Going Plant Based Vegan

Recently I've decided to go plant based! Looking for others who also are plant based vegan.. And if love to hear some advice for newbies like me :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Buy some good cookbooks (Isa Chandra Moscowitz, Terry Hope Romero, Robin Robertson, and Bryant Terry are some of my favorite cookbook authors).

Maintain a healthy skepticism about health claims everywhere (including the vegan community, we have some real wackadoos).

Consider purchasing a guide to vegan nutrition (I highly recommend "Vegan for Life" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina and "Vegan for Her" by Virginia Messina is a good guide for women).

Don't be afraid of fat.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    First ask yourself why? Understand the pros and cons of vegan-ism. Go slow, don't look to be vegan anytime soon. Let your body adjust. Make that your maco goal. Start with tiny mico goals, slowly eliminate certain foods, see what is working and what is not working, Learn what complementary proteins are. Here's some things to be aware of. Chronic fatigue, and iron, carnitine, creatine, and protein deficiency. Also vegans are generally low in zinc, calcium, vitamin D, riboflavin, and B 12. You may have higher levels of phytates, oxalates, and tannins. This can bind minerals making them harder to adsorb. You will be eliminating key food groups from your diet, you should know what to expect. Find support groups, coaches, and educate yourself.
    Good luck
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Why? If it's for weight loss.... why?
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    I am not a Plant Based Vegan.. But my husband is so if you want help send me a friend request...

Don't be so hard on yourself if you screw up ... There is a big learning curve for this kind of Vegan. your not going to be perfect overnight and that is OK. You will get there is this is really what you want to do.

There is a good cookbook 101 Best Vegan foods and The Happy Herbivore Cookbooks are great places to start. They have good and are pretty basic to make.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Vegan-Foods-Publications-International/dp/1450851258/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428342477&sr=1-1&keywords=101+best+vegan+foods

Good Luck
  • FrenchToast95
    FrenchToast95 Posts: 19 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »

I have struggled with an eating disorder and I'm just looking to change my lifestyle. My cousin is plant based and has over come her ED and I hope to do the same by fueling my body with healthy foods
  • parisvt
    parisvt Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2015
    I've been vegan for about 5.5 years now and my body feels so much better than it did when I wasn't on a plant based diet. I actually became a vegan over the period of a couple of years. I stopped eating red meat and dairy when I was 17. I began running a lot and eventually started doing marathons. I felt like every time I ate red meat or dairy I was weighed down. Ice cream was the worst for some reason. Once I made this change in my diet I never had heartburn again...A chronic problem I had always blamed on coffee...

I then went vegan in January 2010 after I had already cut out all meats and eggs for animal cruel reasons. All I had to end was the cheese and yogurt.

So fast foward to today and I am completely vegan for environmental and animal welfare reasons. I live in France where being vegan is a challenge (the land of cheese and fois gras)! But lucky my boyfriend is also vegan and over the past two years I feel we got the cooking part down, so much that the deficiency problems so many think come with a vegan diet are non existant! We make lots of lentils (black ones are great for antioxidants), beans, fresh/raw veggie dishes, vegan quiches...and the list goes on. We try to limit our soy intake (and if you are in the US opt for organic soy products due to gmos).

As for recipes, we rarely use a cook book but we do have a few on hand (but they're in french so I won't list them here). We like to try indien spices, like putting curry, coriander and cumin in coconut milk and mixing it with sweet pototos or chick peas.

I also get my blood checked every year to get all my vitamin and minerals checked. The only issue I've ever had is low vitamin d....which even meat eaters have...my doctor has also told me that he can't say one negative thing about my vegan diet because the bloodwork is perfect...A big surprise for a french doctor to say that!

So now the big thing. ..will you lose weight with a vegan diet?! Yes or no. It depends how you eat! There are plenty of vegan junk foods out there that with the exception of being animal friendly are no better nutritionally than a McDonald's. So avoid all the vegan hotdogs and fried "chicken" nuggets and other foods and go straight to the fresh veg and fruits! I opt for organic foods...as so many scary pesticides are used these days... I also limit soy because of the high estrogen levels. I feel like I get much more hormonal with too much soy...

For milks I prefer rice. But there are many options. I do like almond milk but never buy it due to the honeybee problem in California for the almond tree polination....that's another convoy!

But I really think that if you are ready for a vegan diet go for it! Go slow and don't feel weak if you slip up. It happens! Try new veggies. Maybe sign up for a veggie basket each week? Try new spices with antiinflammatory and antioxidant benefits. I'm sure you will lose weight and feel better...With lots of energy too!!!
  • janejellyroll

I have struggled with an eating disorder and I'm just looking to change my lifestyle. My cousin is plant based and has over come her ED and I hope to do the same by fueling my body with healthy foods

I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who is more pro-vegan than I am. I have been vegan for nine years and I think that it is possible to thrive as a vegan. That said, it is not a cure for ED. Layering food restrictions (which, even from a positive POV, veganism is) on top of an ED can be dangerous.

There are some inspirational stories of vegans who have overcome EDs. If you are interested in reading more, I would suggest the "Green Recovery" series of posts on Gena Hamshaw's "Choosing Raw" blog (she doesn't advocate for a fully raw diet, just suggests ways to add more raw foods to the diet). There are also lots of people who found adding veganism to an ED made their physical and emotional health worse. My concern is that you would complicate your recovery and potentially set yourself back.

Focus on getting better. Veganism will be here when you're ready.
  • janejellyroll
    parisvt wrote: »

So now the big thing. ..will you lose weight with a vegan diet?! Yes or no. It depends how you eat! There are plenty of vegan junk foods out there that with the exception of being animal friendly are no better nutritionally than a McDonald's. So avoid all the vegan hotdogs and fried "chicken" nuggets and other foods and go straight to the fresh veg and fruits! I opt for organic foods...as so many scary pesticides are used these days... I also limit soy because of the high estrogen levels. I feel like I get much more hormonal with too much soy...

If someone is struggling with an ED, suggesting additional restrictions (avoiding "vegan junk foods") may do them harm. We don't know OP's weight. Calorie dense foods may be just what she needs. Restricting her diet to fresh vegetables and fruits may not be healthy.

• ana3067

In this case I'd listen to @janejellyroll . Restricting your diet, even if you think it's a beneficial solution because you'll only be eating "healthy" foods, doesn't sound like something you should be doing. Eat the calories the treatment program told you that you should be eating, and eat calorie dense foods to reacht hat goal. Which will not happen on a plant-based vegan diet. At least not at all easily. And this proposed approach would most likely further your chances of eating below your calorie needs.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member

OP, im not vegan, and I dont really care. You just got a kickin body and I thought I would say so.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member

vegan ≠ healthy

french fries and ketchup is vegan.
  • parisvt
    parisvt Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2015
    parisvt wrote: »

If someone is struggling with an ED, suggesting additional restrictions (avoiding "vegan junk foods") may do them harm. We don't know OP's weight. Calorie dense foods may be just what she needs. Restricting her diet to fresh vegetables and fruits may not be healthy.

My apologies you are correct. I was typing when she added the ED information. I agree will the info about calorie and nutrient dense foods...and also the helpful reading resources posted in this thread. I realize this is different, but as mentionned I was an athlete for several years and it all came to a stop one day when I hurt a nerve in my leg. I struggled with body issues for 2 years and depression. My eating became abundant and unhealthy...even if it was vegan...I finally hit the point where i decoded to really focus on my vegan diet and nurishing foods. It's been about two years now since I made this change and I feel better and have much better self esteem....still working on that leg issue but it's getting there:)
  • janejellyroll

vegan ≠ healthy

french fries and ketchup is vegan.

Within the vegan community, "plant based" is sometimes used to refer to a way of eating that is focused on the healthfulness of foods, not avoiding animal exploitation. That might be what the OP means by saying she is thinking of going "plant based vegan," not just vegan.

My concern is that veganism does involve restriction and the restrictions of your typical "plant based" diet go way beyond veganism. I worry that the mindset involved isn't very compatible with attempting recovery from an ED.
  • FrenchToast95
    FrenchToast95 Posts: 19 Member
    Recently I've decided to go plant based! Looking for others who also are plant based vegan.. And if love to hear some advice for newbies like me :)

UPDATE: my eating disorder was not a restricted one. I binged a lot, on very unhealthy foods.. Which would lower my self esteem. I've slowly been eating healthier and cleaner and it has helped tremendously. I just want to know the dos and donts of PBVeganism. Should I stay away from brown rice? Can I still eat natural organic pb? Do I count calories with this lifestyle??
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2015
    you can check out ohsheglows.com for some recipe ideas..
  • ana3067
    I think you should take the advice of not following a restricted diet plan regardless of whether your issues were with bulimia or anorexia. Or whether it was just about binge eating.

Why don't you just continue eating as you are now if you are meeting your nutrient needs?
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    I have been vegan for 25 years and completely agree with the below..

I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who is more pro-vegan than I am. I have been vegan for nine years and I think that it is possible to thrive as a vegan. That said, it is not a cure for ED. Layering food restrictions (which, even from a positive POV, veganism is) on top of an ED can be dangerous.

There are some inspirational stories of vegans who have overcome EDs. If you are interested in reading more, I would suggest the "Green Recovery" series of posts on Gena Hamshaw's "Choosing Raw" blog (she doesn't advocate for a fully raw diet, just suggests ways to add more raw foods to the diet). There are also lots of people who found adding veganism to an ED made their physical and emotional health worse. My concern is that you would complicate your recovery and potentially set yourself back.

Focus on getting better. Veganism will be here when you're ready.

• janejellyroll
    UPDATE: my eating disorder was not a restricted one. I binged a lot, on very unhealthy foods.. Which would lower my self esteem. I've slowly been eating healthier and cleaner and it has helped tremendously. I just want to know the dos and donts of PBVeganism. Should I stay away from brown rice? Can I still eat natural organic pb? Do I count calories with this lifestyle??

I can't speak to "plant based," as I don't understand the logic behind those restrictions.

But vegans can eat brown rice. We can eat peanut butter. And, like all other humans, we need a calorie deficit if we want to lose weight.

When you ask about the "dos and don'ts," is there a specific plan you are thinking of?

• QueerAbuela
    QueerAbuela Posts: 23 Member
    hey!!! I'm not entirely plant based (yet!!) but I am a newer vegan who eats mostly plant based. I'm so happy I made the switch, it makes a giant difference in the way you feel. (granted you don't live off of oreos just cause they're vegan haha)