Trader Joe's

iowaoly
iowaoly Posts: 35 Member
I am going to visit my son and he lives in an area that has a Trader Joe's. Any favorite things you like to buy there that help you on your weight loss journey? I get overwhelmed when I am in them and don't know where to begin.

Replies

• beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    I really like Trader Joe's generic brand products because they're usually cheaper than some of the other name-brand things you can find at those health food stores. I remember I bought some generic 100-calorie rice krispie bars there that were pretty large and tasted really good.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited March 2015
    cowboy bark.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    That frozen Mac & Cheeze. It's a calorie bomb, but so damn good.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Browse their online food catalog before you go, that way you'll have a better idea of what you want to buy. I love TJs.
  • smiatje
    smiatje Posts: 13 Member
    Love love love their jalapeno cheddar dip, I can eat a truck full of raw veggies with just an itty bitty tub of it!
  • hhadley06
    hhadley06 Posts: 8 Member
    I really love their Thai lime cashews! They're tangy and a bit spicy, so they're nice to eat when I'm craving something to munch on. Plus cashews are a great healthy snack!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    We now have a Trader Joe's here too, but I haven't been able to get near it yet. It's so crowded. I've given up...maybe in year or two when the novelty wears off.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Top favorites
    1.) Wine.
    2.) Wine.
    3.) Wine
    4.) Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
    5.) Wine
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Generally the store has a lot of delicious quick/ fully cooked foods (like premade salads and frozen tamales and orange chicken) and good selection of bread and wine. And insane selection of chocolates and sweets. I don't get produce or meat (except the cured meats and suasages that are next to the cheese) there bc those things are higher priced than at other stores.

i have no verification for this but im convinced their bread had less pervatives than nornal bc they turn moldy within a week of purchase if left ouside the frig.

They have a big cheese section with good prices for gourmet tasting cheese. My favorites are the Bacon cheddar, English truffle cheddar, and a cheese that has roasted peppers in it, can't remember the name but it's the one that looks red.

The eggplant hummus is my favorite hummus in the world and I have not seen it sold anywhere else. It is also lower cal than normal hummus which is a nice bonus.

Lots of greek yogurt flavors. My favorite is full fat honey greek yogurt for a treat. Tastes like custard.

If you like kale chips, the cashew butter one is awesome. Better than potato chips imo.

Best to go up and down the frozen and treat sections to see what catches your eye. Favorites for me are: dark chocolate pretzel slims, frozen macarons, frozen bon bons, salted caramel gelato, sea salt caramels, firecracker dark chocolate bar, flavored nuts, mango gummies, biscotti. Now I want to go on a road trip with 10 friends so I can get all of this....
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Their Brioche buns were really super good. I had made a crockpot roast beef with aus jus and these were just the thing to put the meat into. Delish! There is just so much good stuff there, you can't even name them all. :D
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Their dark chocolate, cream cheese, wine...
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    We now have a Trader Joe's here too, but I haven't been able to get near it yet. It's so crowded. I've given up...maybe in year or two when the novelty wears off.

Ours is always really really busy too. I went there today at 8am and it was so much better. ...there were still several people with me waiting until 8am opening, but maybe 20 instead of cram packed over 100 people. :smiley: I could actually look at stuff lol.

To the OP: I love the frozen fruits and fish along with soooooooo much other stuff. Their sprouted fiber bread is awesome.

Eta: my latest favorite find are the low carb whole wheat tortillas. They are the smaller size but only 45 calories. I'm not low carb but can't beat the calories, taste, 7g fiber, 4G protein per tortilla
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    All the things I love there...dark chocolate peanut butter cups, frozen Chinese pork buns, salt & vinegar potato chips, frozen French macarons...are probably to be used sparingly in a calorie restriction situation! My favorite low cal things they have are coffee and hair conditioner. Seriously, you can't go wrong with ANY of their coffees.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I like some of their frozen stuff.

Chicken and cilantro wontons
    Stacked eggplant parmesan (not the battered one)
    Cheese blintzes
    The 30% hazelnut chocolate bar with whole nuts that's usually up by the counter. I love crunching on large pieces of roasted nuts in chocolate, especially hazelnut or almond, and this has a ton.

The Thai dishes are decent, not great. Same with the Chinese ones. I'd rather make my own, honestly.

I avoid their frozen veg - so far it's been harvested older than the stuff I get at whole foods, which means tougher.

I also avoid their frozen pizza. The ones I've tried have been completely bland.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Top favorites
    1.) Wine.
    2.) Wine.
    3.) Wine
    5.) Wine
    I wish we could buy wine in grocery stores here.

Always such a highlight when I am on vacation in the states! "OMG WINE FOR $5 AND 48390483902 BEERS FOR $10!!!"
  • JoRocka
    jkwolly wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Top favorites
    1.) Wine.
    2.) Wine.
    3.) Wine
    5.) Wine
    I wish we could buy wine in grocery stores here.

Always such a highlight when I am on vacation in the states! "OMG WINE FOR $5 AND 48390483902 BEERS FOR $10!!!"

yeppers.
    Not all the stores here in NJ have them- they have weird liqour laws. BUt never the less- Trader Joes (some) carry it- it's a beautiful feeling walking out for like 25 bucks with 5 or 6 bottles of wine.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member

Ours is always really really busy too. I went there today at 8am and it was so much better. ...there were still several people with me waiting until 8am opening, but maybe 20 instead of cram packed over 100 people. :smiley: I could actually look at stuff lol.

I have a pathological aversion to mobs and to waiting in line for anything. I miss out on plenty because I refuse to wait more than 10 minutes. But I actually prepared myself to wait to get in to Trader's when it opened and to tolerate the crowd, but I was foiled at the parking lot. Completely inadequate number of spaces and super aggressive drivers trying to get into those few. I haven't been back. But clearly, they don't need my business.
  • JoRocka

I have a pathological aversion to mobs and to waiting in line for anything. I miss out on plenty because I refuse to wait more than 10 minutes. But I actually prepared myself to wait to get in to Trader's when it opened and to tolerate the crowd, but I was foiled at the parking lot. Completely inadequate number of spaces and super aggressive drivers trying to get into those few. I haven't been back. But clearly, they don't need my business.

Seriously?
    I mean I like Traders Joes- but it's not THAT good.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    I'm a big fan of their frozen food, if you're on vacation maybe that's not an option. They have frozen fava beans, can't find those anywhere else.

I also like the snack foods - crunchy curls - tastes just like carbs & salt mmm. Inner Peas snack. Flaky crackers. Stuff like that.

Pasta & lentils are fairly cheap but most of that is available in any store. They do have a good variety of gluten free pasta if you eat gluten free. Nuts & dried fruit are fairly cheap.

Produce is really hit or miss. Mostly miss in my store. Cookie butter is incredibly delicious but not so great if you're counting calories