Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories

124»

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    edited March 2015
    Exaggeration on your part. People leave things in the fridge to reheat and eat for the whole week all the time. Some cook all day Sunday so they have meals cooked and ready to go during the week. They've probably done it for years now. I make egg muffins on Sunday to have as my breakfast I'm pretty sure I'm still alive to tell the tale. Makes life simpler. So thinking back to other things you have written about makes me happy to have ignore it in the first place.

herrspoons wrote: »
    So, just to be clear, you need to cook it and then chill it for 12 hours before then reheating it again? A practice that isn't recommended because of the possibility of bacterial contamination.

And for this you get a 50%... oh wait, hang on: they've only shown a 10-12% reduction, which may or may not be significant, in a cup of rice which is... err... about 200 calories.

So you save 20 calories at the risk of botulism. Awesome.

I mean, WHAT THE ACTUAL F**K?

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Josalinn wrote: »
    jddnw wrote: »
    A cup of cooked rice has a whopping 200 calories. That means if you if eat a cup at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you'll have consumed 600 calories. And this is a huge problem? For comparison, a single cinnabon has 880 calories.
    Ahh... so clearly rice is the problem with the western diet. Right.
    Vailara wrote: »
    It would be simpler to just eat a bit less rice.
    BFDeal wrote: »
    dramatically cuts the calories
    Rice is like 200 calories a serving right? So 20 calories less? Call me when these so called scientists halve them at least. Lame.

Just to point out, this study is going on in Sri Lanka and the focus of the study is for countries that eat rice a lot more than westerners do. To say "just eat less rice" is probably a difficult concept for them because rice is such an integral part of their culture.

Humans have eaten rice for ages without getting fat as a result. The contemporary approach to "hack" it so we can continue to eat unlimited amounts but not absorb the calories seems to me kind of a perverted approach--not all that different than creating fat free potato chips.

On the whole, I think the answer is to eat a reasonable amount of the foods you choose to eat based on your activity level (presumably one issue here is that people in rice-based cultures are less active than they used to be and probably eating a lot more other stuff than they used to, not that rice is a problem). And eat things that are nutritious within your overall diet. Some things that are nutritious also happen to be low cal or foods that we don't assess all the calories from (higher in fiber or whatnot, veggies are a good example), and if cooking rice a way you like it happens to make it a little lower in calories, that's a bonus, but I'm not going out of my way to try to doctor my food to make the calories in it unavailable to me so I can eat bigger quantities. I'm just going to eat quantities that make sense given my calorie needs.
    Isn't this what all technology does?

People used to have to walk all the way across a continent, and now we "hack" it by just flying. It's perverted.

Or it's just loaded language. ;)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    You guys are totally missing the best way to use up leftover rice...

Arancini. Fried rice balls stuffed with cheese and other delights, dipped in marinara.

ARANCINI-2-SMALL.jpg

I bet you could make these even better...

...if you omitted the rice entirely.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

Arancini. Fried rice balls stuffed with cheese and other delights, dipped in marinara.

ARANCINI-2-SMALL.jpg

See, my problem is that I hardly ever have left over rice. :lol:

No problem!

(See my suggestion one post prior^.)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    This derpiness made the rounds on FB, and now it's here. Figures.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    A cup of cooked rice has a whopping 200 calories. That means if you if eat a cup at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you'll have consumed 600 calories. And this is a huge problem? For comparison, a single cinnabon has 880 calories.
    Rice is like 200 calories a serving right? So 20 calories less? Call me when these so called scientists halve them at least. Lame.

Just to point out, this study is going on in Sri Lanka and the focus of the study is for countries that eat rice a lot more than westerners do. To say "just eat less rice" is probably a difficult concept for them because rice is such an integral part of their culture.

Humans have eaten rice for ages without getting fat as a result. The contemporary approach to "hack" it so we can continue to eat unlimited amounts but not absorb the calories seems to me kind of a perverted approach--not all that different than creating fat free potato chips.

On the whole, I think the answer is to eat a reasonable amount of the foods you choose to eat based on your activity level (presumably one issue here is that people in rice-based cultures are less active than they used to be and probably eating a lot more other stuff than they used to, not that rice is a problem). And eat things that are nutritious within your overall diet. Some things that are nutritious also happen to be low cal or foods that we don't assess all the calories from (higher in fiber or whatnot, veggies are a good example), and if cooking rice a way you like it happens to make it a little lower in calories, that's a bonus, but I'm not going out of my way to try to doctor my food to make the calories in it unavailable to me so I can eat bigger quantities. I'm just going to eat quantities that make sense given my calorie needs.

Cosigned.

I honestly think that a significant segment of Joe Public will take this information as a sign that it's okay to eat more rice, and the attempt to use this as a way to "combat the obesity epidemic" will backfire.

As I've said before see:diet soda.
    I bet you're right, that would happen. Derpers gonna derp. But I wouldn't want to give up calorie free Dr Pepper just because Joe Public is a moron.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Read it again. I ignored your "other" advice and chose to comment on this ONE.

tmauck4472 wrote: »
    Exaggeration on your part. People leave things in the fridge to reheat and eat for the whole week all the time. Some cook all day Sunday so they have meals cooked and ready to go during the week. They've probably done it for years now. I make egg muffins on Sunday to have as my breakfast I'm pretty sure I'm still alive to tell the tale. Makes life simpler. So thinking back to other things you have written about makes me happy to have ignore it in the first place.

So, just to be clear, you need to cook it and then chill it for 12 hours before then reheating it again? A practice that isn't recommended because of the possibility of bacterial contamination.

And for this you get a 50%... oh wait, hang on: they've only shown a 10-12% reduction, which may or may not be significant, in a cup of rice which is... err... about 200 calories.

So you save 20 calories at the risk of botulism. Awesome.

I mean, WHAT THE ACTUAL F**K?

Ignoring what I'm writing by commenting on it.

Sweet.

• dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

ARANCINI-2-SMALL.jpg

See, my problem is that I hardly ever have left over rice. :lol:

No problem!

(See my suggestion one post prior^.)

Hot damn! Fried cheese balls! You sir, are quite the genius. :wink:

I've only ever had fresh fried cheese once, and it was amazing. Unlike most crispy, tube shaped mozzarella sticks, it was flat and the breading was crispy, but not too crispy. I could probably make it on my own time but I'm super lazy.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

Cosigned.

I honestly think that a significant segment of Joe Public will take this information as a sign that it's okay to eat more rice, and the attempt to use this as a way to "combat the obesity epidemic" will backfire.

As I've said before see:diet soda.
    I bet you're right, that would happen. Derpers gonna derp. But I wouldn't want to give up calorie free Dr Pepper just because Joe Public is a moron.

Damn you. Now I want Diet Dr. Pepper.

And I agree. The method could be a somewhat? useful???? tool for the conscientious, I guess, just like diet soda.

But the derpers will abuse the information.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I have already discovered how to reduce rice calories by 25%….

just eat 25% less rice…

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited March 2015

We reheat rice (different rices) all the time and it has always been fine, also the TIME magazine article explains this and it is an important bit of info to share, thanks Sabine!
    http://time.com/3754097/rice-calories-starch/

Please suggest a substitute for using Coconut Oil, have allergies to coconut anything and everything.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I have already discovered how to reduce rice calories by 25%….

just eat 25% less rice…

Cant.

Stop.

Rice.