It is unlikely that you will lose weight consistently (i.e., weight loss is not linear)

Replies

• NuCaz
    NuCaz Posts: 13 Member
    Excellent, excellent post. Thank you
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Oh yeah, I definitely have to remind myself of this a lot. Just last week I posted on my newsfeed that weight loss was feeling like two steps forward, two steps back. One of my friends replied to keep at it and one day I'd get three steps forward. That's pretty much how it works.
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    With 90 days of tracking my weight every day, I can finally see my pattern as one month of tiny ups and downs, then 2 pounds gone.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    @mods, can we nominate this post to be a sticky, please?
    Agreed! Well done.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    I'm bumping this to give me the strength to not say F-it because my weight has gone up by two pounds in the last 4 days and I don't know why. :neutral_face:
  • Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    I needed to read this post today, thank you so much! Slowly but surely.....
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    edited March 2015
    We got an Aria scale, connected it to Fitbit account (which is connected to MFP) and Trendweight, and man does it do a good job of taking the stress out of daily fluctuations. I just check that my trend line is still moving down and then focus on controlling what I eat and doing my exercise. Everything else will take care of itself.

• afacetocallhome
    afacetocallhome Posts: 91 Member
    I love this post. Thank you! :smiley:
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Thanks for posting this. My daily weights are definitely up and down. Last month I took a screen shot of someone's graph that shows zigzags just like mine. It makes me feel better, to see that the overall trend can be impressive, even when it doesn't seem like it on any given week.
    segacs wrote: »
    Two images to illustrate this.

This one is a zoom-in of an arbitrary 7-day period, from February 21st to 27th:

gpsdp1ln7uzm.jpg

This one is a zoomed out chart since I started last October, with the small 7-day period from the above chart highlighted in the red rectangle:

lmv2x1yyp2id.jpg

I rest my case.

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Great post!
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    I want to hate this post so much, because I have been stuck for 3 weeks with nothing to show on the scale... but it's so true. Perspective is everything, and I am far more fit, and look so much better than I did when I started just a mere 2 months ago...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Bumping this yet again for all the people posting this week in the forums about their "plateaus".
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Feels like this should stay on page one for a while. Adding a bump.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    This is a fantastic post.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    This was excellent for me to see today. This morning I saw my first gain since February. Instead of freaking out I managed to keep in mind what wise MFP-ers have said about weight loss not being linear. This just reinforces it. Thank you!
  • quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    the simplest solution to frustration is both motivating yourself with posts and stories and pictures from others and clicking on the reports tab on your front page.

weight loss is never linear, and i and thousands of others will attest to that. i have done many drastic and unhealthy things because i didn't listen to people and was frustrated. do not punish your body.

that said, over a period of seven months, i have lost eighty pounds and i'm still losing; again, it's not linear and it never will be, but i guarantee you my reports tab has a huge downward leveling. there has seldom been a time i've had a plateau and when it happens, i make necessary adjustments to break it.

you CAN do this!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    It is funny that this was bumped today because I have been in a very impatient mood for the past few days. I kind of want to tell the OP to shut her piehole but people look at me weird when I talk to myself ;)