How to lift weights properly?

Hello! I am trying to build some muscle and have slowly been plotting my entrance into strength training versus excessive cardio.

I am terrified of the weight room because my gym has very beefy dudes and I feel self conscious that I am not doing something right slash I only know a few excercise so I creepily use my peripherals to copy people's excercises.

Does anyone have any post recommendations, sites, instructional videos, basically anything that can help with female weight training, form, excercises Etc. Help would be very much appreciated :)

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    don't copy people in the gym, most of them (even the beefy dudes) are doing it wrong.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2015
    Watch your posture, protect your back, shoulders back and hold in your stomach, keep your knees soft and enjoy yourself.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    don't copy people in the gym, most of them (even the beefy dudes) are doing it wrong.

Quoted for truth.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Either hire a good trainer, or follow a good program, like NROL4W, Stronglifts, etc. If you're still unsure, you can post form check videos of yourself here.

Ignore everyone in the gym. Wear headphones to deter guys from "trying to help".
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Watch your posture, protect your back, shoulders back and hold in your stomach, keep your knees soft and enjoy yourself.

keep your knees soft????

OP take a look at the So you think you can XXXX series on youtube.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Lifting is my favourite thing to do. I know of two great resources you might like.

First, the bodybuilding.com exercise database: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ It includes exercises grouped my muscle targeted, a detailed step-step description for each exercise with a video of a male/female completing it (you can click on the “female” tab), and ratings for the exercises.

Second, the exercise program I follow, namely Starting Strength. The book details proper form very well.

What kind of strength training are you looking at? If heavy lifting is what you’re going for, the single most important thing is form. You don’t want bad form when you’re deadlifting 150lbs. The Starting Strength and Stronglifts programs are a good place to start.
  • jennifuhre
    jennifuhre Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you all so much! My main goal is to build strength. I have very weak arms and 12 lb dumb bells are a struggle so I'm starting from there. Will definitely check out body building website :)

Another question....when I do try to lift my elbows crack each bend.... Is this because I'm weak or am I doing something wrong...
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Either hire a good trainer, or follow a good program, like NROL4W, Stronglifts, etc. If you're still unsure, you can post form check videos of yourself here.

Ignore everyone in the gym. Wear headphones to deter guys from "trying to help".

Just don't wear the big ole' Beats headphones, because then you just look like another douche'. LOL
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    jennifuhre wrote: »
    Thank you all so much! My main goal is to build strength. I have very weak arms and 12 lb dumb bells are a struggle so I'm starting from there. Will definitely check out body building website :)

Another question....when I do try to lift my elbows crack each bend.... Is this because I'm weak or am I doing something wrong...

That’s hard to say. Maybe try warming up on the treadmill for 5 minutes and then do some light stretches before you jump into your workout. Also, compare your form with the bodybuilding exercise database: if you’re doing it the same way, you’re not doing anything wrong :p.

At the same time, always be careful. If something feels wrong or painful, you should probably stop. If you’re concerned, maybe consider getting a couple of PT sessions so you have someone supervise your form.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    I'd also recommend StrongLifts 5x5 - they have online videos to show proper form and even a phone app. Don't be afraid of the other lifters -- I have been given coaching from 2 people who noted problems with my form and offered help.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    My recommendation is to read Starting Strength and watch videos (I use Stronglifts 5x5).
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

What are you talking about?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited April 2015
    jennifuhre wrote: »
    Will definitely check out body building website

Cracking joints aren't necessarily a bad sign (pain is a bad sign). Try using the elliptical or rowing machine for 5 minutes before lifting. Moving the joints through their full range of motion for a few minutes can help loosen them up.

Don't piece together a routine at that bodybuilding.com page. You don't have the knowledge to create a balanced program. Again, follow a good, pro-designed routine (NROL, personal trainer, etc)..

• neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    I have had great success using www.bodybuilding.com. They have tons of video help so you can see how the exercises should be done properly. Also, they have an app for most phones so you can keep your workout and the helpful video with you at the gym.
  • jennifuhre
    jennifuhre Posts: 5 Member
    This body space app they have is extremely intense. Thank you all! I usually try to lift post cardio so the Elbows cracking isn't really a matter of being warmed up I just think my joints are weak so I'll try to avoid curls and maybe try other things. Nothing is painful when I lift my body just makes noises?
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    nope.gif