Fall '15 babies

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    I'm glad to hear that Thomas is still popular. We've got an insane collection of Thomas gear and toys purchased in 2005-2006... we got rid of all the other toddler toys, but kept the Thomas stuff because I thought it would have good resale value, and then I never sold it!

I've now passed the date when I lost my first (17w4), and my baby's been squirming around forcefully. We spent yesterday afternoon sailing on the Gulf of Mexico, and the baby didn't stop moving the whole time -- clearly sailing is an interesting sensation even when you're floating in amniotic fluid! Tomorrow is our anatomy ultrasound, and I'll also get the results of the AFP test. If all goes well tomorrow, I know it will boost my confidence enormously.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Oh good, wasn't sure if Thomas & Friends just in the UK. X
  • helenmelon29
    summer8it wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear that Thomas is still popular. We've got an insane collection of Thomas gear and toys purchased in 2005-2006... we got rid of all the other toddler toys, but kept the Thomas stuff because I thought it would have good resale value, and then I never sold it!

I've now passed the date when I lost my first (17w4), and my baby's been squirming around forcefully. We spent yesterday afternoon sailing on the Gulf of Mexico, and the baby didn't stop moving the whole time -- clearly sailing is an interesting sensation even when you're floating in amniotic fluid! Tomorrow is our anatomy ultrasound, and I'll also get the results of the AFP test. If all goes well tomorrow, I know it will boost my confidence enormously.

Hope all goes ok with your scan. We have one at 12 weeks and 20 weeks here and thats it unless any problems later on.

Is/has anyone found out the sex of the baby? we didnt last time but thinking we might this time.

Helen
    15 week 5 days (up 4lb)
  • poke987
    poke987 Posts: 348 Member
    edited March 2015
    I had a loss myself @Summer8it, getting past that point is such a relief... but i know I'm super anxious to get back to the drs and know that all is well. I'm behind you, at 15w4 and not feeling the baby yet so I have that nagging anxious feeling. Glad your bub is squirming for you!

@helenmelon29‌ Thomas is big for lots of little boys i know! After our fire we had to inventory our livingroom toy box for insurance. I was stunned when I added up the trains that were in there (and we have a dedicated train bin in their room, these were just ones that had been tossed into the catch all box)

We had some DNA (maternit21) testing so we know we are having another boy! That's 3 in a row for us, and 4 for hubby! I'm happy, i think all in all its wonderful to have another little guy... but since this will likely be our last, i would have been excited for a girl.
  • helenmelon29
    Hello

Poke- I feel a bit anxious too, guess its normal. I cant feel anything and guess wont for a few weeks yet.
    Think I thought Thomas was British (just because the DVD's etc have British voices!) obviously it isnt though. We have only just got into it really, least I know know what I can get him for his birthday in summer. Plus a bike or scooter or something.

Oh congrats on a boy. Im happy with either, if we have a boy we have all the things so be cheaper/ easier with that side of things but would love a girl too. I think this time its a girl though, I had no feelings either way with Isaac but I do this time (which is odd).

We dont have any DNA testing but can find out at the 20 weeks scan if the baby co-operates and they can see.

Have good day.
    Helen
  • poke987
    With 2 boys, born in opposite seasons, I have literally everything I could ever need... and then some! Our infant seat will need to be replaced as it has expired, but other than that I'll only pick up a few "too cute to pass up" outfits! So, yes... a boy is more cost effective for us! I would have gone a little crazy had it been a girl!

With my last son, I was sure he was a girl... but, nope! My mommy intuition was wrong! The second pregnancy was so different from my first I thought for sure it had to be girl. Ha ha, joke was on me! This time I thought boy, and yup! Boy!!
  • summer8it
    First, the important news: the big ultrasound yesterday went well, and the doctor said the baby looks "perfect." Hooray!

Since we didn't want to find out the gender, we were told to avert our eyes several times, and at one point the tech turned off the large overhead monitor for a minute or two. I'm sure everyone at the doctor's office already knows, especially since we had the T21 DNA screening. (BTW, I was STUNNED to get a bill for that test that was over $1,000, and that's even with our platinum-level health insurance. It would have been nice to know ahead of time that it was going to cost that much.)

We don't have any gear for the baby left over from my son, except for a nail clipper, some plastic spoons and forks from IKEA, and one of those flat waterproof pads you can put under the crib sheet. We moved from Washington, DC to Florida in 2008, when my son was 5, and by then we'd given up hope of having another child, so we sold or gave away everything. I was particularly happy to give my cloth diaper stash to a new single mother of twins who had been worried about the cost of diapering two babies at once. But it's ok, picking out new stuff for the baby is one of the fun parts of pregnancy!
  • summer8it
    Oh, and Helenmelon, Thomas the Tank Engine is definitely British. We have a big book of all the original Thomas stories, which were written by a Reverend Somebody, an Englishman, for his train-loving young son. The Thomas industry has since gone global!
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    Late to the club but expecting in the Fall - Nov 13th-ish. 2nd child (son is turning 2 this month), but now qualify as an advanced mother as well. Just turned 35 last month. Looking forward to hopefully NOT gaining 65 lbs like last time. I WILL eat within my calorie limits!

All little boys love their trains don't they?
  • Hey all! I'm a little late to the club too. I'm due early november. :) this is my second.

To answer the question of finding out baby's sex, we found out for our first and when my midwife asked me if we would find out again I didn't even have to think about it. Definitely yes for us. We really found it to be a nice surprise to help you get through the second half. Lol
  • RosieRaz
    Glad to have you added to the friend's list Suzanne.
  • poke987
    Hello all! Glad to see the "new" mamas!

16 weeks today and a routine office visit. By my scale at home I'm up just under 5 lbs, by theirs (also fully dressed and right after lunch) I'm up 6. Heart a lovely heartbeat but spent most of the visit on my rash. They are requesting a consult at our states largest hospital. It's not presenting like PUPPPS anymore, and I guess their is a rare condition that is seems like it might be, and it can cause low birth weight and low amniotic fluid levels. So, they want a proper diagnosis so we can monitor for those issues if need be. Treatment for me will remain the same, but adds some caution for baby. Also will see a dermatologist... sigh. Darn itches!

After the visit I went and did some shopping. Got maternity clothes even though I have no bump yet. Still in regular jeans and tops... but felt the need for some consumer therapy! All my maternity clothes were XL and having lost so much weight, i gave them all away. Bought smalls and mediums today! Spent more than I intended, but my mom was there to "egg" me on... and I just kept trying stuff on!

Went to carter's and Oshkosh but need nothing, just browsing for "too cute to pass up" only. Got a pair of chinos with attached suspenders, but that was all. Wanted to buy things, but nothing grabbed my attention.

Happy Easter all!
  • I hope the rash clears up for you. That's very frustrating, but it's definitely good that they are monitoring it. I used to get nasty rashes on my hands and arms and the only thing that helped was calendula cream from a natural store. I'm sure you've tried a lot of lotions and potions to clear it up. :(

I'm going shopping tomorrow for "normal" clothes that hide my "Ice cream bump". I've got a generous tummy in general, so I'd like to buy some nice clothes to disguise it so people don't guess its turning into a baby bump until we decide to tell everyone. That sounded weird and I'm not sure it made any sense... lol.
  • summer8it
    I hit another milestone today. I'm 19 weeks, and I'm back to my MFP start weight of 115 lbs. By next week, I will have discovered if weight loss tickers run in reverse!
  • poke987
    I hope I never see my start weight. Never ever again! But, with the 5 lbs I seem to have gained over the holiday weekend... I'm not doing so hot this week! Ugh. There is too much candy and way too many leftovers in my house right now. And my mom is here, and hubby gone on a trip... so we had Chinese for dinner. And there is a ton of that left over... Oy. I think those pounds might be here to stay! The bonus, my "food baby" added to my little bump makes me look a bit more pregnant. I wore a maternity top on easter and it looked cute, even though I know most of my belly is bloat and pudge...

I go see a dermatologist tomorrow am. Calendula cream is actually the only thing I tried that seemed to make it worse! I almost immediately had to shower it off!
  • helenmelon29
    Hi everyone and hello new girls.

I only have a couple mins to check in as on the end of my lunch break from work. I have a 17 week check up this afternoon so hoping all goes ok. I always struggle with my blood pressure (Its fine at home just when I walk in the hospital it goes up!), was ok when actually had my c section etc - guess I had other things to think about then, hopefully after a few readings it drops low enough. I took it this yesterday and this morning and both ok readings.

Bye for now.

• helenmelon29
    Hi

Had 17 week check and all ok. Blood etc results all fine. Heard heartbeat. BP bit high but she was happy with my home readings.

Next scan at 21 weeks then consultant app at 25 weeks to discuss if have c section or try natural. Im really unsure which to go for. Any opinions welcome.

Helen
  • poke987 wrote: »
    I go see a dermatologist tomorrow am. Calendula cream is actually the only thing I tried that seemed to make it worse! I almost immediately had to shower it off!

Really, eh? That's too bad. :( I hope you're able to find something that gives some relief! :(
    Next scan at 21 weeks then consultant app at 25 weeks to discuss if have c section or try natural. Im really unsure which to go for. Any opinions welcome.

I've heard that natural is easier to recover from... but of course it's a recovery either way - just different. I had a good experience with it.

• RosieRaz
    I had a C-Section (not by choice of course) but didn't think it was too bad. I don't have a labor story to tell people because you kinda skip that part. Helen - if you don't need a C-section, don't get a C-section. It's more expensive and the recovery is longer. If it can't be helped, then there is nothing wrong with it. Since I had one already, I will need to have a c-section again for my second child (if you wait 5+ years between children, you can give birth naturally). It makes it a little scarier knowing you're going to have major surgery, but on the other hand, its nice to have the birth date planned and scheduled.
  • poke987
    My dermatologist apt went well this am, she doesnt think its the scary thing OB was worried about however she couldn't biopsy any of the lesions because I have scratched them all! There isn't a single one I havnt torn open. Sigh. So, off all meds for 3 weeks and I have to be super diligent about not itching them so she can see what they look like on their own. 4 times daily with a mega moisturizer, try not to shower, trim nails to nubs... hold out 3 weeks, or as long as I can so she can see them in their true form and biopsy if she needs. But... i was glad to hear she wasn't thinking it was what OB was afraid of. I was up 5 lbs on their scale from my Friday weigh in. Ugh! I know I've been on am easter binge, but this is bad!! (Said as I eat an icecream sundae)

@helenmelon29 I had a repeat section for my second. I wasn't a candidate for a vbac, it was fine... easy recovery, I had already had one Soni knew what to expect. It was odd to schedule it, but I got over that. I will have a 3rd, again no choice. I'm not a good candidate with the complications after my 2nd one. A girlfriend who had both her kiddos at the same time as I had my younger two was also a section for her first (also with failure to progress) then went on for a vbac while I had my second section. She told me it wasn't worth it! But, that was just her opinion and she might have been trying to make me feel better. She tore, and the sitting/peeing was still tough 2 weeks out when I saw them. Again, just one opinion... but coming from her it made me feel better, especially since I have no choice.