Feeling fed up :(

Had a massive row with hubby yesterday felt really rubbish and down. Turned to food an drink just for some escape and now I'm angry with myself. Same old circle and really need to break the habit of turning to food :/ any tips pls?

Replies

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    I was in this cycle for a long time, still am sometimes. What helped me is that I found something else to sink my anger and feelings into. I also put distance between me and food so it's not a larger temptation since it's just right there.
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Can you turn to exercise instead? I mean it. If you can talk a walk or go for a run instead you'll get the same rush that you get from the food but instead of feeling guilty and gross from overeating you will feel good for having done something good for yourself. Trust me I was the biggest stress eater I know, if I can do it, you can too.
  • adamitri
    Sarasari wrote: »
    Can you turn to exercise instead? I mean it. If you can talk a walk or go for a run instead you'll get the same rush that you get from the food but instead of feeling guilty and gross from overeating you will feel good for having done something good for yourself. Trust me I was the biggest stress eater I know, if I can do it, you can too.

lol, this is exactly hat I do! I hit the pavement or the punching bag,, >.>
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited April 2015
    Sarasari wrote: »

I had this 'complication'. He wasn't my boyfriend but he wasn't 'just a friend' either. He was consistently disappointing me. It would upset me a LOT. So every time he disappointed me, I would get on the elliptical until I felt better. Then out of the blue, he decided he never wanted to see me again.

I just repeated over and over again, "All he did was disappoint me, but I WILL NOT disappoint myself."

The last time he saw me was 16 pounds ago and now the mantra is simply "I will not disappoint myself."

It really works.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    sockmad wrote: »
    Had a massive row with hubby yesterday felt really rubbish and down. Turned to food an drink just for some escape and now I'm angry with myself. Same old circle and really need to break the habit of turning to food :/ any tips pls?

First off, no need to be angry with yourself. In time of need you had to turn to something that comforts you, in many of our cases, that is food.

The way I was able to handle such situations, you will need patience and practice. Your daily diary logging is your best friend, in my humble opinion. When you daily log everything you eat, no matter good or bad, you automatically start thinking about what you put in your mouth. The binge and overeating slowly gets under control and before you know it, you are subconsciously thinking about how much to eat etc.

This will take patience and practice. Just keep at it. Log the good, the bad, and the ugly and I am confident that you will get control of your eating habits.

Good luck in your future adventures :)
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Faithful via the fat suit. I believe people turn to unhealthy habits instead of facing the issues in their relationships and demand better for themselves. If the relationship is mostly functional it's hard to upset that apple cart, so we dip it all in caramel and eat it. I'm not suggesting to know or understand your particular dynamic with hubby, but I do know what it's like to turn to food instead of turning to calm reflection on what I want from my relationships. Don't mentally go over the food you just had one more moment, instead today be confident in your ability to not repeat it!
    Best of luck!
  • MadtownMadisonian
    MadtownMadisonian Posts: 66 Member
    I haven't broken this habit yet myself. But I've started keeping better grab-and-eat foods in the fridge, so when I do begin to binge or eat from emotion, the easiest thing to grab is mounds of salad or carrots or such. The higher-calorie stuff all needs cooking, so I don't bother with it. Eventually I need to follow the advice above and find a non-eating way to deal with everything, but at least this way I don't wind up feeling worse after I've eaten than I did before.

Regardless - this is one event on one day. Tomorrow always starts fresh. My proverb? Fall down seven times, stand up eight.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    There was a BBC documentary a while back about different types of over eating and different strategies to combat them. Here are their recommendations for emotional eaters.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/rightdiet/emotional_eaters.pdf
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    When I was married, whenever my hub and I got into an argument, I would head out the door and take a bike ride. It helped clear my head and calm me down so that when I got back, it would be easier to resolve whatever issue we had. So it was a win-win method for me.
  • Needtobeonthebeach
    Needtobeonthebeach Posts: 92 Member
    I think everyone has ate their feelings at one point or another. I think it's okay once in a while. Food and alcohol can be relaxing. Just don't let it happen again. Next time you're mad at him or you get into a fight with anyone take out your aggression in the gym, or better yet find some peace of mind in a yoga class. I find that when I do yoga I lost almost all desire to overeat. Same with any exercise really.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    When I'm really upset I clean something, cupboards, a closet and if it's really bad my oven!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    I turn to cleaning a lot lately too rosehips... When I was going through my breakup a few years back, my apt was eternally spotless! You could eat off the floor under the fridge even...Lmfao!!
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Find something else to replace the emotional eating with like exercise. I get out the house and hit the park or the gym when I know I'm about to binge. This saves me from bingeing 50% of the time which is very successful in my book!

Also, maybe try reading/studying. I sometimes break open my old dusty calculus or differential equations textbook when I'm feeling depressed. It makes me realize how much I've forgotten.... so I then frequent some websites like physicsforum which I love.

• cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    What do you all do at work? I am careful generally about keeping food away from my desk but the other day I lost it (quietly) and scarfed down some leftover snacks from an event. The thing is, I am trying to settle myself down to focus on my task so going for a walk isn't an option. I got into the bad habit of food=writing. My very slender co worker also snacks and works but she has genetics on her side.
  • Kim_1971
    Kim_1971 Posts: 11 Member
    Maybe you could try turning all that anger into a punching bag instead of food. Do you use a gym? Somebody once suggested putting an old used tire on a tree outside and beating it with a baseball bat. Therapeutic and calorie shredding :)
  • adamitri
    Kim_1971 wrote: »
    Maybe you could try turning all that anger into a punching bag instead of food. Do you use a gym? Somebody once suggested putting an old used tire on a tree outside and beating it with a baseball bat. Therapeutic and calorie shredding :)

Oh that sounds fun but my neighbors would probably call the police on me. :|
  • NowSteffy50
    NowSteffy50 Posts: 33 Member
    I have a slightly different approach. When I feel that the comfort binge is inevitable then I have a big spoonful of peanut butter (nothing else). It makes your mouth feel satisfied. It is just sweet enough and it is such a dominant flavor / smell that it overtakes any other craving. It kinda stops me in my tracks without too much impact on my day's diary.

And the other thing is to keep the diary honest. Put it down in black and white, and then afterwards you can review it and decide if it was worth it.
  • sockmad
    sockmad Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all so much . I have taken it all on board and will find another comfort other than food. I feel much better just hearing you all give me advice. Thanks again xx