How often do you guys weigh/measure?

Replies

• dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    Every morning.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    I've reached the point where I know what works for me and what doesn't, generally speaking. I weigh myself once a month, at most (haven't really fluctuated much in about 6 months). Even at my most frequent, I couldn't weigh myself more than once a week or so without feeling like I was getting absolutely neurotic about my weight - it didn't mesh with what my priorities and fitness goals are.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Weighing yourself every day will drive you insane. With that being said, I weigh myself every 2 to 4 days, depending on my mood, and how I feel/look that morning. Scales can be horribly inaccurate, so the only way to be sure is to have enough plots on the graph to have a noticeable trend one way or another...

Prepare for fluctuations though. I went from 132 one day, to 137 two days later. Usually I fluctuate -2/+2 pounds per day, max though...
  • Suzieqgirl
    Suzieqgirl Posts: 39 Member
    I have started weight in and measuring every Monday morning and logging it on this website. I do weigh first thing every morning, just to see how I am doing. Weighing everyday keeps me on tract and that reassures me, that I am going in the right direction. I can not wait to get into some jeans hanging in my closet, that I used to wear.
  • Tracejh
    Tracejh Posts: 144 Member
    My official weigh in day is a Tuesday morning but if I pass the scales ill hop on just to see, but I only record it once a week.
  • nlmillervt
    nlmillervt Posts: 242 Member
    I weigh daily so I can see trends, but the weekend weight and measurements are the ones that "matter" to me. I just like knowing whether the Saturday scale number is representative of the week, or just Friday night's dinner. :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Everyday but thinking about changing things up and going back to once a week. I'm also making other changes in my daily life so this will help me
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    I only weigh on the days I meet with my trainer, so typically twice a week. We do measurements every other month.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Weighing yourself every day will drive you insane. With that being said, I weigh myself every 2 to 4 days, depending on my mood, and how I feel/look that morning. Scales can be horribly inaccurate, so the only way to be sure is to have enough plots on the graph to have a noticeable trend one way or another...

Prepare for fluctuations though. I went from 132 one day, to 137 two days later. Usually I fluctuate -2/+2 pounds per day, max though...

I've been weighing every day for more than a year. I don't seem to be less sane than when I started...

It's just one more data point for my trend. My summary page has the trend line rounded to the nearest pound, and it's nice to see that it hasn't fluctuated more than +/- 1lb since mid December.
  • Hausisse1
    Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
    chouflour wrote: »

I've been weighing every day for more than a year. I don't seem to be less sane than when I started...

It's just one more data point for my trend. My summary page has the trend line rounded to the nearest pound, and it's nice to see that it hasn't fluctuated more than +/- 1lb since mid December.

Yeah, everybody has their individual preference. Some people just obsess over the fact that the number can change from a day-to-day basis, despite understanding that it depends on a lot of things, time of the month or sodium intake etc... and other people are more relaxed about it
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Hausisse1 wrote: »

Yeah, everybody has their individual preference. Some people just obsess over the fact that the number can change from a day-to-day basis, despite understanding that it depends on a lot of things, time of the month or sodium intake etc... and other people are more relaxed about it

Totally. I just figure that I'm as likely to have a 3lb bounce on weigh-in day as I am on any other day. If I weigh every day, I -know- it's a bounce, and not that I've been sleep-eating reeces pieces.
  • Hausisse1
    Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
    Hausisse1 wrote: »

Totally. I just figure that I'm as likely to have a 3lb bounce on weigh-in day as I am on any other day. If I weigh every day, I -know- it's a bounce, and not that I've been sleep-eating reeces pieces.

Hahahahaha, "sleep-eating reeces pieces". :p True! I'm glad some of us have a more relaxed attitude towards it. :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I weigh once a week on Friday mornings when I first get up.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

I have weighed daily for almost four years now. Reasonably certain I'm not insane yet. The "trick" is not to be emotionally invested in the number on the scale. It's just data. Helpful, meaningful data in the big picture, but still just data. And it's just as easy to plot a line of best fit on a series of daily points than it is weekly or monthly points.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    When I had a lot of weight to lose I would weigh every few days, but when it started to come down to 10-20 pounds I decided to pick one day a week & weigh in during the morning.

Now that I'm in maintenance I weigh in once a week or every few weeks to see how I am doing.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Hardly ever as far as weighing goes but I do measure every so often.
  • robw235
    robw235 Posts: 25 Member
    I have been weighing myself each morning right after I get out of bed, but not sure how long I'll continue to do that. I did find myself getting discouraged early on when it gave me a number that didn't reflect how good I'd been the day before, but now know that it fluctuates. I've worked hard to take the weight off, and once I hit my goal weight, I want to make sure I maintain it, so I know I'll keep tabs at least once a week.
  • Nezz123
    Nezz123 Posts: 35 Member
    That's a good question! I never do, but I would if I could find a well-balanced scale! Most bathroom scales are way off!
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Daily, and I record new lows. It can get frustrating when I've gained a pound in spite of holding to caloric intake, however these fluctuations are normal given body chemistry, hours slept, time of your last meal, water intake, etc. However, in these cases I find it helpful to look back 30 days and confirm the progress made.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I step on the scale every morning as I'm kind of paranoid about losing more weight. I think I swooshed last nigt though as I'm half a kg below 60kg now. That really wasn't part of the plan *hmpf* I also step on the scale before and after I go running as it's extremely hot here already and I don't want to end up in the water loss range where things get dangerous. At the moment I'm still just below 1%, which is fine. 2% would still be fine as well, 4% would be paramedic range I guess :wink: