What's the strangest comment you've received?

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Guess what, if you are my boss, don't talk about my body!

Even compliments? Why can't a boss be friendly and compliment someone on an achievement?

I may be a little formal but I would find any comments about an employee's body, diet or weight loss efforts to be inappropriate unless they initiate it, and then only polite small talk about the subject. (E.g., I had an employee very excited about juicing so we discussed some of the recipes she used.)

I agree. I truly dislike it when people I don't know well--neighbors, randoms, coworkers, and definitely bosses--comment on my body, even if they mean well. And I don't talk about others' bodies or weight loss efforts unless it's someone I know is up for the discussion. It's gross.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    When i lost weight, everyone was complimenting me and saying i look like a model. My brother said i look like "mine worker from Auschwitz"
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    edited April 2015
    When i lost weight, everyone was complimenting me and saying i look like a model. My brother said i look like "mine worker from Auschwitz"

Brother's say the nicest things. I asked mine what he thought of my pig tails once and he compared me to the witch in The Sword in the Stone- Mab, when she was being really ugly with the snout face.
    131013073343-02-disney-villains-horizontal-gallery.jpg Jerkface.
  • mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    lalabrucey wrote: »
    Oh, once I also had someone describe as as a cute little blonde cockatoo - wtf?!
    Haha, sounds like a compliment I received after losing weight: a middle aged lady with platinum blonde hair was walking her miniature dog, stopped dead in front of me and said (with a heavy Amsterdam accent): "You look like a beautiful yellow pineapple!"
    (I was wearing a very yellow coat).

On a less complimentary note, before said weight loss success I was walking down the street when a drug addict wanted money. I declined, and he replied "yes, sure, go buy some more food". When I walked away while flipping him off he did mumble some sort of apology. But it stuck.

I've also been mistaken for someone who is pregnant. Twice. But I just imagined that to be because my weight does not accumulate on my legs, but mostly on the belly. So I took it as a "you have slender legs" :wink:

• lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    lol!
  • shawnaes91
    shawnaes91 Posts: 60 Member
    When I was super skinny I never really got compliments. At that time I was probably 110 pounds. I constantly had people asking me if there as something wrong with me and if I had an eating disorder.

While being over weight I've been asked if I'm pregnant alot. My mother in law and I where in target and she started to look for baby clothes for my sister in law who was pregnant with twins. My mother started talking to some random woman about needing two of everything and the woman just instantly assumed it was me pregnant with twins and made the comment that you could definately tell I was having twins. I wasn't pregnant.

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    I've been told I have 'thighs that could feed a third world nation'. Not the strangest comment ever, but the only one that was vaguely original and not just that I'm too fat.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    My boyfriend noticed I lost weight. He can't, however, give me "normal" boyfriend compliments like "hey good job, you look good" or something like that...but we're sitting on the couch, he puts his hand on the back of my arm and says "You have nice triceps."

Idk why it cracked me up, but it did.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    duckykissy wrote: »

Brother's say the nicest things. I asked mine what he thought of my pig tails once and he compared me to the witch in The Sword in the Stone- Mab, when she was being really ugly with the snout face.
    131013073343-02-disney-villains-horizontal-gallery.jpg Jerkface.

LOL, even when they're trying to be nice, they miss the mark. My older brother saw me in my new glasses and managed "Wow, new glasses. You look.... better."
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Ryudori wrote: »
    My boyfriend noticed I lost weight. He can't, however, give me "normal" boyfriend compliments like "hey good job, you look good" or something like that...but we're sitting on the couch, he puts his hand on the back of my arm and says "You have nice triceps."

Idk why it cracked me up, but it did.

I love it. My husband ends up putting foot in his mouth "I've just noticed, there's a lot of people fatter than you now." .... That's not how compliments work dear.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Guess what, if you are my boss, don't talk about my body!

Even compliments? Why can't a boss be dirndls and compliment someone on an achievement?

And not even a compliment like....wow nice booty. We are talking about complimenting someone's health.

Some people will never be happy.

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Oddest ever- "Your eyes look like they're from a Rembrandt painting". Some 70 year old lady who came into my work. I remember just saying "uuum thanks?"

I think this was a lovely compliment. :)
  • wizzybeth
    gpstreet wrote: »
    I was always told that you should never assume she is pregnant unless you can actually see the baby coming out of her. :):):)

This is a good policy. :smiley:

I agree- although I add the disclaimer "unless it's in your job description". I've had chemists and roller coaster people ask me if I was pregnant. I may pout a little but it's better than giving someone the wrong dosage or doing something that could cause miscarriage. However, I get that one all the time now working in child care. The young ones seem to ask everyone that though because a lot of them are going to be big sister/brothers and are verrrrrrry interested in who is and isn't pregnant.

Several years ago my youngest daughter, aged 4 or 5, hugged me and buried her face in my belly, then proceeded to pat said belly with her hands - then she said "Mommy, when are you having the baby?" I said "I already did, six years ago when I had you!"

She then said "But your belly looks like a baby's in there!"

And yet it took me nearly 10 years after that to REALLY get on the fitness wagon...I tried several times, this time I am going to make it. :P She's 15 now. LOL

• wizzybeth
    Couple more...

Right after I had my #3 child I was very very heavy - I had not lost much weight between my 1st and 2nd; and nothing between #2 and #3. I saw an old boss of mine in a store and he smacked my arm and said "Packing on the pounds there, huh?" (I used to be realllly skinny when I worked for him.) I was somewhat speechless at his audacity...and later wished I had said "Well how about you get pregnant 4 times in 5 years time and see how you look?" I never think of good things to say until it's too late. (I had lost a baby in between #1 and 2)

The one that threw me for a loop the most was a friend who certainly didn't mean to insult me but she did..lol. She had lost a lot of weight and was giving me her clothes as she was shrinking out of them. Some of the things she gave me were still too small for me so I had to lose some weight to get into them. One item in particular was an awesome pair of jeans that I just loved and was so proud I could wear them....

I wore them over to her house and she looked puzzled.... "Did I give those jeans to you?" I was so proud, I said "Yes! They finally fit!" and she then took all the wind out of my sails by saying "Wow...and I thought I looked so good in them!"

I knew what she meant - she had lost a considerable amount of weight since the time she gave them to me, and she only meant that she thought she was so awesome then but still had a long way to go...but it came out all wrong. LOL
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    I went to a Dr who didn't know my highest weight was 230, I was 180 at appt and she's just looking at the number on the the chart with some disdain and asks,"well are you active? " (I work out 6days a week ) so she's checking my scoliosis and asks me to touch my toes, my nose touches my knee and she says with surprise "oh! I guess you do exercise!" I gave the raised eyebrow "ya think!?" look.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2015
    I have a couple of serious knee injuries and when I play squash I have to wear a very bulky shin to thigh knee brace.

Funniest comment was "Bloody hell - I'm playing Robocop".

Most motivating comment was "Oh look, I'm playing a cripple".
    (Boy did that person have to do a lot of running that day!)
  • Had a guy who's a friend of a friend on fb tell me I was beyond beautiful, and he would love to grow a field of me.

First of all thanks on the beautiful, second that's creepy! He went on to explain himself, and it just creeped me out even more! Needless to say blocked!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Got another. My hair dresser told me, not just my face but my whole head got smaller. And I'm thinking "oh great, apparently I looked like the Kool-aid Man before and no one thought to mention it?!"
  • wizzybeth
    Your whole head??!

I'm sure this discourse doofus meant to say your face, but lolz
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    When I worked in retail, I had a little old lady I had just served tell me to never dye my hair. O.o, well, okay, thankyou, I had no intention of doing so, but, er...

Actually, I get a lot of questioning about my hair colour. There are plenty of people - especially hairdressers - who can't believe it's natural. I really didn't think my red-gold was that odd.