People On MyFitnessPal-Vent

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I have read many posts on here and there are a few rude, in considerate people that think it is amusing to be impolite, I like to think of them as 'mean girls' even though some are male. Most of the time I shake my head and ignore their posts, sometimes I read what they say to amuse me and sometimes I want to slap the repetition out of them. If you are happy doing what you're doing then carry if it doesn't work then do some research and change to something else. Trial and error is the name of the game and you will learn by your own mistakes.

TIL I'm a "mean girl" ...
    5f9664205bbbe85a5b315632dad24f53.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    adamitri wrote: »
    Reading your other threads, I don't understand where a lot of your ire is coming from. I believe what they told you is true and on point. There is no quick fixes when it comes to weight loss. No detoxes, magical meals or slimming teas that's going to make you lose weight and keep it off. You're young and while you're young it's a very good time to learn healthy eating habits.

Learn about portion size, learn about proteins, fats, carbs, and fiber. Learn about vegetables and what helps keep you full. Learn what your calorie goal is and how to stay within it. If you want to lose weight you're going to have to work hard. Or they're right, you will be back here in a month or so saying that you've gained those five lbs in water weight you lost right back.

Stop being mean by giving helpful advice...
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    I'm the opposite. I like bluntness, and honest replies. I don't want sugar-coating. If i'm unknowingly planning to do an unhealthy or stupid program/fad, I want people to tell me straight out. I post on here because I want people's honest advice based on their experiences/knowledge.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    I've noticed the name calling usually comes from those ranting about others being "rude".
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Come on, why are we having a mean people thread on Easter? ffs.

Well, since it's Easter......has anyone ever heard of the diet where you have a long-eared animal hide your food every night? If you don't find the food, obviously you're going to eat less, and even if you do find the food, you've probably burned a lot of calories looking for it! It seems like a win-win! Who's with me?

idk... can i get someone else to look for it all for me?

Sigh. I don't understand why people want to mess around with a diet that is clearly based in scientific fact.

Yea but i bet the science is based on rats, so doesn't apply to me.

Actually, the science is based on the musings of a particularly wily black-tailed jackrabbit. Which is what makes it fool proof. Keep up.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Cant say ive noticed the OP or her questions, but these mean people threads are getting silly. Ofc she has every right to ask whatever question she wants, but Im interested in giving honest good quality advice on what will work and what is going to waste their time. If the question was soemthing unsafe, unhealthy or just displayed a complete misunderstanding about the approach to weight loss this site promotes, then people are going to tell you. Its for your own benefit to have the truth. The mean people get blamed for saying the truth and spending their own time doing so, but I dont see the white knights answering all these questions repeatedly.

OP ask your questions and dont be shy, but its a public forum and you are going to get all sorts of answers, because all sorts of people make up the community. If you dont want to post then use the search function and see what previous answers have been (it will have been asked before many times most likely) or just ask your friends list.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    emily_stew wrote: »
    CICO15 wrote: »
    There are really only maybe 10 people on this site who feel compelled to shoot down anything people say that they disagree with. But they seem to be on the site 24/7. It's easy to round up the usual suspects.

It would be something like this: "I am thinking of going low-carb." Response - "Other than if you have a specific health issue, there is no reason to go low-carb."

Or this: "I'm trying to cut down my sugar consumption." Response - there is no reason to cut down your sugar consumption as long as you stay within your calorie goals.

It's sad.

What is sad about that?
    This. It's actually 100% helpful to tell someone this so that they can see that they DON'T have to do those things to lose weight. Because I'm sure most people would rather choose to keep eating the food they eat now than to drastically change their diet in order to lose weight.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    BINGO!! ;)
    I haven't gotten my card yet, how the hell did you get Bingo already?

I think that if you simply scan the thread titles for all the threads started by OP today, you could get a bingo.

• ana3067
    canoepug wrote: »
    There does seem to be a core of very rude people on this forum.Even if people are sick and fed up with answering questions that they consider a waste of time there is no need to be so rude.
    Do you even internet?
  • PeachyCarol
    whatatime wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. I like bluntness, and honest replies. I don't want sugar-coating. If i'm unknowingly planning to do an unhealthy or stupid program/fad, I want people to tell me straight out. I post on here because I want people's honest advice based on their experiences/knowledge.

^This is me.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    I have read many posts on here and there are a few rude, in considerate people that think it is amusing to be impolite, I like to think of them as 'mean girls' even though some are male. Most of the time I shake my head and ignore their posts, sometimes I read what they say to amuse me and sometimes I want to slap the repetition out of them. If you are happy doing what you're doing then carry if it doesn't work then do some research and change to something else. Trial and error is the name of the game and you will learn by your own mistakes.

So people using science to offer advice triggers violent tendencies in you but you label them as "rude, in considerate people"?

Trial and error doesn't need to be the game unless one is too foolish to learn from the mistakes of others.
  • Cookiejo2270
    Cookiejo2270 Posts: 51 Member
    I have noticed too that people are very mean on a lot of these threads. It's why I don't post questions. I add friends who I trust to give me feedback - constructive criticism and positive reinforcement.
  • PeachyCarol
    CICO15 wrote: »
    There are really only maybe 10 people on this site who feel compelled to shoot down anything people say that they disagree with. But they seem to be on the site 24/7. It's easy to round up the usual suspects.

It would be something like this: "I am thinking of going low-carb." Response - "Other than if you have a specific health issue, there is no reason to go low-carb."

Or this: "I'm trying to cut down my sugar consumption." Response - there is no reason to cut down your sugar consumption as long as you stay within your calorie goals.

It's sad

That's actually people offering constructive advice, they are not being contrarians just to be mean.

Many of us have had long experiences with trying different things in the name of dieting and have learned through that experience that those things aren't sustainable, aren't necessary, and sometimes can make the issues we have with food worse.

A lot of newcomers to dieting come into with a preconceived notion that they only have to fix "just this one thing", then everything will magically fall into place.

That thinking is not going to get them far.

A lot of them think that they MUST do that one thing in order to succeed and for them, it's not exactly preferable.

Telling both types that they don't HAVE to do what they plan in order to lose weight is helping them on the path to success.

Patting them on the back and letting them continue on their way with a misconception? Not so helpful.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    In on the mean people Easter thread, this should be a doozy, and off to search for what prompted this...

OP if you want to save me some time and post links to where people were rude to you that would be awesome. I've got asparagus to wrap in proscuitto and plastic eggs to fill with candy before Easter part Deux later this afternoon....
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    In on the mean people Easter thread, this should be a doozy, and off to search for what prompted this...

OP if you want to save me some time and post links to where people were rude to you that would be awesome. I've got asparagus to wrap in proscuitto and plastic eggs to fill with candy before Easter part Deux later this afternoon....

There's been no less than 3 people in this thread who have said people here are mean. I can almost get a bingo from that alone. With the free spot in the middle I just need ONE more person.

Seriously though, is popcorn not cool today... do I need to ask someone to pass the jelly beans and peeps (I'll be honest, I don't actually like peeps... go ahead, I'm ready for my public flogging)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

So much this...

1303921718_ralph-wiggum-discovers-easter-eggs.gif
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, I'm a little late to the game, but I wanted to let you in on a little secret. All the fad diets, diet books, diet documentaries, magical diet/workout combos... they all try to trick you into doing the same exact thing: eating at a calorie deficit. They say you don't need to think about calories, but that is actually what they boil down to.

People who are desperate to lose weight are vulnerable to all these fads. They waste tons of money and energy on unnecessary rules, products, and calculations because they expect the quick fix and don't get it. And then they get so discouraged they stop trying. This is dangerous. And this is what is dangerous about all the threads you keep rehashing: all the lurkers who hear all these ideas and waste whatever energy they have left on them instead of starting to log their food and learn patience, which is free and makes no promises of the quick fix.

Is that what you are trying to do? Lead newbies who could be starting on the road to learning how to eat well, learning what their body needs to be a healthy weight, and instead send them off chasing unicorns & rainbows? That seems kind of mean and not-supportive to me.

We ARE all different in a lot of ways, but the basic science of how our bodies work is not, it is remarkably constant. Eat more calories than you burn over time = weight gain. Eat less calories than you burn over time = weight loss. No book, supplement, pudding, detox, etc needed. That is all anyone is trying to tell you, over and over and over again.
  • ana3067

There's been no less than 3 people in this thread who have said people here are mean. I can almost get a bingo from that alone. With the free spot in the middle I just need ONE more person.

Seriously though, is popcorn not cool today... do I need to ask someone to pass the jelly beans and peeps (I'll be honest, I don't actually like peeps... go ahead, I'm ready for my public flogging)

I don't think I've ever had a peep... but I'm not huge on marshmallows outside of hot chocolate and smores.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited April 2015

Just for you:
    b1949d5742e2a4c9b531545e8f2e362f.jpg
This discussion has been closed.