I Binged. What Now?

So yup, I binged for the first time in 21 days. I was doing so well, but my friends (and myself) wanted to make banana bread with some bad bananas lying around and I probably had 1000-1300 calories from it. I'm not as disappointed as I'd thought I'd be, but that could be because I lost a pound this morning and was feeling like I should "treat myself." Granted this was not the way to treat myself. Also in the past week I've been allowing more things into my diet that I probably shouldn't, like sweets and candy, so I know this needs to stop. I think by posting on here whenever I binge will really help me because I'll be able to SEE how often I do it. Anyway, do I just continue tomorrow with my normal amount of calories or decrease a little? And how have you guys recovered from a day of binging? I made it 21 days without it and I can make it even longer. I know it!

Replies

• MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    Don't sweat it, just get back on track and don't worry about completely eliminating the sweets that you crave just find a way to fit them into your calorie allotment once in a while.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    As binges go, I'd consider that pretty mild. Just return to your regularly scheduled calorie deficit.
  • thegaragegirl01
    thegaragegirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Just keep going as per usual. Don't beat yourself up, don't punish yourself, just keep going. It's okay to have a holiday, just don't unpack and stay there.

I made it 5 days without binging. That's a big thing for me. Today I'm just back to my normal program and that's the end of it. Don't look back. :) Recognise the mistake and move on.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Log it and move on. Try and learn from it so you cna avoid it in future. Thousan calories isnt bad at all.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    edited April 2015
    1300 calories of banana bread? Isn't that around 12 slices of normal bread? As in a loaf?

Sorry but this isn't computing for me lol. You sat there and ate an entire loaf of bread? Or is banana bread a lot higher in energy?

But any way, new day start again, maybe eat bananas before they go bad.

I don't think I have binged or maybe I don't realise what it is. I haven't eaten 1300 calories of one thing in a day.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    My biggest piece of advice: Log every binge into mfp, that way you can keep track of them and know how you're doing, not to mention - going over one day isn't necessarily going to put you over your deficit for the week!

I find logging my binges has gradually taught me how much of the good stuff I can have while still maintaining a deficit (it is possible). Teach yourself moderation by holding yourself accountable and logging what you eat.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Just try to learn something from it, and get right back on the plan! Sometimes when I have a bad day calorie-wise, I'll try to add a little extra exercise in for the rest of the week, but even that doesn't always end up happening :)
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Don't sweat it, just get back on track and don't worry about completely eliminating the sweets that you crave just find a way to fit them into your calorie allotment once in a while.

+1
  • Lady_Grell
    Lady_Grell Posts: 103 Member
    We all make mistakes. It simply means you're human, and it's good that you recognize it. The occasional binge, like the one you described, isn't going to immediately destroy all your efforts. Just move on and go back to your regularly scheduled program tomorrow. :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    it happens and that seems like a very mild binge to begin with

forgive yourself and move on its all you can do
  • thaatgurl
    thaatgurl Posts: 26 Member
    Happens to us all at some point. Just start fresh tomorrow. You got this!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Log it and move on.
  • alyci
    alyci Posts: 50 Member
    Just go back to your program. Punishing yourself the next day may sound like a good idea but you will simply make yourself unhappy and more tempted to get a reward for doing well.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    edited April 2015
    Merkavar wrote: »
    1300 calories of banana bread? Isn't that around 12 slices of normal bread? As in a loaf?

Sorry but this isn't computing for me lol. You sat there and ate an entire loaf of bread? Or is banana bread a lot higher in energy?

I don't think I have binged or maybe I don't realise what it is. I haven't eaten 1300 calories of one thing in a day.

I have,

I've eaten entire large pizzas and then eaten burgers on the way home. A single large milkshake at a fast food place can be 1500 calories. When I had a physically demanding job I ate this way and never gained an ounce. Now that I ride a desk and a car I gain easily.

Forgive yourself and go back to your deficit program. guilt is only there to remind us not to do something again. Beyond that it is destructive and discouraging. minor bump and totally overcome-able banana bread incident.

• Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Tomorrow's another day. You're going to have days like that. We all will. It's part of life. Just don't beat yourself up about it.
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    well.. you just ruined your diet. you will not ever lose another lb. better quit now.. and try again in a year or so...

in all honesty. so what? you had a yummy day. your entitled to that once in a while..
    personaly i try to go hard core mon-fri and let a little lose on sat/sun..
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    No change happened.. Go back to your regularly scheduled program in the morning.
    I'm willing to bet that you probably won't even see any negative feedback from your scale over this, so why fret?

Idea: Instead of feeling guilty.. Why not accept this as a little celebration? A special treat.
    It sounds like this banana bread was yummy. It's OK to treat yourself good every once in a while!

• theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    binges yt1mxd24wrta.jpg
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    @ theskinnyonme : Dead Lord! You owe me a cup of coffee as I've dumped mine over falling out of my chair. LOL.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »

A single large milkshake at a fast food place can be 1500 calories.

Really? Where are you from? I keep hearing about foods from the U.S. Etc and it boggles the mind the calories, portion sizes.

The biggest shake I know of is large megachoc from Wendy's and I haven't had one in a while but I just looked it up in MFP and it's listed as 750 calories.

I can't even imagine drinking/eating the equivalent of two megachoc shakes. Maybe as part of a novelty food eating competition.

But I am getting off topic here.