substitue sandwiches!

Hey everyone!
I've recently commited to getting in shape and want to cut out bread (it's a weakness!)
I've been brought up on sandwich, crisps, and chocolate bars. Any ideas on what to substitute for a sanwich?
I've thought of crackers but don't want to eat too much cheese, as well as sweet potatoe and salad.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks!

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited April 2015
    I like soups, chili, stew, salad, stuffed vegetables (tomato, peppers, squash), etc. If you want a "sandwich-like" meal, try wrapping your sandwich fillings in greens (collards work very well),
    DSC05250.jpg

or making cucumber subs

Cucumber%252520Sub_thumb%25255B1%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    I go with Syrian bread the stuff I eat is 60 calories for half a piece which makes a good size Sammy. That said I only have them a couple times a week
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Just eat fewer sandwiches. Unless you plan on never eating sandwiches ever again. CICO, not food choice, for weight loss.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    WP_20150415_036_zps3uyztuex.jpg

I ate 3 of these for diner last night for 124kcal
    slice of turkey, rolled around assorted greens, cilantro, dijon mustard and a little bit of cream cheese
    was delish!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I use bread but I look at labels. Some bread is crazy high in calories, others are modest. I look for whole grain because it has more fiber & protein generally.

Look for wraps, pita pockets, naan.....more variety.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    My preferred lunch is leftovers from the night prior. Are you cooking at home? Could you cook an additional portion to pack up and take with you for lunch?

I've also come to love grain based salads. They are relatively easy to cook, travel well, and most are meant to be eaten cold, so you don't need to reheat.

Tabbouleh is a bulgur based salad, with a lot of chopped fresh herbs. This one is a take on tabbouleh with chicken and a tahini based dressing.

This one is quinoa based, with shrimp and a lot of fresh veggies.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    I have also been trying to cut down on unnecessary food - like bread - because there are many other healthier options. That's not to say that I don't eat bread at all, but I can control what I eat so much more when I bring my lunch to work.

I have started bringing kale to work and eating it with my lunch meat and a tbsp of cheese (or Laughing Cow wedge). With the cheese, I don't even need dressing. I have also put the Starkist Gourmet pouches (in order of favorites: Mexican, Thai, Mediterranean) on my kale and pour the oil from the pouch on as dressing. I will also have some carrots or celery on the side (for the crunch). Ooh, another favorite is to dip the carrots or celery in the cheese or PB2. I suggest making the PB2 a day ahead and refrigerating it to give it a firmer texture (if you like that).

Queen - great idea!

Wils - what is this Syrian bread you speak of?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Salads with the fillings you would have put in the sandwich: meats; cheeses; egg, tuna or chicken salad.

I've done the opposite of the "wrap" above and wrapped a Romaine lettuce leaf around meat and cheese.

Lunch today was albacore tuna with diced cucumber and Miracle Whip. I ate it with a fork. I've also done tuna or chicken salad and eaten it with celery sticks as a scoop.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I use 80 calories tortillas (wraps) instead of bread. Bonus is they have lots of fiber and protein too.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    thanks for the great pics and ideas Queenmunchy. I going to get a cucumber tonight and make that with tuna for dinner.
    OP, not sure where you live but what about Nature's Harvest Light 100% Whole Wheat Bread. Its 80 Calories for two slices. They have it at Walmart and most supermarkest. At least in SoCal. This is my go to bread for anything needing bread...
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Lettuce wraps..
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    betuel75 wrote: »
    thanks for the great pics and ideas Queenmunchy. I going to get a cucumber tonight and make that with tuna for dinner.
    OP, not sure where you live but what about Nature's Harvest Light 100% Whole Wheat Bread. Its 80 Calories for two slices. They have it at Walmart and most supermarkest. At least in SoCal. This is my go to bread for anything needing bread...

ill have to look for that... adding it to the shopping list! thanks!

in general, i just eat a lot fewer sandwiches than i used to. i also eat more pitas and wraps

the sandwich thins have been a regular occurance for me, though i eat them mostly for breakfast (as toast with pb2 or as a home made egg mcmuffin)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Wrap your sandwich fillings in lettuce! It's quite good.
  • kelseyhall525
    kelseyhall525 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks everyone, given me some great ideas! :)
    I only eat wholemeal or seedy bread anyway (no white) it was just a way to make healthy eating interesting and creative so I stick to it!
    Thanks again!
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Thin rice cakes, I like Suzie's brand. Tomato slices can work, just choose very firm ones for a less messy experience!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Sometimes I take the sandwich fillings and put them on top of a small baked potato.
    Cucmbers sliced the long way work really well also.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Usually, I put all my sandwich fixings into a big salad instead and I find that quite satisfying. Now and then, I will make myself an open-faced sandwich on one slice of bread, heaped with extra veggies and eat with a knife and fork. I usually will do this if I am having a hamburger, pulled pork or something like that. At least the bread intake is down, which saves calories (or helps me fit in a glass of wine).