half my weight in water?

Yikes! I went to the doctors today and she told me I should be drinking half my weight in water! I'd be in the bathroom 24/7 if I ever drank that much! How do you drink enough in a day?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited April 2015
    Yikes! I went to the doctors today and she told me I should be drinking half my weight in water! I'd be in the bathroom 24/7 if I ever drank that much! How do you drink enough in a day?

I think the doctor meant half your weight in ounces. If you weigh 200lbs drink 100 ounces.

Didn't you ask what he/she meant when you were told this?

You would actually die if before you were able to drink this much.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    I bought a big cup from walmart that holds 1 liter/32 oz. I TRY to drink that 2 times a day, but it doesn't always happen.
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Yes, that's what I meant. It's still a lot! If I drank 100 ounces a day I think I'd not be able to leave the house.
  • ncboiler89
    Yes, that's what I meant. It's still a lot! If I drank 100 ounces a day I think I'd not be able to leave the house.

I'm not a doctor but when I am thirsty I drink if I am not thirsty I do not drink...unless were are talking about beer of course.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    You get used to it. For the first couple of days, yeah, you might be peeing more. It was every 15 minutes for me for a while there, lol!

It helps if you sip over the course of time - I try to get 8 ounces in over the course of an hour.

You can count things like coffee and tea, too. Many folks here tell you to evaluate how well you're hydrated based on the color of your pee - light yellow or paler is what you're going for :)

~Lyssa
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    giphy.gif
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Not a doctor. Do know that there IS an upper limit and that you CAN drink too much and end up flushing out useful things like minerals, and electrolytes and make yourself really sick (hyponatremia).

Mayo Clinic seems like a reputable source.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256
  • ncboiler89
    Not a doctor. Do know that there IS an upper limit and that you CAN drink too much and end up flushing out useful things like minerals, and electrolytes and make yourself really sick (hyponatremia).

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

I always remember the news story about a radio station that was having a contest where several people had to drink so much water every hour or so without using the restroom. If you used the restroom you were out of the competition and the last one standing won - a car or something. One of the contestants died.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    You have to go way overboard to drink enough water to kill yourself. Drinking 100 oz over the course of a day will not do that.

I try to drink a minimum of 40 oz of water a day. On top of that I drink anywhere from 16-32 oz of coffee per day.

I drink less if I'm not thirsty...I drink more if I'm really thirsty. I am one of the ones who goes by the color of my urine. If it is pale and almost colorless, than I figure I'm hydrated enough.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I always have water handy and drink a lot. I do not track it. I'm sure some days I hit 100 oz and others I do not

Did your doctor say why you were to drink this much? Have you had problems with constipation? Is it to keep you so hydrated you can't stand to drink soda or other high calorie drinks? To help with weight loss?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I got told that when I was pregnant, to drink at least 8 8-oz glasses of water per day at minimum, but try for half my body weight in ounces of water. The 8 glasses were a minimum. They say that at Weight Watchers too.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    I also go by color of urine. But, I love water and usually have a glass nearby most of the day, so it is rarely a concern.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

I always remember the news story about a radio station that was having a contest where several people had to drink so much water every hour or so without using the restroom. If you used the restroom you were out of the competition and the last one standing won - a car or something. One of the contestants died.
    I remember that as well.

• hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Well...the human body is about 60% water...
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

The radio station needs to be sued. Of course, a person can die from drinking so much water in a short amount of time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    I like this one even better pee-colors.jpg
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    I'll take purple! l.o.l.
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member

Your body will adapt! I Promise!!
  • K_saine
    K_saine Posts: 58 Member
    It takes a few days for your body to adjust to getting enough water. I used to never drink water and I started drinking minimum 4 cups (32 oz) a day and at first I was peeing every ten minutes. After a couple of days it tapered off to a normal amount of bathroom usage. I would suggest upping your water intake by 16 oz every few days until you get to the recommended amount a daily water intake :smile: