What's all the hype about Shakeology?

13»

Replies

• SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    My roommate just brought a bunch of the stuff .... but doesn't work out. I hope she doesn't think she will lose weight quick. I read the ingredients of one packet and it had artificial flavor. I'd prefer real flavor. And the meal replacement is 500 calories. That's half of my calorie intake, with 'real' food I can eat 2 meals with that! I think the sad part is that .. as many of you already commented...many people think you can use the shakes and magically lose weight. But...you need to combine them with healthy real food and exercise.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited April 2015
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    I think every "diet" product works to the degree that you follow the plan exactly as directed. Following the plan usually means eating less calories then you burn. So it's pointless to spend money on products however whatever floats your boat. I'm not one to say oh this doesn't work or that's a waste of money. If people feel that's the only way they can be successful at losing weight then it's not a waste of money for them. As Jasmin220 said, sometimes spending money is what motivates people to stick to it. I'm not one of those people of course but some are so who am I to judge.

Because, like Jasmin220 also said, the weight loss is only temporary. The program doesn't teach you how to maintain your weight loss, and most people can't or won't keep using the products forever. What's the point of losing weight if you just gain it all back soon after?

I was the one who actually said the weight loss is temporary and I don't disagree with you. I'm simply saying different strokes for different folks. People will lose whatever way works for them. The bottom line is if they can't do it forever then they might just gain it back. And the same applies to MFP. If you don't count calories and watch what you eat forever, you'll regain the weight. Like any other diet, except this one is free.

I guess Jazmin quoted you in her post, but the quote function didn't work properly. My mistake.

• jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    My roommate just brought a bunch of the stuff .... but doesn't work out. I hope she doesn't think she will lose weight quick. I read the ingredients of one packet and it had artificial flavor. I'd prefer real flavor. And the meal replacement is 500 calories. That's half of my calorie intake, with 'real' food I can eat 2 meals with that! I think the sad part is that .. as many of you already commented...many people think you can use the shakes and magically lose weight. But...you need to combine them with healthy real food and exercise.

It's not 500 calories. It's 160 calories.
  • PattieCakes25
    PattieCakes25 Posts: 30 Member
    I'm actually a Beachbody coach. I have Shakeology, use it as a snack, or as a shake in the morning if Im running late. Do I swear by it? No, no I don't. And I won't I don't swear by any shakes, replacements, pills, or ANYTHING short term. I swear by getting off your butt and doing work. I swear by eating the right things, and the correct nutritions for YOUR body. Do I push Shakeology, not really. Yeah, I drink it. I don't drink it just mixed with water or milk, I add banana or PB2, or something. Taste is an opinion.
    But the workouts, I love those. The workouts is what I like. They are convenient. They work. They are easy to continue with. I am currently doing Insanity combined with weight lifting at my gym.
    Myself, as a coach, I don't push fast weightloss. I'm for doing whats healthy and what works for that individual person. Im for getting a great workout in each day.
    And as for cost, you can do Beachbody on demand for a much cheaper price than buying all the programs, and get half those programs on Beachbody On Demand.
    Even though there are people out there that bash Beachbody, it's not a gimick, its not a scheme, it's a great company. Some people don't like it, other people do. To each their own.

You want my opinion on T25, I love it! Shaun T has always been my favorite far before I became a coach.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    I used to know this one girl who was a beach body coach. I would go though her garbage and grab the empty Shakology bags and refill them with just other protein shakes. Was great fun giving them to my friends. Never actually sold any since, they were already open bags.

I had a few of them thinking it was so yummy that the went and bought real shakeology. Was good fun when they made their shake and nearly vomited from the wretched taste. The coach they bought it from wouldn't refund the money, but it was a good joke.
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    jpkrueger wrote: »

It's not 500 calories. It's 160 calories.

Actually I need to clarify...it wasn't the shakeology..it was some other meal replacement shake that she had. MY BAD...thanks for correction.
  • Carpedieznutz
    Carpedieznutz Posts: 1,166 Member
    It is a deliciously overpriced gimmick. Essentially it is supposed to leave you feeling full and nutritionally satisfied but that really varies from person to person. I enjoyed the drink and did find that it kept me feeling a bit full for a while but nothing more than any other weight loss drink or meal supplement. As for the nutrition part I physically didn't feel any different, I am pretty confident that those who do are simply inducing a placebo effect because of what Shakeology promises in the marketing and packaging. If this shake was the end all be all for nutrition they wouldn't include a healthy meal guide with recipes in their different video sets.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    OP, I just looked into it out of curiosity, to see what all the fuss is about. Two observations: their MLM sales structure is sketchy and off-putting, and you can get a better meal replacement shake without all the fuss and probably for less money.

I like having protein shakes every now and again, especially after workouts. My favourite meal replacement type of shake is Progressive Vegessential All-in-One, which is a plant-based protein powder with a bunch of other stuff. A Shakeology shake is 130 calories, 17g protein, 13g carbs, 4g fibre. The Vegessential is 180 calories, 27 protein, 8g carbs, 7g fibre. It also has a whole lot more extracts and such. So basically, Shakeology is nothing mind-blowing or new. There are loads of meal replacements out there. I pick mine up at my local grocery store and don’t have to sign up for weird subscriptions or pay way too much money so someone can make their commissions.

Edit: just did the math and Vegessential is $3.16 Canadian per serving. Still pricey as far as I’m concerned. At the end of the day, a basic cheap whey protein thrown in a blender with some kale or something is plenty good too.

For the record, nutritional info and ingredients for their “greenberry” flavour here: http://images.beachbody.com/tbb/shakeology/PDFs/Greenberry/Greenberry_Supp_Facts_ENGLISH.pdf

Their “superfood” ingredients aren’t that many, not to mention I’m not sure how beneficial all that stuff really is. In fact, if they follow the convention of listing ingredients in order of quantity, about half of their “extracts” are listed after Himalayan salt, so basically in minute quantities.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Now I'm glad I never tried it.. I do love the Beachbody workouts though!
  • Carpe_diem1983
    Carpe_diem1983 Posts: 83 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    OP, I just looked into it out of curiosity, to see what all the fuss is about. Two observations: their MLM sales structure is sketchy and off-putting, and you can get a better meal replacement shake without all the fuss and probably for less money.

I like having protein shakes every now and again, especially after workouts. My favourite meal replacement type of shake is Progressive Vegessential All-in-One, which is a plant-based protein powder with a bunch of other stuff. A Shakeology shake is 130 calories, 17g protein, 13g carbs, 4g fibre. The Vegessential is 180 calories, 27 protein, 8g carbs, 7g fibre. It also has a whole lot more extracts and such. So basically, Shakeology is nothing mind-blowing or new. There are loads of meal replacements out there. I pick mine up at my local grocery store and don’t have to sign up for weird subscriptions or pay way too much money so someone can make their commissions.

Edit: just did the math and Vegessential is $3.16 Canadian per serving. Still pricey as far as I’m concerned. At the end of the day, a basic cheap whey protein thrown in a blender with some kale or something is plenty good too.

For the record, nutritional info and ingredients for their “greenberry” flavour here: http://images.beachbody.com/tbb/shakeology/PDFs/Greenberry/Greenberry_Supp_Facts_ENGLISH.pdf

Their “superfood” ingredients aren’t that many, not to mention I’m not sure how beneficial all that stuff really is. In fact, if they follow the convention of listing ingredients in order of quantity, about half of their “extracts” are listed after Himalayan salt, so basically in minute quantities.

Everyone's feedback has been very helpful! I'm going to steer clear on this one, and stick with my vegan protein powder from gnc.
    @Emilia777 Ty for such an informative response! I love how everyone here is so positive and supportive!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Very happy to help :smile: I learned something in the process too! Good luck with everything, and holler at me if you ever want to chat about anything!