What was the last straw?

Replies

• My last straw was graduating nursing school and being passed over continually for interviews. This is my dream job and I'm too fat to be hired!
  • DrunkInAGolfCart
    DrunkInAGolfCart Posts: 57 Member
    My cousin said to me recently (and I must note she's more like my sister and is overweight herself) "Laura, you have to lose weight because you are the most miserable fat person I've ever met"

She is so right. I have put on over 70lbs in the past 2 years (and I wasn't skinny to start with) and it's made me miserable! Some people still look insanely pretty when they're fat (my cousin is one of those people) but I'm not one of them. The fatter I get the closer I start resembling a pug dog. Not a great look.

Also it's got harder and harder to move around. I'm only 28 and I've started walking around like an old lady. Out of breath walking 20 metres uphill. Those days are so over for me.

I'm 2 weeks in at the moment so very early days but I'm committed. I've finally taken the plunge and am logging EVERYTHING. Bought a food scale. I've started before but have never taken the plunge in actually logging everything I eat on here. I've made half hearted attempts but nothing like this - psychologically I feel like I've now got the right mindset. Enough complaining about my weight and actually DO something about it.
  • Th3Wall
    Th3Wall Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2015
    two years ago I was pushing 240lbs and the doctor said I had a "fatty liver" and had to lighten up big time on food and booze in particular. I'd been working out (lifting) for years but ate anything I liked... I dropped 15lbs on my own, pretty much cutting out alcohol did that for me. Then I got a trainer and MFP religion... started tracking all my food, bumping up the protein and working out much smarter (smaller weights, lots and lots of reps). 22+ lbs and 6 months later I was at my goal weight and I haven't looked back.

80% of this battle is what you are feeding yourself. MPF food tracker was a real eye opener to me and its what helps me stay on track.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    This is a hard subject for me, but it's a story i'd like to share.

I've had a lot of things that made me want to lose weight. Seeing my highest weight of 230 pounds, knowing I was headed the route of my family with diabetes and heart disease, being unable to do any of the activities I used to love (I used to be quite the athlete), but even all of that motivation couldn't conquer my unhealthy relationship with food. Even when I didn't WANT it, my mind would literally drive me to near insanity to binge eat the most unhealthy foods almost daily. So last year, even after managing to lose 20 pounds, I once again succumbed to this madness of compulsive eating. I regained all the weight, which made me fall into a deep depression, causing me to eat more, which in turn made the depression worse. I hit rock bottom, and actually was so depressed that even my emotional eating wouldn't soothe the pain anymore. So I turned to alcohol. And abusing my adderall prescription (I have ADHD but I was not taking it as prescribed). And all the while eating more and more.

It finally took my best friend pointing out to me how depressed I was for me to stop and really think about how much pain I was in, and I realized it was no way to live. I set up an appointment to see a psychiatrist to deal with the depression and the eating. She put me on topamax for the compulsive behavior and Zoloft for the depression, and both have helped me immensely. I had a couple false starts while we figured out dosing, but I've lost 11 pounds since February 1st and just about 20 pounds since I started getting help. This time, I'm going to make it happen and stay healthy, because I never want to go back to that place.
  • foreverroses123
    foreverroses123 Posts: 69 Member
    Okay so I used MFP two years ago and I lost 11 kg but after that I just gained it all back and even more because of college stress. My clothes are really tight and I hate looking at pictures of myself.
    This september I am going to study in Japan for a year and because the sizes are smaller I want to lose weight just to have it a bit easier. And also because I don't want to stand out because of my weight but only because of my blond hair. It is a good motivation ^^
  • astgte
    astgte Posts: 81 Member
    Mine, well ive been a big lad since school, I remember leaving at 16 at 16 stone, balloooned up to 26 stone at one stage, always been known as big lad, fatso, fat **** etc etc, Most of the comments were like water off a ducks back, nothing really stuck although deep down a lot of them did hurt. I started cutting down and went down from 26 stone to 18 and stayed at that, moved on to new jobs and social gatherings and even though I knew id lost nearly 8 stone, to these new people I was once again big lad, fatso, fat **** etc etc, peoples first impressions stick. But I was semi happy, I could buy clothes even though they were in xxxl size, life just seemed to go on. That was until the middle of August last year, someone I had met recently, someone who is a very good friend now, well in conversation one evening we were having a laugh and she turned to me and said, its a pity, the only nice men I meet are ugly and can talk. She meant absolutely no harm, it was an innocent comment, said with the heart and not malicious at all, well I pulled her on it and we laughed for ages over it, and it just seemed to pass over me again. Well next morning, the night must have concentrated my mind, suddenly I realised she was right, I looked in the mirror and could see what she meant and then and there the mind was made up and I started that day on cutting down. Since the middle of august ive dropped from, 17 stone 11 pounds to 13stone 7 pounds, around 60 pounds. Its taking my mind a long time to catch up with how I look now, people comment and dont recognise me, say I look great, but I still have the old image of me in my mind, I suppose I lack confidence which is a cross that ive bore for many years. If I can get my mind to accept that im not the ugly guy who can talk it would be great, hopefully that will come in time too.
  • cheethnico
    cheethnico Posts: 57 Member
    Stepping on the scales after having my final baby and realising I could literally loose half of me and I'd still be a healthy weight I felt like cr*p
  • niajones95
    niajones95 Posts: 59 Member
    I always wanted to lose weight but never truly stuck to it, in fact most of the time I'd just list out all the things I'd do and assume that was enough, then not to those things and stay at the same weight. What was the final straw for me was going to Uni and wanting a fresh start, then feeling hideous when I saw that all of my roommates were slim and thinner than me, getting into my first relationship helped, also on nights out it was never fun not having nice clothes because I'd wear the clothes I wore in the day because I felt embarrassed dressing up
  • time4kim2014
    time4kim2014 Posts: 85 Member
    astgte wrote: »
    Mine, well ive been a big lad since school, I remember leaving at 16 at 16 stone, balloooned up to 26 stone at one stage, always been known as big lad, fatso, fat **** etc etc, Most of the comments were like water off a ducks back, nothing really stuck although deep down a lot of them did hurt. I started cutting down and went down from 26 stone to 18 and stayed at that, moved on to new jobs and social gatherings and even though I knew id lost nearly 8 stone, to these new people I was once again big lad, fatso, fat **** etc etc, peoples first impressions stick. But I was semi happy, I could buy clothes even though they were in xxxl size, life just seemed to go on. That was until the middle of August last year, someone I had met recently, someone who is a very good friend now, well in conversation one evening we were having a laugh and she turned to me and said, its a pity, the only nice men I meet are ugly and can talk. She meant absolutely no harm, it was an innocent comment, said with the heart and not malicious at all, well I pulled her on it and we laughed for ages over it, and it just seemed to pass over me again. Well next morning, the night must have concentrated my mind, suddenly I realised she was right, I looked in the mirror and could see what she meant and then and there the mind was made up and I started that day on cutting down. Since the middle of august ive dropped from, 17 stone 11 pounds to 13stone 7 pounds, around 60 pounds. Its taking my mind a long time to catch up with how I look now, people comment and dont recognise me, say I look great, but I still have the old image of me in my mind, I suppose I lack confidence which is a cross that ive bore for many years. If I can get my mind to accept that im not the ugly guy who can talk it would be great, hopefully that will come in time too.

Don't let that comment follow you around, feel proud for everything you have done!
  • missanne112015
    missanne112015 Posts: 8 Member
    So fed up feeling frumpy and meeting a few people who commented am I am pregnant! I'm 51. Come on. Grr
  • Mom2ATM
    Mom2ATM Posts: 147 Member
    Lots of things, but, my husband and I are planning a Disney World trip for the first time for all 5 of us and I will NOT be the morbidly obese mom sitting on the sidelines watching her kids have fun while I eat my emotions in Dole Whip (which i hear is reaally good) I do NOT want a seatbelt extender on the plane (i've never flown before so that should be interesting) No, I am committed to myself this time around, for not just my happiness but my kids as well. I don't want them to look back and say "mom..........that was a horrible trip because you couldn't do anything" :( Breaks my heart to think of that. I let myself go during each pregnancy with all 4 kids and I am now 136lbs overweight instead of around 170lbs overweight, And I also don't want to be squeezing into my size 24w capris this summer or be stuck back in jeans bc nothing else fits me, its not fun sweating while sitting in your central air :/
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    My cousin said to me recently (and I must note she's more like my sister and is overweight herself) "Laura, you have to lose weight because you are the most miserable fat person I've ever met"

She is so right. I have put on over 70lbs in the past 2 years (and I wasn't skinny to start with) and it's made me miserable! Some people still look insanely pretty when they're fat (my cousin is one of those people) but I'm not one of them. The fatter I get the closer I start resembling a pug dog. Not a great look.

Also it's got harder and harder to move around. I'm only 28 and I've started walking around like an old lady. Out of breath walking 20 metres uphill. Those days are so over for me.

I'm 2 weeks in at the moment so very early days but I'm committed. I've finally taken the plunge and am logging EVERYTHING. Bought a food scale. I've started before but have never taken the plunge in actually logging everything I eat on here. I've made half hearted attempts but nothing like this - psychologically I feel like I've now got the right mindset. Enough complaining about my weight and actually DO something about it.
    astgte wrote: »

We considering some of us married the "ugly guy who can talk" and find him quite charming and handsome, I think you can let that old stereotype go ;)
  • rockinbethany
    rockinbethany Posts: 3 Member
    One day, I woke up and decided I really wanted to change my habits. Granted, my eating habits still aren't the best, but I've been working out way more than I used to. I have a sit down job, so I've gained about 20 pounds since working there.
    I was tired of complaining about my weight, tired of feeling insecure. So I began using dancing videos on youtube, watching Biggest Loser while on my exercise bike, then I got into the program INSANITY. I lost 14 pounds in 3 months (I didn't eat as healthy or I would've lost more) I started TONING real good... but stress and my depression caused me to gain it back. But now I'm not letting anything control me. I'm no longer pushing to lose weight, but to be fit. I'll be joining Crossfit soon and I am so excited.
    I'm at 190 now, trying to get down to 180 at least!
  • rockinbethany
    So fed up feeling frumpy and meeting a few people who commented am I am pregnant! I'm 51. Come on. Grr

Smh that is very rude of them. I had an ex BF who was controlling about my weight.

• jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    I looked down and saw cellulite dimples in the FRONT of my legs :(
  • rockinbethany
    Straws that piled on:
    1. My Brother-In-Law's wedding photos
    2. My divorce.
    3. My breakup with a 'complication'(he INSISTS we were never 'together'). They say you teach best what you most need to learn. He taught me(by moving on so quickly) that he didn't love himself and therefore couldn't STAND to be alone.

I realized I needed to love myself enough to be comfortable being alone and then love would find me. If not, I'd be strong enough and love myself enough to be alone. Now I am showing myself love by torturing* myself with logging, walking, jogging, and lifting.

*Note: I secretly enjoy it but tell no one!

Haha!:) hey that's awesome that you Lift!
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    I have horseriding lessons at the weekend and an instructor very publicly questioned my weight in front of staff, clients and others riders. Whilst this can be fairly normal for a new person (so they can fit you to the right horse), I'd been going every week for almost a year. They then ummed and ahhed over whether I was too heavy to ride one of the biggest horses they own. I weighed myself when I got home and the worst part was, I'd also underestimated the weight I'd given by about a stone (6kg). Final straw! Lost almost a stone since then and aiming to lose one more. Whilst it was highly embarrassing and fairly mean, I clearly needed that kick up the butt to realise how much I'd let myself go!
  • Really... My brother hosts a game night and decided to put out 4 lbs of cured meats... I ate about a pound of a salami whose name literally translates to baby Jesus lol... Everyone ate a good bit, so everyone had a horrible case of the meat sweats... Except for me... My body was so used to an unbelievable caloric intake that it reacted like, "Oh hey... Some more *kitten* food... Alright guys get ready to digest this in six hours... Metabolism you can take that nap you wanted still." SMDH so I hit hard and I'm already seeing results but more importantly feeling great!
  • lesliewalker108
    lesliewalker108 Posts: 61 Member
    PREDIABETES ! THATS ENOUGH
  • I ran out of pants that fit. I refused to go buy a size bigger.

So I wore dresses and my loosest tight pants for a few weeks while I initially dropped some pounds.

Now I'm 3 sizes smaller and don't have any pants that fit, because they are all too big!
    I know this is a old comment but I just have to say that having pants that are too tight is a great problem to have. That is so awesome!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!