How often do you weigh yourself?

13»

Replies

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Every morning that I am home. I log every 7-10 days...
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Shadowsan wrote: »
    If a lot of people obsessed about logging food on food scales half as much as they checked their bodyweight...

...They'd not need to check their bodyweight.

I'm not saying you guys are like that, and I guess that's a sweeping generalisation, but I still think there's a certain element of truth in it.

it takes 3 seconds to get on a scale. your analogy is worthless.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    brdnw wrote: »
    If a lot of people obsessed about logging food on food scales half as much as they checked their bodyweight...

I'm not saying you guys are like that, and I guess that's a sweeping generalisation, but I still think there's a certain element of truth in it.

it takes 3 seconds to get on a scale. your analogy is worthless.

It takes 30 seconds to weigh food amounts. Which helps to negate the need for that 3 seconds and potentially the rest of the day agonising over the numbers that are seen on that scale.

I think my analogy is pretty apt, but each to their own :smile:
  • MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    edited April 2015
    I check my weight twice a day, when I get up and just before bed but I only log on the 1st of the month. I'm the type that likes to see a nice linear graph (it keeps me motivated) instead of the up and down fluctuations. I have figured out that what ever I weigh at night, I'll be three pounds less in the morning :wink:
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I tried to weight myself every day in the month of April but I just couldn't... Even when I would gain a pound over night it would ruin the rest of my day. I do it twice a week.
  • kbxiii
    kbxiii Posts: 865 Member

You're not completely off, some water retention and an up on the scale can (and have) ruined my day and led me to binge.

I still, tho, weigh myself everyday, but I take what the scale says with a grain of salt..
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    There are other measures such as the mirror, tape and I note down my weight/ speed and duration measures at the gym. I do like hopping on the scales though becayse I like fluctuations and the number motivates me. Its exciting when you see a new number. No right an wrong though and it depends whther it suits your personality.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    sandryc79 wrote: »
    Once each month. I find the normal fluxuations too anxiety provoking.

^^THIS!!^^ I think weighing oneself daily or weekly is just fine for people who can be logical about the scale going up and down by a small amount, but for those of us who can't do this then weighing once a month (or even less) is probably a better choice. I personally prefer to focus on how my clothes are fitting instead of the scale.

Yes! When I weigh daily or weekly and see a big gain or a no progress over a week I tend to start trying to compensate for it by cutting more and more. This inevitably leads to me feeling starving and binging. Then I feel terrible about myself and want to fix it with more low calorie over compensation. I end up not losing and quiting. With lower weighing incidents I am seeing a more general picture of progress but still checking in to make sure my intake and activity are a result provoking level. My clothes are loosening and I feel less pressure.

That said, if weighing daily works well for you more power to you!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited April 2015
    Every day.

There are SO many fluctuations - depending on what I've eaten, whether I've worked out, if I'm on my period - I want to be able to know when it's gone up and down. Any one day that I just happen to weigh myself may be entirely inaccurate.

Always first thing in the morning, always nekkid ;)
  • monicawaddell7
    monicawaddell7 Posts: 1 Member
    Once a day, I'm probably obsessed☺️
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    I'm in maintenance and do daily. I like to see trends. For example the days i chug a lot of water I usually don't have sodium gains like I do when I don't drink water. I also, after months of doing this, can figure out TOM based on weight spikes.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    If there was only a search function.