The "Food Babe" Blogger Is Full of Crap

Replies

• Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    I loved this. And Crazyjerseygirl.. you are right on. and its sad. because it's often those who have no choice in those decisions that suffer(unvaccinated kids).

And OH NO!! there's nitrogen in the air and acetic acid in your salad!! loved it!

Yup! And dihydrogen monoxide in your body! *gasp!*

The vaccination thing really irks me. My sons best friend can't get MMR for medical reasons, so now his parents get to live in fear because of dopes who prefer disbarred doctors and playboy bunnies to actual science. :(

If her son can't be vaccinated, then he is part of the problem - however he somehow gets a pass because you know his parents personally and understand their reasoning for not vaccinating. Parents that choose to under vaccinate or not at all just MIGHT have a good reason that doesn't seem obvious to people like you who like to clump everyone in the same box...very few people who do not vaccinate these days actually care about autism or Jenny McCarthy, FYI. You never know why parents choose not to vaccinate...but I'm sure you don't care about that and prefer to assume you know everything about everyone and their motives.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    I recently discovered Science Babe and Science Based Medicine, and love their blogs. SBM has a chemical breakdown of a banana to prove that she just uses fear of things she can't pronounce to fuel her "movement", and it's hilarious.

The Food Babe probably started out with good intentions, but she's become drunk with influence, and now just doesn't care about the nonsense she peddles. Her undoing has been underway for awhile, and I'm glad to see her BS being torn apart, brick by brick. There are a lot of good write-ups on her scam.

I was intrigued by her at first, but after reading her blog and looking at her "investigations" (I can't believe she uses this word to describe her activities), I dropped her like a bad habit.

Identical to the same path Dr. Oz has gone. But, if they didn't have die-hard followers they would just fade out. Sad, really.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Her poor toilet
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    edited April 2015
    So, Acg67 -- how long since someone played the Shill Card and accused you of being on Monsanto's payroll? I get that all the time.

Thanks for posting that here. I was retweeting that Gawker piece all over the place today. My cousin was sharing Hari's garbage on Facebook and I was pretty blunt with her about her tastes in gurus.

I am pretty sick and tired of debating the faux-benefits or organics and non-GMOs with people who know buggerall about plant science or biotechnology and yet swear up and down that not a molecule of any "frankenfood" will ever enter their bodies. People with no knowledge of science are also claiming they've sorted the bee problem, the monarch butterfly problem -- and while they continue to lean on 3-year old "research" posted on websites with very green-sounding names, the real research has continued, and real science advocates are finally starting to drown out some of the Food Babe Army's noise: @ChowBabe; Kavin Senapathy; The Genetic Literacy Project. Even Bill Nye is on the right track now, after shocking his fans with some real tinfoil-hat views on GMOs.

I was talking to a woman about this, and she asserted, "Monsanto is trying to kill us all with that pesticide that's killing all the bees!" I stifled a chuckle and said, "That pesticide has been found to have little, if any effect on the bees, and by the way, the pesticide you're talking about isn't made by Monsanto. IT'S MADE BY BAYER."

I don't like to make snap judgments about people, but anyone who is on the Food Babe side of any debate is willfully ignorant.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    Who is more of an a'hole: Food Babe or that Banana girl?

I'm so glad this article was posted. This just made my day.

Freelee, by far. The Food Babe is annoying, but Freelee attacks people who don't deserve her crap. Not to say that companies deserve the crap Vani throws there way, but Freelee is vile. I'm so glad she and her crackhead boyfriend got sued (and silenced) by Kayla Itsines.

See now I would say Food Babe as she has a much larger following than Freelee...

The size of one's audience has nothing to do with being a jerk, and besides, they're not exactly cut from the same cloth. While both of them are idiotic scammers, you have to note that Vani doesn't engage in the a-hole tactics Freelee uses to get attention, and she actually seems to be a nice person. She's annoying, sure, but she doesn't attack people for absolutely no reason other than to promote herself. She goes after companies, and doesn't promote an unhealthy lifestyle. Call her dumb for telling people they shouldn't eat things they can't pronounce or just get grossed out by, but she's not exactly hurting anyone. Freelee, on the hand...her nonsense speaks for itself.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    I must have smarter facebook friends than everyone...I don't see her stuff on my news thread.

Or maybe that's because as soon as I see that sort of crap I unfollow that person...ditto for the MLM people
  • jennismagic
    Troutsy wrote: »
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    amcook4 wrote: »
    I know many people who have been banned from her facebook page, most because they asked "why" and for science to back her up. Instead of having an adult conversation (which would show she doesn't know what she is talking about) she just blocks people. Real mature, right?

I have been banned from her facebook page... I'm going to guess it's because I called her a hypocrite because of her "shill" finger pointing... as she is a shill for many a "natural and organic" products...

But it's ok for her to hock over priced juice and other products because "her heart is in the right place"... this would be true if the "right place" was in the willfully ignorant peoples wallets.

Yup, but those of us that choose a scientific career are lying if we say it was to help people. We obviously want POWER!

Now let me go write my scientist congressperson......oh...wait....

Made me think of this:

tumblr_m9gd7kka5V1qfvso1o1_r1_250.gif

tumblr_m9gd7kka5V1qfvso1o2_r1_400.gif

tumblr_m9gd7kka5V1qfvso1o3_r2_500.gif

I remember watching this and agreeing, although it must be said that some of them are medical doctors. It must also be said that many engineers and scientists seem to have the personality of a dry sponge, so there's that.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    edited April 2015
    The replies to this thread have restored my faith in MFP. I was super pessimistic about what I would find when I clicked on it. Hurrah!

ceoverturf wrote: »
    Or maybe that's because as soon as I see that sort of crap I unfollow that person...ditto for the MLM people

I had someone on my FB post an article once about how baby carrots were made from the nasty, leftover scraps from processing "normal" carrots and were then compressed into these mass-produced, fake little carrots. Basically like the pressboard of carrots. Unfollow, unfollow, unfollow!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    ...unleashing her "Food Babe Army" on random companies....

I just thought I'd make your day. Science Babe has successfully prompted Petco to pull the homeopathic dog remedy (18% alcohol) from their shelves. Science babes have armies too!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Bukawww wrote: »
    I loved this. And Crazyjerseygirl.. you are right on. and its sad. because it's often those who have no choice in those decisions that suffer(unvaccinated kids).

And OH NO!! there's nitrogen in the air and acetic acid in your salad!! loved it!

The vaccination thing really irks me. My sons best friend can't get MMR for medical reasons, so now his parents get to live in fear because of dopes who prefer disbarred doctors and playboy bunnies to actual science. :(

If her son can't be vaccinated, then he is part of the problem - however he somehow gets a pass because you know his parents personally and understand their reasoning for not vaccinating. Parents that choose to under vaccinate or not at all just MIGHT have a good reason that doesn't seem obvious to people like you who like to clump everyone in the same box...very few people who do not vaccinate these days actually care about autism or Jenny McCarthy, FYI. You never know why parents choose not to vaccinate...but I'm sure you don't care about that and prefer to assume you know everything about everyone and their motives.

Anti-Vaxer found.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    I liked the article so I checked out Science Babes facebook page and it is all attacks on Food Babe. Lame
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited April 2015
    If you choose not to vaccinate your kid for any other reason than they are immune compromised or have a legit allergy to the vaccine then please home school them and keep them away from the public. Not vaccinating for "reasons" is selfish beyond belief.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member

You do know that if a family member had a severe allergic reaction to a vaccine then the child/children are medically barred from getting the vaccine...right? It's not that they choose to not get their kid vaccinated, it's that he can't get the MMR vaccine for medical reasons (just like children with CMV and other diseases that impact their autoimmune system cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons).
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member

Anti-Vaxer found.

It's never difficult.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    Who is more of an a'hole: Food Babe or that Banana girl?

I'm so glad this article was posted. This just made my day.

Banana Girl?

I'd Google it, but I'm at work and I'm afraid what Google Images might bring up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2644730/Freelee-Banana-Girl-eats-2-kilos-potatoes-ONE-sitting-credits-unusual-diet-not-strict-workout-regime-incredibly-lean-figure.html

ETA: her claim is that eating mono-foods (like 20 bananas for breakfast) causes fat loss, but neglects to mention her long distance running every day.

OMG. I love bananas but if I eat more than one a day I bloat and it's painful. I can't EVEN imagine what would happen to me if I ate 20 in one sitting. Blech.
  • jennismagic
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    I liked the article so I checked out Science Babes facebook page and it is all attacks on Food Babe. Lame

No, it isn't. She's getting a lot of attention from the Gawker article, so naturally, that's going to be a hot topic for a few days. She talks about much more than that.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    edited April 2015

No he isn't... and most people don't vaccinate because they don't understand science and they trust what they read on Google... let me make this clear. Google is incredibly biased towards what YOU want to read/hear.... how? Because of how YOU search for things...

There was one conversation I was in that someone suggested that Pink Himalayan Salt was this cure all and it was nutritionally better than normal table salt... it took me FIFTEEN pages of results of the same regurgitated tripe that was most likely copied from something Mercola was spewing before I found an actual Scientific explanation that Pink Himalayan Salt is not much different at all than Table Salt... it is all Sodium Chloride... and has not magical healing powers. Same goes for the anti-vaccination crowd and the anti-GMO crowd....
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    LMAO oh I LOVED this! And you are so right! Don't EVER "eff" with ANYONE'S Pumpkin Spice Anything!!!!
    I have never even heard of this woman. I will have to go check her out just to get a good eye roll exercise in.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Also, you can post whatever you want on Science Babe's page and you won't be blocked (well, I suppose you would if you made a death threat or something against FB's policies). Say ANYTHING on Foodbabe's page that doesn't comport with supporting her 100 percent - even asking a mere question, will get you booted right off the page. That says a lot.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    AlciaMode wrote: »

It really isn't. Of course it currently is based entirely on the article. Science Babe constantly tells people to not say derogatory things about people and to focus on the garbage that is spread. Generally she avoids talking about Food Babe because it's obvious how much crap she spreads and Science Babe wants to focus on the others out there who are spreading junk and claiming it is science.