Anyone do gymnastics?

Went to my first adult gymnastics class on Tuesday night and I LOVED it! I do cheerleading but my squad does virtually NO tumbling (due to severe lack of equipment because of funding). Anyone else here do gymnastics? How do you feel it has improved your fitness? And how long did it take you to improve your skills? In summer I'm hoping to do the class every week :blush:

Replies

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Still a little bit, but really was actively participating while growing up (ages 4-19). Loved it ....loved it and LOVED it. It is such great exercise and so fun (but never felt like actual 'work' to me). I have access to uneven bars on occasion and still pump out a routine (I have to be careful due to an accident injury from a car years ago). I would love to do a floor routine with some serious tumbling. I find that I use my gymnastics background frequently in my workouts - even if it is just little things here and there.

So, as far as taking time to improve...I can't really answer to that...but I hope you have a wonderful time taking your class! You'll find your strength and flexibility improving in no time! Just warm up ahead of time!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I just went to a gymnastics fundamentals class last night. It seems to be geared more towards applying the gymnastics principles of body positioning, etc to other forms of exercise. If nothing else, I'm going to have a really strong core. It wasn't really aimed at doing routines or tumbling, but I still liked it
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    We incorporate quite a few gymnastic moves in crossfit, so I'm slowly working on improving skills in this area.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    That's so fun! I use to cheer in college and I miss that bod it gave me hahaha. Unfortunately, I think I'm too old for even an adult gymnastics class now... But when I go to this warehouse full of trampolines with my kids, all the old cheerleading jumps and gymnastics tumbling definitely comes out!
  • AllanMisner
    Unfortunately, I think I'm too old for even an adult gymnastics class now... But when I go to this warehouse full of trampolines with my kids, all the old cheerleading jumps and gymnastics tumbling definitely comes out!

If 31 is too old, then we need to spread the word. There's plenty of 40's, 50's and 60's doing gymnastic moves in crossfit. They don't know they're too old.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Unfortunately, I think I'm too old for even an adult gymnastics class now... But when I go to this warehouse full of trampolines with my kids, all the old cheerleading jumps and gymnastics tumbling definitely comes out!

If 31 is too old, then we need to spread the word. There's plenty of 40's, 50's and 60's doing gymnastic moves in crossfit. They don't know they're too old.

@AllanMisner I never said I was too old for gymnastics moves. I said I was too old for an adult gymnastics class. I understand that some gymnastics gyms have insurance issues with having students over a certain age (usually 26) so I would be too old for gymnastics classes.
  • AllanMisner

@AllanMisner I never said I was too old for gymnastics moves. I said I was too old for an adult gymnastics class. I understand that some gymnastics gyms have insurance issues with having students over a certain age (usually 26) so I would be too old for gymnastics classes.

Crossfit doesn’t discriminate.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member

There'd be some around that don't have an age limit depending on where you live so don't let that stop you
  • Bailey_432
    Bailey_432 Posts: 55 Member
    Ahh it's great to hear some replies! Yeah, age should NEVER be a limiting factor! I thought I was old just starting out with my first class at 19, but I was very wrong and many people just start out much later in life!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    What happened! I promised myself I would never go a day without a backbend, walk-over and splits! Thanks for reminding me to get back to it! Best exercises ever!
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Never officially bc of money but I've always been hyperflexible since I was young. Self taught tumbler here :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    That seems odd to have an adult gymnastics class that only serves a tiny tiny fraction of the adult population.
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    I am 34 and I take adult gymnastics for 2 - 4 hours a week (3 different gyms) and LOOOOVE it! 2 hours are classes for adults and the other is 2 hours at a Parkour open gym hosted by a gymnastics facility. I started as an adult - I wanted to take classes so badly as a kid but the area where I grew up only really had 1 gym close by and it was expensive. It has greatly improved my core strength and back strength, along with overall muscle strength. About 6 months ago I was puzzled because my bra strap that goes around my chest was tight, but overall I had lost a little bit of weight. When I looked in the mirror I realized it was because the muscles that work hard in handstands and pulling me up on bars (maybe latissimus dorsi?) had really developed! I went from no skills about 1.5 years ago to now having some tumbling like ROBHS, RO2BHS, front tuck, a WAY better cartwheel and roundoff than I had when I was a kid, handstand with good form and working on back extension roll and back tuck. On bars I have probably up to level 3 skills and on beam I have basic skills and am working on cartwheel. For the first year or so I was only taking classes 1 hour per week, it's only recently that I've found/added the other hours. I also do lots of conditioning/stretching at home, so that has probably helped. There is an awesome community of adult gymnasts on a facebook group - message me if you'd like the info.
  • marathon_44
    marathon_44 Posts: 62 Member
    Yes! I'm 43 and still 10 at heart when it comes to gymnastics. I LOVE challenging young pups to handstand contests. Particularly after I've been drinking. :smile:
  • Bailey_432
    Bailey_432 Posts: 55 Member
    There are so many good things that come from it! Its a serious muscle workout (I ached for daaaays afterwards haha), and it seems to bring out a childish playfulness and energy in everyone who does it! Happy flipping everyone :')
  • gymnastdanni
    gymnastdanni Posts: 5 Member
    Shout out to all you former gymnasts, and to all those who are just getting into the gymnastics world. After doing it for 7 years (20 hours a week those last 5 years), it really has become a part of me. I think many of you will agree that doing gymnastics changes how you see action movies, how you feel about CrossFit "pull-ups", maybe even how you feel about physics and gravity. Gymnastics is such a wonderful sport that you can really only do to its full intensity at a young age. That's the sad part.

I am also an ex-gymnast. I miss it terribly, so I have started a workout series incorporating gymnastics-inspired moves. Thus far on my YouTube channel I've got "Warm-Up Like a Gymnast", "Stretch Like a Gymnast", and a handstand drill (with modifications for non-gymnast) for core and shoulder strength. I am going to post more videos where I "gymnast-ify" common fitness exercises like squats, lunges to make them more interesting and fun.

I hope all former gymnasts and all who want to incorporate more gymnastics into your workout enjoy these videos. If the link below doesn't show up, just go to YouTube and search "WorkoutWednesday by GreenEyedGuide".
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Ex-competitive gymnast here, looking for a career in coaching adult classes!

I literally posted something about this last week, and people were telling me "At least in the U.S., there is a very very small market for adult gym coaches" and so on and so forth.

I am extremely passionate about gymnastics it's a recreational way to get fit, lean, flexible, improve mobility, and do cool-*kitten* moves you never thought you'd be able to do! It's an incredible experience learning to do amazing things with your body and being able to workout in a FUN environment. Most of all my it is a recreational, non judgemental, and NON competitive way to enjoy gymnastics. It's a way to learn new things without the pressure to be perfect, train hours and hours and hours in the gym, give up your social life, and high-stress which comes along with competition.

Additionally, gymnastics includes 4 events and also the use of trampoline/foam pits, they have a spring floor for low impact running (and tumbling), many mats and generally a facility that offers a safe environment!!

It all depends on where you're starting out but very beginner goals i would say something along the lines of:
    3 months for right, left, and middle splits
    2 months for basic skills like handstands, cartwheels, back walk overs, round offs
    3-4 months for assisted flip flops
    6 months for unassisted flip flops
    6+months for tumbling including back tuck, layouts, half and fulls, punch fronts, arials, etc.

That's assuming your class is only doing floor type tumbling, some trampoline, and conditioning. Most of these adult classes don't work on beam, vault, or bar skills.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Shout out to all you former gymnasts, and to all those who are just getting into the gymnastics world. After doing it for 7 years (20 hours a week those last 5 years), it really has become a part of me. I think many of you will agree that doing gymnastics changes how you see action movies, how you feel about CrossFit "pull-ups", maybe even how you feel about physics and gravity. Gymnastics is such a wonderful sport that you can really only do to its full intensity at a young age. That's the sad part.

I am also an ex-gymnast. I miss it terribly, so I have started a workout series incorporating gymnastics-inspired moves. Thus far on my YouTube channel I've got "Warm-Up Like a Gymnast", "Stretch Like a Gymnast", and a handstand drill (with modifications for non-gymnast) for core and shoulder strength. I am going to post more videos where I "gymnast-ify" common fitness exercises like squats, lunges to make them more interesting and fun.

I hope all former gymnasts and all who want to incorporate more gymnastics into your workout enjoy these videos. If the link below doesn't show up, just go to YouTube and search "WorkoutWednesday by GreenEyedGuide".

Nice! I'll have to take a peek. What caught my attention was "how you feel about Crossfit pull-ups) - I'm still laughing because I had a true gut reaction when I first saw someone do those. That is how some kids used to do them in kindergarten when they tried to make it over the bar! Sorry, but you will never find me doing that. If I'm going to kip, it will be up to an uneven bar to circle around it!! :D