40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• KetoinAlmonteON
    KetoinAlmonteON Posts: 3 Member
    Hello Cool kids - I am new hear however not new to MFP. I love the app, and now feel I need to be part of a community of sorts. I love how you all are so encouraging. I am 47 - will be 48 in August. I have 20 lbs to lose - am hoping by July 1st - just in time for our rental cottage week. 20 lbs in 12 weeks, I am hoping it's do-able. I am trying to focus only on the week Im in. I weighed myself this morning, and am hoping for -2 this week. So I'm only focusing on the -2. Also started Couch 2 5K this morning, so got my butt out there even though it was 0 degrees Celcius. Felt great. Anyway, I am happy to meet you all. Hope you had a wonderful Easter weekend (for those who recognize Easter).
  • WMDemetree
    WMDemetree Posts: 3,923 Member
    @unfinishedbusiness4 welcome to the forum and good luck with your goal.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Hello everyone.
    Larro, your cat looks so funny up on the post. Very adventurous. Looks like he's on guard for your property.
    Kelly Sue, so sorry you're not feeling well. Rest up.
    Emmalu's mom,, what a cute grand daughter. I'm sure she made Easter fun at your house.
    Furrballs, not the thumb. I hate injuries that involve cuts like that. Hope it heals well, that's got to hurt. Ouch.
    Alf, wow what a nice vacation. love the pictures, hope you're having a great time.
    Curiousgeorge, it will be good to be back home after so much traveling and eating out. It can get old real fast. Hopefully you can get back into your regular routine pretty easily.
    You can tell your mom that I belong to the Heart and Hand quilt guild and the Clueless quilters guild which both are chapters of the Maine State Quilt Guild. I also belong to a small miniature club and do long arm quilting for a few customers and friends. Right now I have a huge quilt on from a new customer, didn't know she was a smoker, so now my nice quilting room is a little stinky. I can't wait to get it done and out of there. I will have to febreeze and do the melted wax things and open the door to the freezing snow to get it back to normal.
    I hope some day excercising will be fun to me or easier. I am still doing it, but really struggle some days. I do feel good when I am done, not that I liked it or anything, just that I'm done with it, and do feel stronger though. Do any of you struggle with it?
    Well, I hope you all have a great week and keep up the good habits.
    To all the new people out there join in anytime, let us know how you're doing. We all have good days and bad days. We just keep on keeping on.
  • JackieUnlimited
    JackieUnlimited Posts: 93 Member
    Beautiful pictures everyone!

Georginna thanks! I agree need to do a little bit if experimenting and see what the old body likes and doesn't react well to.

3furballs my stomach flipped when I read about your thumb. Did something similar years ago but mine was a hatchet. Good job sticking with the kickboxing. Such a trooper!!! We had a bit of snow here yesterday too but it is gone now. :smiley:

Managed to get about an hour and twenty five minutes of total walk time done with the dog tonight, which is even better on top of the 35 minute walk/run I did during my lunch on the treadmill. Ran at 4.6 mph. Felt like I could have gone longer but need to stick with 3 times a week right now. Still building up.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Hello everyone.

Right now I have a huge quilt on from a new customer, didn't know she was a smoker, so now my nice quilting room is a little stinky. I can't wait to get it done and out of there. I will have to febreeze and do the melted wax things and open the door to the freezing snow to get it back to normal.

Don't be too hard on the smokers. After all they are helping to save Social Security ;) In all seriousness, a study in Norway or one of those little Scandinavian countries found that smoking saved them over a billion dollars a year in retirement payments. With our population our savings is many times that.
  • alishaspringle
    alishaspringle Posts: 47 Member
    3furballs, Yikes!! I can't believe you kick-BOXed later that day! You sure you're not Wonder Woman?

Emmalusmom and Kelly, you both have beautiful pictures of your Easter Sunday.

Larro, Technically the 'river' was the Dismal Swamp Canal (I don't find it dismal, but then I'm not trying to homestead in it), so that actually explains two of the places. Virginia Beach was the weekly Date with my husband later that day. I did click on the photos in order - they just didn't load that way! But it was an awesome day.

Beeps, I am totally with you on calorie restrictions - I would almost rather eliminate foods entirely than count what I eat - but I am, and so shall you. Boom!

Have a Great week, Cool Kids.
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    @Curiousgeorgianna- nope never did make it! I really wanted to but I was so tired, even more-so on Sunday. I was even busier at work that day(LOL). Was assigned patients on 4 different floors(same assignment that I had on Saturday) but it was MUCH busier for some reason. It wasn't even a heavy assignment. But I ended up sending one of my patients to the ICU, some of my patients who were on as needed respiratory treatments were suddenly calling when they weren't on Sat and my Cystic Fibrosis patients were hit or miss on whether they were going to take their treatments or not for various reasons. LOL

I don't know why I think I can go to the gym after working Mon- Fri and then pulling two 12 hour shifts at my per diem job and then back to my full time job this week. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment! LOL

Hoping to go for a run after work tomorrow before I pick up my son from daycare. Too cold again to run outside at the moment. LOL
  • WMDemetree wrote: »
    Hi @sherrymaharaj . Just follow this forum I guess. Good luck on your goal, and I would highly recommend starting to exercise. Walks or runs should be fun around this time of the year.

Thanks. ...I'm starting a full time job tomorrow so I will be getting a lot of walking in! Lol
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    alf1163 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Fun isn't over. It's a Key West kinda day!!!

Sounds - and looks - like fun
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Yeah. I will have a new source of exercise on Sunday! We're adopting a 9 month old lab from a lab rescue! Some may remember our sweet lab passed away at Thanksgiving so I am looking forward to a new furry friend and the kids will be over the moon too!
  • nickpnh
    Happy Tuesday everyone.
    Alf - nice vacation pix
    Larro _ I have to wait for snow to melt before I can plant but I am ready. Should start seeds in the house soon.
    Stephanie - My ambitions often exceed my energy. The puppy will guarantee I at least do some walking every day (can you tell I'm excited about the puppy!!!)
    3furballs - yikes! I hope you are healing. I definitely would have skipped kickboxing so great job!
    Emmalu - cutie!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Still a full day in Miami then flying home tonight. I'm a little under the weather, my body is saying "slow down girl!!" View from my hotel room. 5nqd9vuf6hsx.jpg
    r5lqe7f6rnlw.jpg
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Happy Tuesday! I actually slept all night last night! No coughing! I am feeling much better today so I am ready for kickboxing tonight! That is a good thing because I have to work late on Thursday so I will miss class that night. Hubby is doing well- walked 150ft yesterday- he has really been trying to add a little more each day! So proud of him! Friends are already planning a HUGE party for when he finally makes it home!
    Had Jake today and we hopped around like frogs this morning! Too funny! I taught him that when he was at my house for the weekend and he doesn't forget anything!!

Have a good day all!
  • StephannieL
    @nickpnh- LOL yeah, I don't know what makes me think that after running around a 500 bed hospital all day (for a 12 hr shift) that I would feel like hitting the gym afterwards. However, I did have my Fitbit on and I logged 5.1 miles doing all that running around! AND I believe 13 flights of stairs or something crazy like that. LOL
    Good luck with the puppy!!!! I LOVE labs!!!!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Hey Kids,

Hope all of you are well.

Man oh man so much activity on her and I LIKE IT.....

3furballs--I am NOT shocked you pushed despite your injury. You appear so focused and determined with your work outs.

Beeps--I know whatever you put your mind to, it is as good as done. Have you thougth about seeing a nutritionist? Perhaps they can provide you a different perspective which will enable you to get those last pounds off. There was a lady at the gym who kept screaming about the last 10lbs and how she was unable to lose it. This very ripped guy told her to do the rower for 20 minutes a day for 2 weeks and she would lose it. She decided to try it and she lost it. My trainer was quite impressed with the suggestion and of course she is making our class row more and even in my 1 on 1's. The point, you may need to do something different than what you are. I AM CONFIDENT YOU CAN DO IT...

Nickpnh--You know I smiled when I saw your post about the new adoption. I would love to see a pic. Do you have a name picked out yet? Is it a boy or girl? I am so excited for you.

Larro--You have started a picture frenzy on here. Such a show off (lol)...You know I expect nothing less. How is mom doing?

CG--I was going to send you a note at some point as your hiatus was longer than normal. Love your excursions.

Emmalou--Beautiful picture of your princess.

AllenPriest-Sorry about the loss of your uncle, glad you are recovering and congrats on the weight loss. You have really had a tough time lately. Hugs to you.

Alf--You look great and glad you had a good time.

I decided to run on Sunday and 1/2 mile in this sharp pain in my knee stopped me in mid run. I walked the kink out and did a light jog and it eased up a bit. I iced it when I got home and rested. I went to Extreme Fit last night and realized how limited I was as I had to do many of the beginner exercises and I did not have the speed I am used to, yet my teammates were encouraging and helped me to appreciate I was still there doing something and not home having a pity party. I did a lot of upper body work and my arms are sore today.

I am so happy that everyone is being active. When you are down and out and feel you no longer want to fight to stay on this road, the opposite road (aches, pains, medications, etc) is also hard. Either choice is hard...Which one is up to you.

Have a great day kids.
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    edited April 2015
    Happy Tuesday Cool Kids,

Alf, I've only been to Key West once, but loved it. We took the boat to the Dry Tortugas and snorkeled there. Total blast. Have fun!

Sherry, congrats on the new FT job. Glad it involves walking. Desk jobs make it very hard to stay active throughout the day.

Stephanie, your work schedule sounds insane, but it also sounds like you do such important work. Thanks for that.

Larro, love the ROI perspective! I agree with Natalie though. The smell of cigarette smoke just sticks to everything and makes me nauseous. Hope it clears out of your quilting room.j

E'smom, such an adorable girl. She must have loved dressing in her special Easter dress.

KS, beautiful sunrise. One of my favorite daily miracles. Really happy to hear you're feeling better and were able to get some important sleep.

Oh Furballs! Ouch! I got woozy reading about your poor thumb. Glad it's still there, and you still went to Kick-boxing. You're an animal!

Beeps, the challenge sounds great. There's something very motivating about a group dynamic. Like this group!

Nick, a baby lab! How fun. What color? We had a yellow lab when I was a kid. Loved her. She smiled.

Caramel, thanks for the reminder about choosing our path. I've become tired, and feel like I'm just sitting on the curb. Time to dust off and continue the journey.

Off to Hard CORE at lunch, and plan for a good long walk after work.

Have a happy day full of good decisions everyone!
  • StephannieL
    @Curiousgeorgianna- Awww thanks! You are so sweet to say that. I'm a respiratory therapist and I love my job. I work full time at a small rural hospital and work per diem in the 500 bed hospital. I know that at least two of my patients were appreciative of my work this weekend, only because they told me. LOL
    It's always very gratifying when they tell you.

But I will say, working 12 days in a row is painful! LOL

BTW- What is Hard CORE?
  • nickpnh
    Thanks everyone. She is a black lab named Missy so I am thinking Miss Maple then Maple to keep it an easy transition for her. She is from a shelter in SC where her days were numbered. She will not be here until the 18th. They are spaying her before she comes North. But she looks so much like our last one it is amazing. Not that anyone can replace Star but Missy looks like the same easy going happy medium sized lab. Perfect for the family.
    We love to camp canoe kayak and be outside so she'll be extra inspiration for us.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,897 Member
    caramel- only one way to lose scale weight - calorie deficit. I don't need a nutritionist....I need to close my piehole and eat less.

And I am! First week of a cut is HARD....but after that, sailing is smooth as body realizes "ain't no more food comin'..."

I don't like my layer of winter fat....nobody else can see it (except ladies in the change room at the gym when I am showering....), andnobody (but me) will notice when it's gone.

Which it will be. In a couple months!

Got my strength-training done and have logged all my food for the day. I get a nice arugula salad with crisped chicken for supper. Yum!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,897 Member
    Oh....BOOM! For my lifting...