Is 38% fat intake weekly (32% protein 30% carbs) keeping me from losing weight? Goal is 1 lb a week.

I've been on this 5 days and not a single pound shed. I've gone from 195 to 168 since Oct. But I feel my stomach has gone down. My nutrition is 38%fat, 32%protein, 30%carbs. I'm focusing on Atkins style fat and proteins. Carbs come from fruit. I'm close to where I need to be calorie 1,390 and % wise. Am actually higher intaking on the protein. I am sedentary because I have a disability but have still lost weight slow. Any suggestions for faster weight loss? I have been under the past 2 days but am too hungry on 1,200 calories. When should I see results? Thanks☺️

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    5 days isn't even remotely close to enough time to state you aren't losing weight.
  • spoonlamp
    spoonlamp Posts: 1 Member
    Co-incidentally 5 days is the longest I've gone without food...
  • LizBelle2015
    LizBelle2015 Posts: 60 Member
    Oh ok.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I've been on this 5 days and not a single pound shed. I've gone from 195 to 168 since Oct. But I feel my stomach has gone down. My nutrition is 38%fat, 32%protein, 30%carbs. I'm focusing on Atkins style fat and proteins. Carbs come from fruit. I'm close to where I need to be calorie 1,390 and % wise.

30% carbs is nothing like Atkins, wherever they come from. Atkins also avoids sugar specifically, and the carbs in fruit are mainly sugar. This doesn't mean you won't lose weight, just don't kid yourself this is anything like "Atkins". 38% fat isn't a mile off the population average, so this isn't "high fat" either.

1390 isn't especially low for a sedentary woman, but you haven't said much about your stats. Give it more time and consider changing to higher fat / lower carb as one option if it doesn't work out.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    If you are eating at a deficit, regardless of your macros, you will lose weight.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    30% carbs is nothing like Atkins, wherever they come from. Atkins also avoids sugar specifically, and the carbs in fruit are mainly sugar. This doesn't mean you won't lose weight, just don't kid yourself this is anything like "Atkins". 38% fat isn't a mile off the population average, so this isn't "high fat" either.

People on Atkins can get to that point as they move up the "Carb Ladder", as they call it. Fruit is reintroduced, after induction, on a few of the rungs. However, there should be a 12-15 net carb consumption of the vegetables along with the any recent additions.

Whatever way of eating you prefer is fine when you are eating below your TDEE, so the types of foods aren't the problem. I know that I sometimes don't see a change in the scale for up to 3 weeks. This is from a variety of reasons, and no fun, but it does eventually goes down like it should. Give it time.

• determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    edited April 2015
    yarwell wrote: »
    I've been on this 5 days and not a single pound shed. I've gone from 195 to 168 since Oct. But I feel my stomach has gone down. My nutrition is 38%fat, 32%protein, 30%carbs. I'm focusing on Atkins style fat and proteins. Carbs come from fruit. I'm close to where I need to be calorie 1,390 and % wise.

1390 isn't especially low for a sedentary woman, but you haven't said much about your stats. Give it more time and consider changing to higher fat / lower carb as one option if it doesn't work out.

She said she was eating "Atkins-style fats," not that she was doing Atkins. So whatever fats are approved on Atkins, that's where her fat intake is coming from.

ETA: oh, and Atkins style proteins. But not carb portions.
  • LizBelle2015
    LizBelle2015 Posts: 60 Member
    Since Oct I lost 25-30 pounds eatting this way. I just never counted calories. Like I said I was almost 200 pounds. Now I'm 168.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    You aren't close to Atkins with those percentages. Atkins is a high fat, medium protein, low carb plan. Fat should be 60-70% of daily calories from things like nuts, avocado, healthy oils, butter and real foods. You automatically lose water weight when you cut carbs because for every gram of carbs you eat, 4 grams of water are stored. You might want to go to the free Atkins website and look at the new Atkins 40 plan. It allows most foods.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    spoonlamp wrote: »
    Co-incidentally 5 days is the longest I've gone without food...

Where you shipwrecked?
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    edited April 2015
    You aren't close to Atkins with those percentages. Atkins is a high fat, medium protein, low carb plan. Fat should be 60-70% of daily calories from things like nuts, avocado, healthy oils, butter and real foods. You automatically lose water weight when you cut carbs because for every gram of carbs you eat, 4 grams of water are stored. You might want to go to the free Atkins website and look at the new Atkins 40 plan. It allows most foods.
    Interesting. Learn something new every day. Now off to googling that to learn more :)