What's the strangest comment you've received?

alliesgettinghealthy
alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Related to your weight/appearance/food etc.
-One time I was eating Greek yogurt with chia seeds and a woman came up to me and said "Ewww what are you eating?" and then proceeded to tell me that it looked like I was eating bugs and it was disgusting.
-I was in an ambulance and the paramedic was getting my information. He asked me my weight and when I told him his eyes got big and he said "Wow! You don't look like you're that heavy!".

I was 152 lbs but it kind of felt like a back-handed compliment? :smile:

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Out of the blue from random person in the room in extremely intense voice- "You smell like juicy fruit gum."

Hoping that isn't a bad thing... Like the next sentence would be "My mom smelled like juicy fruit. I hate my mother. Die! "
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Some fitness crazed loser trying to tell me what I should be doing with my body like she knows her *kitten* from her elbow girlbye
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    That my morning pumpkin was alkalizing and it might help all my medical conditions. Shame, it came from a really nice person.
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    I'm allergic to gluten and when I was at college someone told me "don't worry you won't gain weight from gluten!" as if the reason I'm not eating gluten is because I was worried about gaining weight. This was after I had already told her that I was allergic.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    You look like: Carol Burnett (Not a compliment, I was wearing curly wig, auburn. Like John Travolta--the blue eyes. Like Arlo Guthrie--? my long wavy hair (what young woman doesn't want to look like Arlo Guthrie?! Best= Like Hedy Lamar - yay!! (I was 18 and wearing make-up, long dark hair.)
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    That my morning pumpkin was alkalizing and it might help all my medical conditions. Shame, it came from a really nice person.

Hysterical !!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member

Umm. Huh.
    Might um... Might want to take care of that...

*backs away slowly*
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    My mother told me in front of a room full of people that she would give me money if I could get down to a size 12. I was wearing size 12 pants at the time.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    My boss, trying to tell me I was getting thin, told me she could count all of my teeth through my cheeks :(
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    maidentl wrote: »
    My mother told me in front of a room full of people that she would give me money if I could get down to a size 12. I was wearing size 12 pants at the time.

I would've cut my tag off and handed it to her in front of everyone ans said "Where's my money?"

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Back when I lost the weight the first time, I had a doctor apologize for their scale and tell me it must not be working. The scale weighed me at 155, which was my actual weight, but at the time I had a really physical job and was pretty solid. Basically I stacked 50 lb dog food bags for a 10 hour shift.

The weirdest thing I've had lately was just a couple weeks ago. I have a fairly large coworker who really thinks she can outwalk a really high calorie diet (like I've seen her tuck away 2000 calories in her work lunch and then she goes out for dinner every night). She asked me what I was doing as it seemed to be working, so I said counting calories and walking. She interrupted me and said, "No, I mean what do you eat for breakfast?" So I listed off what I'd had for breakfast that day, which was 5 ounces of roasted beets, a 2 egg omelet, 2 turkey sausage links and 4 ounces of blueberries. So, I'm done listing it off and I'm thinking to myself, wow, that sounds like a lot of food. Anyhow, she gets this really concerned look on her face and says, "That sounds really extreme, I'm worried about you, do you really think that's normal?"

I had NO idea what to say.. lol
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    My grandpa telling me a crave cheese because I am on diet which means I cut down on cheese which is actually not true. Plus I craved cheese my entire life but, that is the way ppl see losing weight as just a painful thing to get through.
  • jasmineruth
    jasmineruth Posts: 88 Member
    A couple of coworkers told another coworker that I've lost too much weight and should have medical testing done. I think they were kidding? Same coworker asked me why I was eating sushi on a diet. I've never claimed to be on a diet. I told him I eat whatever I freaking want to eat and I'm not on a diet. Another woman at work demanded to know exactly how many pounds I have lost in front of a room full of people. Several women at work have literally grabbed my pants and squeezed the fabric together saying I need to have my pants taken in. They all mean well so I just laugh.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Back when I lost the weight the first time, I had a doctor apologize for their scale and tell me it must not be working. The scale weighed me at 155, which was my actual weight, but at the time I had a really physical job and was pretty solid. Basically I stacked 50 lb dog food bags for a 10 hour shift.

The weirdest thing I've had lately was just a couple weeks ago. I have a fairly large coworker who really thinks she can outwalk a really high calorie diet (like I've seen her tuck away 2000 calories in her work lunch and then she goes out for dinner every night). She asked me what I was doing as it seemed to be working, so I said counting calories and walking. She interrupted me and said, "No, I mean what do you eat for breakfast?" So I listed off what I'd had for breakfast that day, which was 5 ounces of roasted beets, a 2 egg omelet, 2 turkey sausage links and 4 ounces of blueberries. So, I'm done listing it off and I'm thinking to myself, wow, that sounds like a lot of food. Anyhow, she gets this really concerned look on her face and says, "That sounds really extreme, I'm worried about you, do you really think that's normal?"

I had NO idea what to say.. lol

lol. That sounds like a really lovely breakfast.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    I was told by a co-worker once that I was a white girl with a black girls booty! I couldn't tell if that was a compliment or not at the time. Now I'm glad I have some junk in my trunk.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I'm allergic to gluten and when I was at college someone told me "don't worry you won't gain weight from gluten!" as if the reason I'm not eating gluten is because I was worried about gaining weight. This was after I had already told her that I was allergic.

Some people say they are allergic when they aren't. Most people don't try to force feed you if you say your allergic.

But some are pushy if you just say no thanks or I don't like it or I don't like the texture. So they say they are allergic to pineapple so people don't buy the pizza with pineapple.

For me comment wise I have had a few people say I have lost weight or look good, one time someone said I lost a *kitten* tonne. Someone also said I look like a pow.

But that's someone I am constantly telling them they are going bald.

• ag08800
    ag08800 Posts: 16 Member
    I was overweight at the time. I was 150 and 5'4, and my job offered free Lee's Fried chicken. This co-worker who was overweight too saw me get seconds and said, "You can keep eating that fried chicken cause you're skinny." LOL, jesus. I mean, I appreciate body acceptance, but I actually was flattered.
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    I have Celiac Disease too and I always get weirded out when people associate eating gluten free with weight loss. Like I gained 20 pounds when I went gluten free???
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited April 2015
    Had a girl in a very low cut shirt come up to me while waiting for the bathrooms at a local festival. She grabbed my chest with both hands and started comparing her chest to mine. Then smiled and walked away
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    I had a random person tell me I smelled good. It was right after I had been purging and I was super paranoid that I smelled like stomach acid so I thought they were making a jab at me but apparently they were just being sincere (?)
    Also at ~105 or 110 I had a friend say "I had no idea you were that thin" when she heard about my weight. Backhanded compliment? What does that even mean? (not to mention that 110 isn't even particularly thin for my height.)