Uh oh, Finals time!

I'm 5'8" Female, pear shape, and 196 pounds at the moment, goal being 170.

I am also in college.

Anytime finals rolls in I actually forget to eat, I eat one meal a day and then lose time in reading/studying/preparing for the dreaded finals in order to pass.

Of course this puts me extremely low on my calorie intake for MFP (which is at 1200), which isn't good at all- especially since I'm still running my 10+ miles per week.

Any tips on how to remind myself to eat? I have alarms on my phone but I honestly forget to do so after I turn off the alarm.

Tempted to just hide pieces of food in my textbooks, then when I find them I can just eat. :D -kidding-

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    ArcticSero wrote: »
    Tempted to just hide pieces of food in my textbooks, then when I find them I can just eat. :D -kidding-

Funny! Maybe hiding notes reminding you to eat would be better than sticking actual food in there. :wink:

One or two days of not eating aren't the end of the world if you're good about it on other days, especially if it isn't affecting your mood or energy levels. Perhaps, rather than worry about eating more food -- because who needs more stress during Finals, right? -- just make what you do eat is a little more calorie dense. A peanut butter sandwich instead of lean turkey. Some almonds to munch on while you study. That type of thing.

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    I'm 5'8" Female, pear shape, and 196 pounds at the moment, goal being 170.

I am also in college.

Anytime finals rolls in I actually forget to eat, I eat one meal a day and then lose time in reading/studying/preparing for the dreaded finals in order to pass.

Of course this puts me extremely low on my calorie intake for MFP (which is at 1200), which isn't good at all- especially since I'm still running my 10+ miles per week.

Any tips on how to remind myself to eat? I have alarms on my phone but I honestly forget to do so after I turn off the alarm.

I agree w/the above poster. This should only be 2 weeks, so you shouldn't destroy yourself by eating very light.
    Ahh reminds me of orgochem finals. Nothing but jolt mixed into coffee and occasional cold pizza.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Just eat a high calorie breakfast and high calorie bedtime meal?
  • ArcticSero
    ArcticSero Posts: 63 Member

I agree w/the above poster. This should only be 2 weeks, so you shouldn't destroy yourself by eating very light.
    Ahh reminds me of orgochem finals. Nothing but jolt mixed into coffee and occasional cold pizza.

Actually, it's ranging for a month since I need to study extremely hard before hand as the first week of May is finals. I'm a med student, trying to get a bachelors in Biology and working towards med school so there is no slacking with me.

But as long as it's not dangerous for it to be working like this during the time then good, I am scared of messing up my current work on my weight loss as, since Janurary, I struggled to lose 6 (out of 30) pounds despite me being on a calorie deficit and working out quite a bit. I'm guessing stress is making me gain but still. :/

Reason why I try to avoid peanutbutter and any other high fat foods, along with too much fruits.
  • ArcticSero
    ArcticSero Posts: 63 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »

Funny! Maybe hiding notes reminding you to eat would be better than sticking actual food in there. :wink:

One or two days of not eating aren't the end of the world if you're good about it on other days, especially if it isn't affecting your mood or energy levels. Perhaps, rather than worry about eating more food -- because who needs more stress during Finals, right? -- just make what you do eat is a little more calorie dense. A peanut butter sandwich instead of lean turkey. Some almonds to munch on while you study. That type of thing.

Good idea with the notes, will definitely do that.

Also, it'll be ranging for about a month of studying, as finals begin 1st week of May for me, however, I always had problems remembering to eat and actually go eat. Yet I want to avoid the high fat foods, like peanut butter, since from now since January I only lost 6 pounds of my 30 pound goal. I was hoping I'd lose more, a lot more, and be closer to done however I guess luck is not on my side.

Sorry for the double posts.
  • galaxyeyed
    galaxyeyed Posts: 98 Member
    Take my calories! Finals always stress me out like crazy and I end up trying to eat everything haha. Maybe bring snacks like an fiber one bar or fruit or something with you and set it by your open book or laptop when you start studying? Then you're more likely to see it and eat.

Good luck on studying!
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Why are you avoiding fruit? I highly doubt you are eating as little as you think you are. You just might not be eating as often. Also starvation mode is not a thing even if you are indeed eating under 1200 calories a day. If you don't have a food scale akready, I would highly suggest you buy one. It was a huge eye opener for me. Stress does not make you gain weight, eating too many calories does. Sorry for being so blunt.... I mean well ☺️
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »

Good idea with the notes, will definitely do that.

Also, it'll be ranging for about a month of studying, as finals begin 1st week of May for me, however, I always had problems remembering to eat and actually go eat. Yet I want to avoid the high fat foods, like peanut butter, since from now since January I only lost 6 pounds of my 30 pound goal. I was hoping I'd lose more, a lot more, and be closer to done however I guess luck is not on my side.

Sorry for the double posts.
    Fat doesn't make you gain fat. Neither does sugar. Excess calories make you gain weight. Not eating few enough calories under your energy expenditure will make your weight loss slower. I'd be more likely to blame your slow weight loss on eating more calories than you think you are than anything else. It's not because of what types of foods you've been eating.

High fat items are more calorie dense so if you're worried about meeting your calorie goal they are the easiest way to get enough calories without eating more food.