80 fat.
    Although, thanks for sharing.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    MidwaysT wrote: »

I was reading that your body needs fat to burn fat, so I was okay with trying out 40% fat, but I would have to drop some weight before I consider something drastic like 80 fat.

i finally got a chance to weigh - have lost over 10 lbs in 3 weeks (was eating pretty low carb paleo before this). (: some is likely water weight, but not all.

low carb high fat may not be for everyone, but i feel fantastic!
  • LuckyMe2017
    Congrats and thanks for sharing.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    I'm secretly hoping that someone comes out with a "High Fat/High Carb" diet. Cause I seriously could go to town on that one.

Sorry protein, I'm just not that in to you. If only it weren't so abundantly clear that I need you. ~sigh~
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member

i finally got a chance to weigh - have lost over 10 lbs in 3 weeks (was eating pretty low carb paleo before this). (: some is likely water weight, but not all.

low carb high fat may not be for everyone, but i feel fantastic!

I'm down 6lbs in 2ish weeks - felt like crap for the first week but feeling fab now! My skin has cleared up already, usually at this time of month I develop big cystic spots on my jaw and chin, but no sign of them now. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

• LuckyMe2017
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I'm secretly hoping that someone comes out with a "High Fat/High Carb" diet. Cause I seriously could go to town on that one.

Sorry protein, I'm just not that in to you. If only it weren't so abundantly clear that I need you. ~sigh~

My sentiments. Unfortunately I don't know if I buy CICO. I think what we put into our bodies/proportions matter, especially if one wants to lose weight efficiently.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member

My sentiments. Unfortunately I don't know if I buy CICO. I think what we put into our bodies/proportions matter, especially if one wants to lose weight efficiently.

How is that not CICO.

Calorie reduction is what causes weight loss.
    Your comfort will be the number one reason to pay attention to macros (barring medical conditions, of course)
    Keeping protein up will benefit certain body composition goals

If you fight the Law of Thermodynamics, the Law will Win. It was just too many syllables to fit in the song, that's all.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Confused about these last comments. Anyway, I know that weight loss comes from having a calorie deficit. However, I think that the proportion of nutrients we eat plays a role in how efficiently the weight loss occurs.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Confused about these last comments. Anyway, I know that weight loss comes from having a calorie deficit. However, I think that the proportion of nutrients we eat plays a role in how efficiently the weight loss occurs.

I don't know what that second sentence means. What do you mean by "efficiently"?
  • LuckyMe2017
    If one has a balance of macros that the body "likes", the body will burn fat more optimally.
    I think eventually the body will adapt to whatever, but maybe there is a sweet spot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2015
    So I have been experimenting with 40/30/30 through my macros. Started with 40 carbs, which was fine but felt I needed to lower it due to the low carb hype. Moved to 40 fats, but have eating between 40-50. For some reason I am tempted to do low fat or high fat and couldn't keep it down to 40. I was going to try 40 proteins then determine which works best for me, but I simply don't think I can reach 40 proteins through foods I eat. I get close to 30 with lean protein for dinner and a bar a some point during the day.

So, I am wondering if my carbs or proteins have to make up a larger portion of my diet, which should I put at 40%? I am 182 pounds and seeking to loose weight. I am doing 8-10 miles walking/jogging per week and a little lifting with a 40 pound dumbbell set.

Do what you will, but outside of a medical condition, "low carb" is pretty much hype...you can eat carbs and lose weight. Also, 40% carbs in a calorie restricted diet is usually a pretty moderate carbohydrate intake...40/30/30 is known as "the zone" or "zone dieting". and it's a fairly common ratio in a calorie restriction.

When I'm in a cut I eat around 225 grams of carbs per day and cut just fine...personally speaking, the "low carb hype" as you say is annoying...there are lots of carbohydrates that are loaded with kick *kitten* nutrition. It's a bunch of fear mongering silliness.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    The best macros are the macros you can sustain. If I were you I would see how much protein I can comfortably eat every day (trial and error) and set that, eat for a few days at the highest protein you can comfortably handle and see where your carbs and fat fall naturally on most days and set that.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

More than 90 pounds gone with an average of 40-60 grams of protein a day (10-15%). Facts speak louder than beliefs.