Is it normal to sweat this much while lifting?? (Sorry, TMI!)

kmca1803
kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
Hi all!
I've just started lifting again after having a very long break from it. (I gained an unhealthy amount of body fat during that time off too!) :(

I'm enjoying the structure of the SL program, and as I'm only in my first few weeks, I can only lift 25kg but I'm striving for better all the time! I also do HIIT training a few times a week, and a bit of cardio (walking or riding) as I find it therapeutic and it helps me a bit with the DOMS.

My TMI question is, is it normal to sweat heaps while lifting? I'm used to sweating a lot after HIIT or cardio, but when I do my strength training session I warm up a bit then just get on with the program. However, I'm just as sweaty at the end of it as I am when I do my other sessions!

I guess I'm having trouble reconciling a lifting session with the same cardio load as a HIIT session. Anyone have any explanations or similar experiences, or is it just me? :#

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    For me, yes. I sweat a lot. Hell, I sweat when I get nervous, anxious, excited, stressed and sweat buckets when I'm doing something physically taxing, like lifting. It's a lot of energy you're exerting there!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i don't think i'ts just you. it varies a little for me by how hydrated i am, and also by how hard i'm working that day. but i certainly have had a lot of times where i had to lean on the bar and wipe my face on the edge of my shirt after a set.

and i don't know anything about the hard cardio/calorie numbers, but i bike a lot and lifting is way more of a cardio load while it lasts, for me. maybe i'm just a lazy cyclist :-) i'll tell you this though, because i thought it was interesting at the time. i've been biking for years, but i've always had pretty much the same pulse rate. but last summer after i'd been lifting for a couple of months, i got into tracking that again for a while, and it had dropped dramatically - like, by 10 beats per minute or more. i'm not 100% sure that it was the lifting as other things had changed too at around that time. but i don't think lifting heavy can be bad for your cv system.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Indeed. I sweat during lifting sessions, in particular when doing heavy squats or deadlifts. I don't notice it as much during things like bench or OHP.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. Yesterday I was a ball of sweat when other times I could have gotten my makeup done before and looked fine.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    If I go start into lifting, I sweat a bit on deadlifts and squats but not a ton. If I do 10 mins of cardio to warm up then I continue to sweat a lot while I lift.
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Same here. Mostly sweat with squats and deadlifts. And I'm out of breath. It's hard work lifting heavy stuff :smile:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    I sweat so much. It's ridiculous. I turn the big industrial fan on and have it blow in my face to keep the sweating down.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    I sweat on the ohp and deadlift days too. This is where it is the most taxing, I think.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    I sweat a lot. I'm always hugely pitted out within minutes of starting which is super attractive.
  • threnjen
    OK... I have another TMI question. Can I just piggyback it here instead of starting a new thread? Because there is no way I am going to start a topic with a title like this...

I notice when I am lifting (and idk about cardio because no mirrors there), my ladies are constantly "at attention" :hushed: This isn't a chronic problem otherwise that I know of, like I don't see this happening when I am at home in my pajamas and stuff. But when I am lifting I have two headlights like, all the time.
    Luckily my boobs are super small now so they aren't out in your face but.... :astonished:

Does this happen to anyone else? D:
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited April 2015
    threnjen - It happens to me. My hubby says it's because of blood circulation when working out. I just wear padded sports bras. :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    @threnjen : yep. I wear a padded bra as well.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Never even noticed but I tend to worry about whether shirt is showing cleavage or not as my shirts I bought almost 50 lbs ago show more now from being too big and that makes me a little self conscious.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    I wear a sports bra and workout top so I don't notice if my ladies are trying to say hi. But as @dcresider suggests, it could be circulation working at its best. A good sign I say!
  • threnjen
    I wish my ladies got less of it then because I have terrible circulation and have chronically numb fingers and toes (especially when it's cold) :P
    I don't have a padded sports bra so I guess I just have to suck it up. At least I am president of the Itty Bitty Titty Committee now and they won't be poking anyone's eye out =/
  • threnjen
    I wish my ladies got less of it then because I have terrible circulation and have chronically numb fingers and toes (especially when it's cold) :P
    I don't have a padded sports bra so I guess I just have to suck it up. At least I am president of the Itty Bitty Titty Committee now and they won't be poking anyone's eye out =/
  • threnjen