Calories too low?

Hi, i have a desk job but try to go to the gym 4 times a week and do a mix of cardio and weights...i would like to lose 6 pounds. I have my calories set at 1000...is this too low and if it is would i struggle to lose weight? i dont eat my exercise allowance

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Yes. Too few calories for that level of exercise, plus you don't have much to lose at all, so your body probably can't support that kind of deficit. You should be aiming to lose that weight quite slowly really.
    I'm assuming that 1,000 is not what MFP suggested you eat when you entered your info? Did you tell it you wanted to lose 2lbs a week?
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    That might sustainable for a few days before you start getting weak, hungry and give up. I doubt thats is what MFP set you up with, I would reset your stats and go with MFP settings
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    You need to do something that is sustainable long term. That isn't Have a look at this thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants#latest
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Yes, it's too low. Recommendations for women are 1200 minimum to ensure you get enough nutrients. You would lose, but you would also lose muscle since you have little to lose. Set your goal to half a pound a week.
  • susiejones512
    susiejones512 Posts: 3 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Yes, it's too low. Recommendations for women are 1200 minimum to ensure you get enough nutrients. You would lose, but you would also lose muscle since you have little to lose. Set your goal to half a pound a week.

• susiejones512
    susiejones512 Posts: 3 Member
    Thankyou for the above advice,I will defo be taking on board,guess it's hard to let go of what I think will work (too little calories) and actually stick to what MFP has set,and I think it's prob better to lose more slowly as suggested rather than 1.5 pound a week which is quite a lot
  • keithandsteph2012
    keithandsteph2012 Posts: 5 Member
    I work out four times a week and also have a sit down job too. I'm on a 1500 daily. And I losing 2 pounds a week
  • fourstar143
    fourstar143 Posts: 2 Member
    I lift weights and run 5miles a day 6 days a week while only taking in 1500 calories. I'm never tired and have plenty of energy. I have a very strict diet which makes evrry calorie count. So in my opinion (based on personal experience) the "experts" recommended daily calorie intake is not a one size fits all. Your body will let you know what its capable of, just listen to it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Yes they're too low.