What's the strangest comment you've received?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Guess what, if you are my boss, don't talk about my body!

Even compliments? Why can't a boss be dirndls and compliment someone on an achievement?

And not even a compliment like....wow nice booty. We are talking about complimenting someone's health.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I received really strange looks when doing some strength exercises on my office chair. With the hands on the arm rests and the butt in the air I tried to lift up my legs. Got a few raised eyebrows and funny comments.

We're a group of people here with the same hobby. We sometimes come together for a dinner in one of those terrible chain restaurants. Got a few comments about making healthy choices. Since one rather young and not really unfit member of that group got a heart attack and is making healthy choices as well there's no comments anymore.
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Older guy in my complex stops me on my way in from a morning run and says "you been working out! I see you getting those pounds off, you go girl!"... Like he's nice but "those pounds" ...Bye! Doing too much.
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    I was ordering some food at a thai eatery and the person serving me asked if I was sure I wanted that particular dish because it had chilli. I told her yes I love chilli but then she pointed at my tummy and said "but you are..." (indicating I was pregnant" when I was not.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    My family is Jamaican, and sometimes I just can't even with them- it's like they think tact is something that happens to other people.

A while ago when I went to Jamaica for a funeral (and at the time I was NOT fat, I was a size 6) one of my Aunties who I hadn't seen in 20 years rolled up on me to say "A how you fat!" (translation: my goodness, you got so fat). I didn't even reply, just walked away.
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2015
    When i was prepping for a competition and my coworkers ALWAYS eat ridiculously unhealthy foods I always declined. They would scold me and put me down and lecture me on how i shouldnt deprive myself as if i had an eating disorder! Lol

I started eating with them on occasion after my comp (gained like 20lbs because of it :| ) one time we were scarfing down some pad Thai and my assistant manager said: "omg Nancy you look so much better now that you eat like a normal person. You now even have an *kitten*"

BUT my other coworker said "actually she's always had a nice *kitten*" FTW
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Ameengyrl wrote: »
    Older guy in my complex stops me on my way in from a morning run and says "you been working out! I see you getting those pounds off, you go girl!"... Like he's nice but "those pounds" ...Bye! Doing too much.

Is that not an accurate compliment? You are losing weight and he encouraged you.

Do you measure weight in kg? Stones? Is that the issue?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Out of the blue from random person in the room in extremely intense voice- "You smell like juicy fruit gum."

Hoping that isn't a bad thing... Like the next sentence would be "My mom smelled like juicy fruit. I hate my mother. Die! "

Are you diabetic?

I have a ridiculously good sense of smell, and ketoacidosis smells exactly like Juicy Fruit to me.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Out of the blue from random person in the room in extremely intense voice- "You smell like juicy fruit gum."

Hoping that isn't a bad thing... Like the next sentence would be "My mom smelled like juicy fruit. I hate my mother. Die! "

Are you diabetic?

I have a ridiculously good sense of smell, and ketoacidosis smells exactly like Juicy Fruit to me.

Lies you just watched that episode of Csi where their big lead was the murderer wore sickly sweet cologne but it was actually because of the disease/medication
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    A nurse, taking my BP before an operation, exclaimed 'oh my goodness, for someone of your size I expected your blood pressure to be sky high'.......at my heaviest my BP was perfectly OK, NOW when I've lost 9 stones it's suddenly shot up and I'm on meds since last week
  • Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Not really a compliment but I was out with the family one day and this random stranger who had been drinking came around talking all loud to us and other people around us. He asked me how many children have I had. I told him none. And he started saying " geez you sure have let your self go.how can you get so big" :(
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Guess what, if you are my boss, don't talk about my body!

Even compliments? Why can't a boss be friendly and compliment someone on an achievement?

I may be a little formal but I would find any comments about an employee's body, diet or weight loss efforts to be inappropriate unless they initiate it, and then only polite small talk about the subject. (E.g., I had an employee very excited about juicing so we discussed some of the recipes she used.)
  • azulvioleta6
    I get so many strange/frequent comments about my ethnicity and race that the few odd things that people say about my weight/body really pale in comparison. Actually, I get lots of positive comments about my body (breasts, behind) from people who have no idea that I have lost weight. Some of this is probably cultural...there are things that most Americans wouldn't talk about that are more acceptable topics of conversation among Latinos.

Once someone asked me if I was pregnant (I was staying in a hotel near a teaching hospital) because she wanted to talk about the fact that her daughter had just had a baby. Most things roll off my back, but that question was just devastating to me. I carry ALL of my extra weight in the belly due to a medical problem. That was the first time I was at the 90-pound-loss-mark. My parents were both in the hospital and I was trying desperately not to gain weight while away from home and unable to cook for myself. I had just done an hour of Zumba and then ran back to the hotel. I immediately threw away the over-sized workout clothes that I was wearing and later got rid of all my size XXL t-shirts. Stupid woman.

I've had lots of people ask if I've had weight-loss surgery. Nope!

I've had a couple of times where people at the gym have assumed that I am a new exerciser, especially in January. Nope, I usually get 750-1000 minutes of exercise/week, silly people.
  • azulvioleta6
    edited April 2015
    Ameengyrl wrote: »

Is that not an accurate compliment? You are losing weight and he encouraged you.

Do you measure weight in kg? Stones? Is that the issue?

It's a know-your-audience kind of thing. I'm a sucker for any kind of compliment, so it wouldn't bother me at all to hear something like that from someone who is essentially a stranger.

However, I can see how someone might NOT want to be viewed as an accumulation of pounds or only as a body, but instead as a human being. There is also the element of a man "approving" a woman's body, which is kind of icky coming from someone you don't know. Skinny=good enough, fat=only worthy of being ignored is kind of the message there. I can see how someone who is introverted might be uncomfortable with this sort of attention too, because that kind of compliment potentially puts focus on a person who would rather just blend in.

Women are complicated Merkavar. Just remember to NEVER ask them if they are pregnant and you will be alright. :)
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    jontucc wrote: »
    I was ordering some food at a thai eatery and the person serving me asked if I was sure I wanted that particular dish because it had chilli. I told her yes I love chilli but then she pointed at my tummy and said "but you are..." (indicating I was pregnant" when I was not.
    I was always told that you should never assume she is pregnant unless you can actually see the baby coming out of her. :):):)
  • azulvioleta6
    gpstreet wrote: »
    I was always told that you should never assume she is pregnant unless you can actually see the baby coming out of her. :):):)

This is a good policy. :smiley:
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    I have a few people who immediately ask every time I see them 'have you lost weight' - as if they were asking about the weather. Umm, no, I actually gained weight the last three times you asked me that... feels really insincere and besides, if I don't know them well, leaves me feeling kind of scrutinised and embarrassed
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    Oh, once I also had someone describe as as a cute little blonde cockatoo - wtf?!
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    gpstreet wrote: »

This is a good policy. :smiley:

I agree- although I add the disclaimer "unless it's in your job description". I've had chemists and roller coaster people ask me if I was pregnant. I may pout a little but it's better than giving someone the wrong dosage or doing something that could cause miscarriage. However, I get that one all the time now working in child care. The young ones seem to ask everyone that though because a lot of them are going to be big sister/brothers and are verrrrrrry interested in who is and isn't pregnant.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    My weirdest 'compliment' never felt that way- in fact it had me in tears. My Co-workers had all been trying to lose weight and as I'd gained a few pounds (combination of greif and having stopping regular swims due to tattoo removal healing process). Any way i was only 5lbs over my usual weight but they told me firmly that I must have an eating disorder if I wanted to lose weight and that i was too skinny to join thier 'fat club'- in other words (as the tone implied) F**k off!. I was new to the team at the time so it really upset me.