Would you or do you have a camera for your house?

Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
Would you have one for your home or do you already have one? Went out of town this weekend leaving 18yo stepson at home. He's been caught with people in the house before. Plus he was watching the dogs so I figured I would just keep an eye on things and if everything went well I would remove the camera later. Boy we weren't out of the house 2 hours before he proceeded to break every single rule we put in place, including passing out on the couch while his friends were awake and able to roam the house. So we let it go for a bit, Saturday afternoon he looks up and see's it, it was Mastercard.........priceless, all of his friends were there as well. Needless to say I think I'll keep the camera up for a while, I actually never did anything like this to my parents....but I am sure it's pretty typical. I think it would be useful if anyone breaks in as well, and keeping and eye on our dogs. Anybody else got any good camera stories?

Replies

• AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    We have a canary home security system.. It sends notifications to your phone when it detects activity when it knows you're not home. Or, you can watch live video. I highly recommend.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    so what is the excuse for stepson breaking the rules? Are they unreasonable rules or are is he someone that should have never been trusted to begin with?

We have motion detection monitoring, but no, I do not need nor want a camera.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    I'll need to know his punishment before I determine if cameras are a good idea for you or not.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    yes, I have cameras everywhere, try and rob me.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Lol, this is a funny story! I would have one to identify people breaking into the house, but as far as your stepson is concerned, just make him stay somewhere else when you guys are out of town.
  • Grimmerick
    edited March 2015
    _John_ wrote: »
    so what is the excuse for stepson breaking the rules? Are they unreasonable rules or are is he someone that should have never been trusted to begin with?

Rules were, nobody over(this is from a previous incident), he could have his girlfriend over (they are both 18) but she couldn't stay the night. He could go where he wanted just make sure he takes care of the dogs. And he knew this was a test weekend and if he did well he would gain more freedoms as far as having people over. Took him less than 3 hours to break most of those rules and some other rules that were obvious i.e. don't drink our liquor. He is not a horrible kid, typical teenage crap, it's like he has no common sense, even without camera they left a bunch of clues. He has only lived with us for two years, he came from a tough situation, and his dad fought hard to get him up here.

• Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    I have a camera for my security system, I can "peek" in at any time.
  • _John_
    ooo...18 year old with permission to have his girlfriend over? screw the camera. Do you have a blacklight?
  • 530roman

Rules were, nobody over(this is from a previous incident), he could have his girlfriend over (they are both 18) but she couldn't stay the night. He could go where he wanted just make sure he takes care of the dogs. And he knew this was a test weekend and if he did well he would gain more freedoms as far as having people over. Took him less than 3 hours to break most of those rules and some other rules that were obvious i.e. don't drink our liquor. He is not a horrible kid, typical teenage crap, it's like he has no common sense, even without camera they left a bunch of clues. He has only lived with us for two years, he came from a tough situation, and his dad fought hard to get him up here.

In the original post, you said two hours. Now you're saying 3 hours. This thread has lost all credibility.
  • Grimmerick
    edited March 2015
    530roman wrote: »

In the original post, you said two hours. Now you're saying 3 hours. This thread has lost all credibility.
    I say that because trip took us a while and we had to hook up to wifi so definitely 3 hours but pretty positive he was doing crap by two hours. Geez you think I'm making this up nice little nitpick there, try to stay focused on the point ok.
  • 530roman

I say that because trip took us a while and we had to hook up to wifi so definitely 3 hours but pretty positive he was doing crap by two hours. Geez you think I'm making this up nice little nitpick there, try to stay focused on the point ok.

You don't even look old enough to have an 18 year old! Your story is just falling apart. That fake mustache doesn't make you look older! You don't look a day over 28.
  • _John_

You don't even look old enough to have an 18 year old! Your story is just falling apart. That fake mustache doesn't make you look older! You don't look a day over 28.

stepson...reading comprehension fail...
  • Grimmerick
    edited March 2015
    I'm 32 and my husband is 44 but thanks for the compliment......no seriously thanks for that you made my day ;), and I did say stepson. Also there is no reason for me to get on here and lie I know some people do but you are just gonna have to trust that this lame crap really did happen if I made it up it would have been waaaaay more interesting, gunfights, explosions, stuff like that. I just wanted to hear if anyone else had stories about their own experiences. Let's try to keep it fun!
  • 530roman
    How did I miss that!? Back to the drawing board.
  • I would in your case, personally. We have a camera up at our second house. The burglar alarm kept going off, drawing the police to our house - but when they showed up, there was no intruder to be found. Growing increasingly frustrated and embarrassed, we caught the "burglar" on tape one night. Turns out our front door's hinges were shot, and whenever there was an enormous gust of wind it would somehow rip the front door open and set off the alarm. We fixed the door, no more false alarms. But it made us sufficiently paranoid so we now keep the camera up there regardless. Thankfully, the police were very understanding and haven't considered us 'crying wolves' just yet ;)
  • Grimmerick
    How did I miss that!? Back to the drawing board.

That's ok you're my fave person in this thread for that wonderful compliment. ;)

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I thought this was going to be a different than what is in the OP.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    ooo...18 year old with permission to have his girlfriend over? screw the camera. Do you have a blacklight?

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Grimmerick
    edited March 2015

Exactly what I was thinking.

lol, we thought if we made some concessions he might follow the few rules we put in place, shoulda known better, he's not the only one that learned a lesson this weekend.

• kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited March 2015
    One time I watched our cameras when my grandma was house sitting while we were out if town. My grandma's a klepto so had to make sure she didn't steal anything. Nope, instead she had two different men come over, and once it was in my bed! Nasty woman is never allowed to house sit again.